PDA

View Full Version : Question about string on 09 Firecat.

dsparkstbbucs
06-22-2009, 08:18 AM
Hello all. I purchased a Martin Firecat Pro-X last Tuesday. I noticed on the string there are 2 plastic pieces. 1 below the upper portion of served string and 1 above the lower portion of served string. I have tried to find through the owners manual to my bow, the martin website and a product catalog what these are and cannot. Could somebody please inform me what these are and function of them? Thank you!
David Sparks

alex
06-22-2009, 08:39 AM
May be they are the remains of some labels? Get rid of them if they don't look important...But first post some pictures here, if you can. :)

Spiker
06-22-2009, 09:02 AM
Think your talking about the crimps with the black heat shrink over them.
Is it a 09 FireCat with the yellow/black strings?

dsparkstbbucs
06-22-2009, 09:04 AM
well. i don't have a camera that can upload a close up photo of it but I do have the Martin Catalog picture that might can help. Look just below the top cam and just above the bottom cam. There are 2 plastic pieces connected to the string right where the served and unserved strings are brought together.

dsparkstbbucs
06-22-2009, 09:05 AM
If they are crimps what do they do?

Spiker
06-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Bfisher or someone else with more knowledge than I can probably answer this for you but I've always assumed (yea - I know what that can do) they are added weight for a little more speed. Same as when you add nock sets onto the string in those positions. You may want to post the question on Archery Talk.

dsparkstbbucs
06-22-2009, 09:23 AM
ok I will. Thanks Spiker!

alex
06-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Now i know what you are talking about - definetly don't get rid of them :D Don't know what they do, but since they are put there there should be some reason :)

hotrod26
06-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Those are speed nocks that are put on at the factory. They are suppose to add a few FPS.

Jake-the-snake
06-22-2009, 01:47 PM
yes those are speed nocks, if you place them in the right spot, they can add as much as 5-7 fps, for me i got 5 more fps out of them, but it takes a while and a chronograph just to see how much they can add on.:)

dsparkstbbucs
06-22-2009, 07:41 PM
So it sounds like you have to play with them to get optimal use? Would it hurt then just to remove them if i'm not worried about shooting 335 fps?

Jake-the-snake
06-23-2009, 07:30 AM
No if your not worried about speed to much, you can just take them off, although they dont harm anything just to sit there, and it doesnt take to much time to play around with them, if you have an hour to do something and cant find something to do, just move them around on the string to find where they perform best, and crimp them.