PDA

View Full Version : Arm problems

Montalaar
06-08-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey folks.

I have nearly no time to post here although i visit this forum every day, but i have a question/problem for you to think about.

I took part at a shooting in the Netherlands around two weeks ago. I was so nervous that i had major problems with my draw weight and had also a few nearly misses (really scary! shot around 6 arrows into the 3m zone!).

Since then i have a loss of muscular strength in my right arm so i cannot pull my 60lbs bow. I barely can pull my 45lbs bow. Do you have any ideas what to do?

bfisher
06-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Please elaborate Simon. Is this a physical problem or mental?

Montalaar
06-09-2009, 02:28 AM
I fear it is kind of physical.

yesterday i had major problems with my left arm also without touching a bow for days. i am trying to find out if i can do anything against it with keeping the arm in motion and so on..

alex
06-09-2009, 04:24 AM
Simon, i think you should quit archery for a while and visit a doctor.Don't try to shoot because it may go much worse and become a permanent injury.I'm sure a good rest will fix you :) Good luck and be healthy!

bfisher
06-09-2009, 07:39 AM
I'll try to explain something and then tell you what my problem was a couple years ago. Then you can see how it relates.

I used to shoot around 60# for just about everything--just two years ago. I came down with a lot of pain in my left shoulder, radiating into the neck. There was no apparent reason for it. No injury or anything. It just happened. In a matter of a few weeks I wnt from shooting my bows at about 55# to not being able to roll over my new Scepter 4 at even 40#.

The pain persisted for about three weeks to a month, during which time I finally got to see a doctor, who sent me to an orthopedic surgeon. Two steroid shots, Xrays and MRI later showed some wear to the shoulder, but not enough to account for the pain I had. During this time the pain went suddenly away, but muscle loss in the shoulder and deltoid was severe, about 40%.

He referred me to another doctor who did an EMG. EMG is a test of the nerves. Needles are placed in the wrist and hand area. Another set is put in the shoulder/back area and electrical impulses sent through the shoulder/arm to the needles in the hand. Purpose is to see how long it takes the impulses to go from point A to point B, showing how well the nerves are working. His findings were, to put it bluntly, not good. He then referred me for an MRI of the neck.

MRI of the neck showed a herniated disc. Now it's off to the neurosurgeon for the third time in 15 years. OK, so I got the neck fixed up. Now consider that this whole scenerio takes place from the middle of March to the Middle of July 2007.

After two months to let bones heal in the neck I started shooting again---with a Genisis set at 15#. It was all I could draw and that was a struggle. Mass weight was another matter. I could not hold up 4#. Groups were about 18" at 15 yards. I finally reached a point where I could shoot my real bow at 27# after about 3 months.

I'm slowly recovering (still) and am now able to shoot at about 45-47# with my FireCat and those 18" groups are a thing of the past. After about a year shooting nothing but 15 yards just to build up some muscle I'm finally able to hold about 4" groups at 40 yards.

It's been a long road back and I'll never have the strength or stamina that I once had, but now it's getting to be fun again The last two months has really showed improvement.

OK, SO WHAT WAS AILING ME? Came down to a thing called "Acute Brachial Plexus Neuritis". Do a Google search and see if anything relates to you. It's an uncommon malady, often overlooked, as in my case. After going through a possible unnecessary surgery and the resultant recovery my Family doctor had to admit that ABPN would certainly explain the a lot of the symptoms I had---almost all of them.

This is not to alarm you. Just something to have knowledge about in the event you need to see a doctor because they rarely diagnose this right.

SandSquid
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Please seek qualified medical examination!

If I had cought the injury in my left shoulder in time, I would probably not have COMPLETELY torn my Bicep tendon and Labrum, and not been able to shoot right handed for MANY MANY MONTHS. Initial injury was October of 2008, complete tear was early December 2008. surgery January 2009, second surgery April 2009.... I can just no lift my recurve bow with my right arm. (But don't tell my Doc I've been shooting lefty ;-)

flytier17
06-10-2009, 11:36 AM
I can't really add anything to the advice already given. I have never experienced a similar occurance. I can only wish you well in resolving this matter!

Take care,
Alec

Montalaar
06-11-2009, 04:51 AM
Okay, let us see.

@barry
I am sure that i have no major injury around the neck, the bones or the back muscles or at least the nerves affecting my arm muscles. My nerves are working really well as i have tested that myself at university.

Furthermore i am very sure that the muscle is not that much damaged as i feared of because i begin to regain strength without training it but relaxing and trying to keep much stress away.

As i cannot visit a doctor today and i have no time this weekend i give myself another week to see what happens. If i am not recovering as fast as i am hoping i will visit a doctor next thursday.

Thanks for your recent postings.

bfisher
06-11-2009, 08:13 AM
Okay, let us see.

@barry
I am sure that i have no major injury around the neck, the bones or the back muscles or at least the nerves affecting my arm muscles. My nerves are working really well as i have tested that myself at university.

Furthermore i am very sure that the muscle is not that much damaged as i feared of because i begin to regain strength without training it but relaxing and trying to keep much stress away.

As i cannot visit a doctor today and i have no time this weekend i give myself another week to see what happens. If i am not recovering as fast as i am hoping i will visit a doctor next thursday.

Thanks for your recent postings.

Thank goodness and good for you. I can assure you you don't want to get what I had. Just in the last few weeks I've been able to draw 50#, but with almost as much effort as I was drawing 15# two years ago. Just this week I added 1/2 turn to the limbs, so now I'm just under 47#, and hope to do this about once a week. It's been two years, a long road back. If I worked out at a gym there's no doubt I'd be stronger and it would have been quicker, but the pshycological aspect has had a profound effect on me. At least now I'm getting to the point where I can aim more solidly. Now I have to work harder on aiming at the spot although that is getting better recently, too.

Wish you luck.

Barry

Montalaar
06-18-2009, 12:39 PM
Just to keep you up to date.

I was shooting for two hours today. Before going to practice i checked if i was able to pull the bow at 60 lbs and i could. With that in mind i shot around 50 arrows today without any problems. I am going to apply some salve to keep the muscles warm and will see what happens tomorrow.

alex
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Great to hear this, Simon, but please be careful! :)

Montalaar
06-21-2009, 10:47 AM
Took part on a torunament today (german championship series) and had no problem with anything (beside some mental problems i have to work on). I will keep you up to date if anything weird happens.

bfisher
06-21-2009, 04:08 PM
So glad to hear that seems to be just temporary. You have to watch out for those mental problems though. They often have a permanent effect, which sucks. You know what they say. The mind is a terrible thing to waste.