PDA

View Full Version : 09 Cheetah STS dampner

PGshooter
05-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Does any one have suggestions to keep this rubber STS dampner on the rod? I've tried hot glue, fletch tite and suggestions from Martin Archery to have 1/8th clearance & if that didn't work trim some off the rod. Every time I shot an arrow this thing would fly off and I'd have to go look for it. Didn't work and now I've lost the dampner. I notice in the '09 catalogue a rod and dampner can be ordered . Currently my bow has the straight carbon rod. Does the bend in the rod make a difference? Any suggestions/info is appreciated.

Martin4life
06-24-2009, 03:39 PM
i have that with the CCS on my 09 Bengal, no problems and over 500 rounds through her. Make sure you have 1/16th -1/8th of string clearance as suggested for best results, and make sure its centered between the 4 dimples on the rubber.

Garett
06-26-2009, 07:08 AM
I purchased the STS for my bow & shot about 500 arrows before the bumper began popping off with every shot. To remedy this I put the bumper back on the rod & squeezed a small amount of super glue under the edge of it to hold it to the rod. I have now shot about 200 arrows & it has not come off since. I was considering replacing the bumper with the SIMMS version anyways.

bfisher
06-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Those rubber dampeners don't just fly off. They can't because the string hitting it should hold it on the rod. What sometimes happens is that the string isn't hitting it in the center or somehow is sliding down the side of the dampener during it's "overtravel" and on the return stroke is pulling, tearing, ripping the stopper off the rod.

What you have to do is find out what causes the string to pass down along the side and which side. A little ingenuity here goes a long way. Maybe some lipstick on the side of the stopper would help tell you something. Ya have to start somewhere.

Then maybe twisting the rod a little to center the string. Maybe there is too much cam lean and the string is flopping sideways during the shot. Play with sliding the rod in or out to move the stopper away from the string about 1/8". If that doesn't work then try it right against the string. My bow seems to like the stopper right against the string.

And, as has been said, a little rubber cement might help, but it shouldn't be necessary. Find the underlying cause before putting the bandaid on the wound.

twindragon
07-10-2009, 11:17 AM
Does any one have suggestions to keep this rubber STS dampner on the rod? I've tried hot glue, fletch tite and suggestions from Martin Archery to have 1/8th clearance & if that didn't work trim some off the rod. Every time I shot an arrow this thing would fly off and I'd have to go look for it. Didn't work and now I've lost the dampner. I notice in the '09 catalogue a rod and dampner can be ordered . Currently my bow has the straight carbon rod. Does the bend in the rod make a difference? Any suggestions/info is appreciated.

I had the same issu. i recenterd the rod fixed it but just in case i put a black zip tie on it :)

alex
07-10-2009, 01:35 PM
If nothing else works, drill it and put a pin/peg. But first do what bfisher said :)

SandSquid
07-10-2009, 01:43 PM
What you have to do is find out what causes the string to pass down along the side and which side. A little ingenuity here goes a long way. Maybe some lipstick on the side of the stopper would help tell you something.

Spray it w/ some "foot powder".

And, as has been said, a little rubber cement might help, but it shouldn't be necessary.

A Golf Pro shop should be able to give you a squeeze of appropriate glue to adhere rubber to metal. regular old "rubber cement", the kind kids used to sniff to get a buzz in art class, works well...

I would not use cyanoacrylate based fast-acting glues as they get brittle after curing. they are not designed to withstand repeated impacts