PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a problem with my Firecat?

Cameron3395
06-16-2009, 07:26 PM
I bought an 08 Firecat back in March. It is my first bow and I wasn't able to shoot it until recently because I hurt my back. The problem I'm having is the rubber piece on the end of the string suppressor (STS) keeps coming off. The first one did and I didn't know it and lost it. Of course I called Martin and had another one in just a couple of days. Not knowing that it came off I kept shooting and it caused a small smash looking area in my string. Not tore or anything. Well today I was shooting after I put the new rubber piece on and noticed it came off again, well actually my wife saw it. The thing is it's not just falling off. It's shooting backwards like it's ejecting a shell or something. I put it back on and shot a 30 yard shot which I stand about 10 feet from my house. It came off so hard I heard it hit the siding on my house. Also, the rubber piece on the end of the cable system keeps trying to come off. I had to take it to the shop about a month ago cause some of the screws in the cam and the draw stop came loose. First off, is there a problem causing the rubber on my STS to keep shooting off? Second do I have a lemon? LOL Sorry for so long but I'm nervous I might have got a bad one. Thanks for any advice or help. BTW, I'm calling Martin in the morning. It was to late to do it today. Also, one more question. When I bought my Firecat I specifically asked for an 09 and they told me the one I have is an 09. Well when I was talking on the phone the other day with Martin they told me I have an 08 because of the older cable system. I know not that big of a deal but they lied to me and I really wanted an 09. You think they would trade it for an 09 if I pushed the issue and would I be a jerk if I did push the issue? Thanks

alex
06-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Cameron, first of all if you've purchased a 09 bow and received a 08 this is a crime, especially if you've paid the price of a 09 bow. :mad: Second put some glue on the rubber on the cable rod and it'll stop with its attempts to fall ;) Third - about the STS - if it's not mounted correctly it will keep flying.Some other guys also have complained about the same issue.The STS must be about 1 or 2 mm away from the string and it must hit it in the middle, i think.I've made a homemade STS with a larger rubber part and have no problems with it- i think that the factory one has too small rubber stop, which doesn't absorb enough the power of the stroke (may be i'm wrong-i haven't tried the STS,just seen the pictures).Good luck!

Jake-the-snake
06-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Correct me if im wrong, but I believe why your STS rubber end comes off is because when the string hits the STS, it doesnt necessarily just stop there, (although some are designed to stop the string right there), The STS's on the Martins are designed that when the string hits it, it will absorb the shock, but the string usually slides past it as well, but not as much as if there was no STS there, and then when the string comes back it might "catch" the rubber end and push it off. Some sort of stronger glue usually stops the rubber end from coming off, although my Firecat has no glue on the rubber end and it stays on just fine. Also on my '08 Firecat the rubber thing on the cable rod doesnt come off, but the one on the draw stop came off and i havent been able to find it, but it hasnt done anything to throw off my shooting.

bfisher
06-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Cameron, first of all if you've purchased a 09 bow and received a 08 this is a crime, especially if you've paid the price of a 09 bow. :mad: Second put some glue on the rubber on the cable rod and it'll stop with its attempts to fall ;) Third - about the STS - if it's not mounted correctly it will keep flying.Some other guys also have complained about the same issue.The STS must be about 1 or 2 mm away from the string and it must hit it in the middle, i think.I've made a homemade STS with a larger rubber part and have no problems with it- i think that the factory one has too small rubber stop, which doesn't absorb enough the power of the stroke (may be i'm wrong-i haven't tried the STS,just seen the pictures).Good luck!

Cameron,

I agree with Alex that if you specified a 2009 bow then you should have recieved just that. The main difference between the 2008 and 2009 is the change from a cable rod to the CCS, which I'm not completely sold on. However, that is an issue you need to take up with Martin.

Dealing with the STS is another matter. Contrary to what Alex mentioned the purpose of the STS is to stop the string in it's tracks, so to speak. Apparently yours is not adjusted right and the string, instead of stopping, is sliding down along the side and ripping the stopper off on the return swing. This is something you might be able to adjust yourself. Maybe it's mounted too far back putting undo pressure on the string and/or it's not twisted right and is hitting off center.

To adjust it there is a set screw on the side of the riser. Loosen it and you should be able to slide the rod forward or backward some and be able to twist the rod to center the stopper. When adjusted right there should be a very slight gap between the stopper and the string. Some like as much as 1/8". I set mine right against the string (mine's a 2008).

It might be necessary to remove the rod and cut a little bit off the end to give it room to slide forward. Use a file to chamfer the end and remove any burrs caused by the set screw. Install the thing, center it and then use rubber cement to hold the stopper on if necessary. Try it without glue first.

Before you do any of this check the bow for excessive cam lean. If too severe this might be part of the problem, causing the string to whip side to side and could be the crux of the problem in the first place. If there is too much cam lean then you need to return the bow to your dealer for repair and/or limb replacement as there is no adjustment for this with Cat cam system.

Keep in touch.

alex
06-18-2009, 11:49 AM
"Dealing with the STS is another matter. Contrary to what Alex mentioned the purpose of the STS is to stop the string in it's tracks, so to speak. Apparently yours is not adjusted right and the string, instead of stopping, is sliding down along the side and ripping the stopper off on the return swing. This is something you might be able to adjust yourself. Maybe it's mounted too far back putting undo pressure on the string and/or it's not twisted right and is hitting off center."

Barry, this is exactly what i've meant, may be my english isn't good enough, which caused the misunderstanding. ;)

Cameron3395
06-18-2009, 10:30 PM
Thank you very much. I got the STS fixed. How do I check for the cam lean you mentioned?
Cameron,

I agree with Alex that if you specified a 2009 bow then you should have recieved just that. The main difference between the 2008 and 2009 is the change from a cable rod to the CCS, which I'm not completely sold on. However, that is an issue you need to take up with Martin.

Dealing with the STS is another matter. Contrary to what Alex mentioned the purpose of the STS is to stop the string in it's tracks, so to speak. Apparently yours is not adjusted right and the string, instead of stopping, is sliding down along the side and ripping the stopper off on the return swing. This is something you might be able to adjust yourself. Maybe it's mounted too far back putting undo pressure on the string and/or it's not twisted right and is hitting off center.

To adjust it there is a set screw on the side of the riser. Loosen it and you should be able to slide the rod forward or backward some and be able to twist the rod to center the stopper. When adjusted right there should be a very slight gap between the stopper and the string. Some like as much as 1/8". I set mine right against the string (mine's a 2008).

It might be necessary to remove the rod and cut a little bit off the end to give it room to slide forward. Use a file to chamfer the end and remove any burrs caused by the set screw. Install the thing, center it and then use rubber cement to hold the stopper on if necessary. Try it without glue first.

Before you do any of this check the bow for excessive cam lean. If too severe this might be part of the problem, causing the string to whip side to side and could be the crux of the problem in the first place. If there is too much cam lean then you need to return the bow to your dealer for repair and/or limb replacement as there is no adjustment for this with Cat cam system.

Keep in touch.

Jake-the-snake
06-19-2009, 06:55 AM
Hold an arrow against your cam, so that it is pointing towards the other cam, and if the arrow runs paralell with the string there is no cam lean, however if it doesnt run paralell there is cam lean, although slight cam lean will not alter a shot very little, if not at all. I can still shoot great groups out past 50 or 60 yards with my Firecat, and I have slight cam lean.

bfisher
06-19-2009, 07:09 AM
"Dealing with the STS is another matter. Contrary to what Alex mentioned the purpose of the STS is to stop the string in it's tracks, so to speak. Apparently yours is not adjusted right and the string, instead of stopping, is sliding down along the side and ripping the stopper off on the return swing. This is something you might be able to adjust yourself. Maybe it's mounted too far back putting undo pressure on the string and/or it's not twisted right and is hitting off center."

Barry, this is exactly what i've meant, may be my english isn't good enough, which caused the misunderstanding. ;)

OK Alex. My bad. I was referring to Jake's post. Sorry I got it wrong. We;re certainly on the same page and your English is just fine. Me being an old fart, I go brain dead once in a while.

alex
06-19-2009, 08:47 AM
:D Barry, it's quite funny to speak of yourself as of an old man, someone that doesn't know your age may believe you. My grandfathers are old, you are Experienced. ;)

bfisher
06-19-2009, 04:56 PM
I'll be 62 the 29th of this month. Ten more days. When I was younger I got brain farts once in a while. Now they are called "senior moments" and happen more often.

Cameron3395
06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Hold an arrow against your cam, so that it is pointing towards the other cam, and if the arrow runs paralell with the string there is no cam lean, however if it doesnt run paralell there is cam lean, although slight cam lean will not alter a shot very little, if not at all. I can still shoot great groups out past 50 or 60 yards with my Firecat, and I have slight cam lean.

Thank you for your help.