PDA

View Full Version : 2312's or 2712's and change of cam?

flytier17
06-22-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm getting my spots setup ready this summer. I have a Scepter IV with Elite limbs and Fury cams.

I have 2312's, and am wondering if I should try 2712's. Right now I'm shooting low 290's regularily, with 23-25 X's. Should I stick with what I have, or will the 27's help my scores?

if I do use the 27's, I'll need more output from my bow to get the spine more forgiving. With a NOS system, at 63lbs, I can shoot 3 rounds before my scores suffer too much. I consider that comfortable. From what i can percieve, a NOS system will output more energy to an arrow at a given pound than a Fury. So if I do get 27's, I'll have them full length, with 300gr. points. However, these Fury's bottom at 58 on these limbs, and a 2712 I tried in a bareshaft test was still stiff. Throwing NOS A's on it would give about the same BH or less, more agressive energy release to the arrow, and would peak the limbs at 67lbs, meaning I could shoot my 63lbs.

My question is; would the extra 5lbs, 1/8" less BH (possibly), and the more agressive cam make enough of a difference to the arrow spine to justify the $100 cost of new cams if I can even find them?

Course all this is a mute point if I decide to keep shooting 2312's, so please give me input on that too!

Thanks,
Alec

flytier17
07-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Oh come on! Surely someone has an opinion on this! Lots of knowledgeable spots shooters here. Scepterman30X, Montelaar....... Barry, I know spots isn't your primary game, but surely you could offer an opinion... Don't be shy! Speak up!

scepterman30x
07-02-2009, 09:33 PM
Don't do it! The center is the center no matter what you shoot. It won't be mony well spent in my opinion. Want my advice...focus a little harder on the X and you will get a better return on your investment.:D

flytier17
07-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Thats where I was leaning too. My shooting can still improve a lot. Maybe when I can consistently shoot perfect scores, I'll try a 27 to see if it gives me an edge. For now, I need to get the 2312's setup. I've been holding off due to my undecision on what to shoot. Now however, they need work.

What fletches do you reccommend? I was thinking 4" helical feathers. What do guys use for indoor spots rounds?

Thanks for the input Scepterman30X, I appreciate it.

Alec

scepterman30x
07-04-2009, 12:52 PM
I would reccomend 4" feathers strait offset 2 degrees unless you are going to shoot a fall away rest.

flytier17
07-04-2009, 04:28 PM
I have a Spot-Hogg Platinum and a single prong. Is helical too much for 1 thin prong?

How much control will I be losing with offset vs. helical?

Alec

scepterman30x
07-04-2009, 08:28 PM
I would say you would still have plenty of control. I don't think you would have any problem using any rest but i believe the advantages of using helical w/ some rest contact doesn't outway strait offset with no rest contact.
On another note; from my experience an arrow does not even really start to spin untill it gets to about 15 to 17 yards (notice I said spin not stabilize) which is where having helical counts, so at 20 yrds. it is a moot point to have it...if you have a choice between them.