PDA

View Full Version : Martin Slayer info needed

Unregistered
07-02-2009, 08:09 PM
New owner here, I know little of the bow. 35-50# limbs target red DL 26-27". thats it.
Years they were made , source of modules for a shorter DL ? Specification source ? owners manual? any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Doug

bfisher
07-02-2009, 11:00 PM
Try Martin's home site and look at the various catalogs and spec sheets. The Slayer was fist made in 2004. Look from there forward. Match up a particular picture with what your bow looks like. Pay attention to the cams and riser. Match the catalogyear with the specs for that year and see what you find. Then if you still have questions we'll be glad to help all we can.

scepterman30x
07-03-2009, 08:32 AM
Try Martin's home site and look at the various catalogs and spec sheets. The Slayer was fist made in 2004. Look from there forward. Match up a particular picture with what your bow looks like. Pay attention to the cams and riser. Match the catalogyear with the specs for that year and see what you find. Then if you still have questions we'll be glad to help all we can.

I see a lot of references to the "Slayer" on here and AT. A lot of them are wrong (no offense) but to rectify this; the SlayR was made in 04 and 05 and the Slayer was made from 06 to 08. There really is not much of a difference besides a curve change here and there. The possition of the grip, limb pockets etc. are prettly much the same. The primary difference in these bows for comparison is the fact that the SlayR is heavier and has a 23 degree grip verses the 17 degree on the Slayer. The SlayR riser is built like a Brick S**t House; it is a very solid riser and can take all the punishment one can dish out not that the Slayer riser can't but like I said this is for comparison sake.

bfisher
07-03-2009, 10:07 AM
You're right about the slight name change. I would say that in my posts, but it might be a bit confusing for some people contemplating getting one. I was not aware of the change in grip angle, though.

Yeah, that 2004 I had was the fastest bow I ever owned, but the scary part was the accuracy I could get with it. Most of that due to the A2A and mass weight.

aquaholic
07-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I've left the world of the unregistered...Upon further inquiry , I've found it has Nitrous cams... Does this make it a 2006? The pic of it on the Martin web sight looks very close. Unless it was modified with updated cams. Bought this for my wife. Martin is a whole new world for me. I shoot another brand, this year and last.

aquaholic
07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
Bow has arrived... It IS a Slayr SE (2005) not a slayer as advertised. Heavy duty riser as stated, 6.14 #'s before sight and stabs. It has Nitrous B cams and B HL mods. Is this capable of 26" DL @ 35 # Draw weight. w/o any alterations.(i.e. parts) Wifey needs it that low to start.
Thanks,
Doug

davydtune
07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Bow has arrived... It IS a Slayr SE (2005) not a slayer as advertised. Heavy duty riser as stated, 6.14 #'s before sight and stabs. It has Nitrous B cams and B HL mods. Is this capable of 26" DL @ 35 # Draw weight. w/o any alterations.(i.e. parts) Wifey needs it that low to start.
Thanks,
Doug

You didn't happen to pick it up off of Ebay? If so I was watching the same bow.:D If so it's a nice one.

bfisher
07-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks,
Doug

What does the bottom limb sticker say for draw weight? Also look on the side of the limb butt for the deflection number. A 50# peak calls for a limb marked 0H. If it is then this can safely be backed off to 35# or a touch more if need be.

The B Nitrous cam should be able to be set to a 26" draw in the number 2 position. This will depend a bit on how the string/cable are twisted up, but this is where to start.

Need more info> Try www.martinarchery.com/chart/2005chart/nitrous.php Look for M96 (Slayer)at the bottom.

aquaholic
07-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Just wondering if the limbs should be pulling completely above the limb pockets with the limb bolts turned out 4 turns each. I need five to get to 35 # . Got nervous seeing so much above the pocket.

aquaholic
07-16-2009, 11:54 AM
The limbs are OH 50 # as you said. The draw weight is @ 41 # with 4 turns out. My wife still couldn't draw it cleanly. Time to hit he weights ? There will be a bow for sale before that happens.

wisecane
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
one more turn out should yield 38# give or take. is she close to being able to draw it? Also you would be surprised at how quickly "bow muscles" are developed if one has not shot in awhile.

aquaholic
07-17-2009, 01:49 PM
I think 35 would be the max... she's NEVER shot a bow .
Trying to drag her into my manic world of dot abuse.
Not easy to change spots when you're a 56 yr old grandma. I give her credit for trying.

Anybody want to comfort me about the amount of limb butt exposed outside the limb pocket@ 4 turns out ?

bfisher
07-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I think 35 would be the max... she's NEVER shot a bow .
Trying to drag her into my manic world of dot abuse.
Not easy to change spots when you're a 56 yr old grandma. I give her credit for trying.

Anybody want to comfort me about the amount of limb butt exposed outside the limb pocket@ 4 turns out ?

OK, you can try this for the short term. Back the bolts out 5 turns. More if needed. MArtin bows have extra long limb bolts. The bow has a 15# range so 35# is quite doable. You can watch the limb bolts from the side of the barrel nut in the riser. You can back those suckers out quite a bit if necessary, looking for daylight. You won't have to go tht far.

Don't worry about the limb pockets. The limbs sit on two half-round stainless rockers and do not rely on the limb pockets for alignment. It takes about 11-12 turns off before the limb bolts come unthreaded.

I'll try to explain using a personal experience. Couple years ago I had some massive muscle loss in the left back and shoulder due to a hernaited disc in the neck. At the time I was shooting a Pantera with 55# limbs. Fast forward six months-------- I was able to turn the Pantera down and shoot it at 27# with no ill affects to the bow. Just proves what can be done for a short period. OK?

Barry

aquaholic
07-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the support Barry. I got it @ 35#, DL is good @ #2 and I just put a sureloc on it. Momma's big day starts in an hour.:eek: