PDA

View Full Version : couple questions before new purchase

tuneman
06-17-2009, 05:56 AM
im purchasing a new bow and im trying to decide on some of the options,

the moab looks pretty tempting as it has the ccs and sts already installed, i did first consider the bengal but thought i would probably like to add those accesories later on anyway, other than that they appear pretty much identical, is this right? or is there other differences :)

most importantly though it appears to me, but i might not be right! but most bows now seem to be geared towards mechanical release, and i assume thats the reason theres an option of 65% let off.
can i get a good smooth release with my fingers with the 80? is the 65% better or is it just a matter of practice.

what controls the let off? is it something that can be changed later on:|

SandSquid
06-17-2009, 08:12 AM
What is more important if you intend to shoot fingers is a long Axle to Axle
I don't personally think either of these bows are well suited for a finger shooter

what controls the let off? is it something that can be changed later on:|

let-off is determined by cam modules, yes they can be changed later.

alex
06-17-2009, 09:23 AM
tuneman, if you are certain that you'll shoot with fingers you must take a bow with a longer axle to axle, such as the Scepter or the Warthog, but of course they are more expensive.I have a 08 MOAB and used to shoot with fingers. Now i have a release and can say that my accuracy is greatly improved.Release shooting is not difficult at all, you just need a D-loop(something you can make for seconds) and half a dozen shots to get used to shoot with it. :)

SandSquid
06-17-2009, 10:31 AM
tuneman, if you are certain that you'll shoot with fingers you must take a bow with a longer axle to axle, such as the Scepter or the Warthog,

I think the Warthog is on the short side @ only 35 A/A

Perhaps the Mystic @ 39 1/4 A/A.. I know I enjoy shooting my wife's Mystic with fingers just fine.

Now the Scepter is just WOWzers but it has a pricetag to match.

alex
06-17-2009, 01:57 PM
:cool: Yeah, i know 35" is a little short, but is far better then the standard 32" or 30".

tuneman
06-18-2009, 05:04 AM
i would consider switching to one if it improves my shots, :) any suggestions on the best type?

so does the shorter length just make it hard on the fingers?

Montalaar
06-18-2009, 06:01 AM
The short ata bows produce a very small angle at the point where you pull it. If you shoot with at least two fingers you might lose the control of your fingers, local anemia in your finger tips and so on.

alex
06-18-2009, 11:20 AM
I have a release made by the North American Archery Group, by i can't say it is
"the best type".

tuneman
06-18-2009, 08:08 PM
the reason i ask is that i just had a browse on the site of one shop and they had 79 different types availible!! varying from expensive to really expensive :)

alex
06-19-2009, 04:44 AM
:D I didn't have such a problem - in our shop there was only one ... and expensive (for my standards) about 60 USD, 47 euros or 94 bulgarian leva. :)
You can ask about a good release in ArcheryTalk if nobody here gives you an advice.

bfisher
06-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Choosing a good release can be a very confusing task. As you have seen, the prices go from a few dollars to a whole bunch of dollars. There are about as many releases as there are bows, arrows, sights and other gadgets. To see what works best for you you really should go to some place where you can shoot a few and make a choice based on shooting experience.

I wouldn't buy the cheapest as these usually won't last as long or have any adjustments that you may deem necessary after you become familiar with it. Pick something that is adjustable for trigger travel, tension, and overall length.

Whether you shoot off the string or use a string loop can be a determining factor. Many can be shot either way so consider this when shopping.

One that used to sell a lot of is the True Ball Stinger. It won't rape your pocket book and has most of the features I mentioned. Here in the USA it goes for about $35 or so. True Ball makes some decent releases.

Scott is a company that always pops up. They have several and these are quality equipment although they tend to be a little on the pricey side.

I don't like the ones marketed by Allen, or True Fire. They're made cheap. If you pick something about midrange in price and with care it should last you many years. I will tell you that if you intend on doing any amount of shooting then spend a few extra dollars. You buy one of those $20 releases and it's not going to take long before you wish you had gotten something better.