PDA

View Full Version : moab or firecat?

tuneman
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
i have been offered a 08 model firecat for the same price of a 09 moab :confused:

is it worthwhile considering? i was just set on the moab and someone throws this into the mix:D

alex
06-20-2009, 05:13 AM
If you are new to compound bow archery i'd say take the MOAB...but the Firecat gives you more speed with the same poundage and the 08 model does not have the CCS, which on my opinion is an advantage.You can add a STS to the Firecat and it'll be as good or better than the 09 model.

hotrod26
06-20-2009, 06:07 AM
If you are new to compound bow archery i'd say take the MOAB...but the Firecat gives you more speed with the same poundage and the 08 model does not have the CCS, which on my opinion is an advantage.You can add a STS to the Firecat and it'll be as good or better than the 09 model.

My 08 Firecat came with a STS from the factory. The Moad probably has a smoother draw cycle right out of the box, but with a little tuning you can get the Firecat's draw pretty smooth also. Your speed will be better with the Firecat.

bfisher
06-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Having one of each (08 FireCat and 09 Moab) my opinion would be to take the FireCat. The Cat should already have an STS (mine does) and I don't put too much stock in the CSS unit.

As mentioned the FireCat will be faster, and frankly I don't think it draws all that much harder than the Moab, considering it's 15 fps faster at the same draw weight. And the FireCat is definitely more quiet, probably due to NOT having the CSS.

One thing not often brought up is the difference in strings. The Moab has Factory Double Helix strings, which may or may not be all that great. The FireCat comes with Stone Mountain strings which are a much better choice, all things being equal. A good set of quality strings is an added worth of about $75 or more.

I have to explain something. I'm not a very strong individual either due some massive muscle loss the last couple years. I am getting some strength back, but still can only draw about 50#. Earlier this year when I got the Moab I set it up at the same draw length as the Cat and compared speed shooting the same arrow. My FireCat at 42# had the same speed as the Moab at 49#.

This in and of itself shows me that it's not necessary to have a smooth drawing bow and shoot a heavier draw weight when my muscles can feel that the harder cam can actually feel easier to achieve the same performance level. Afterall, poundage is read on a scale and only shows a number. Now, go ahead and set both bows to the same weight and the Moab would probably seem easier and especially at heavier draw weights, but why draw more weight than is needed in the first place?

eldermike
06-21-2009, 07:28 PM
I have both and I agree I would pick the firecat. I actually shoot the firecat a bit better for some reason.