PDA

View Full Version : cheetah string

buckslayr
07-07-2009, 11:44 AM
I noticed today my serving is splitting where it comes off the idler wheel, I put a ccs on about 100 shots ago and it is quite an angle to it from the idler,the bow is an 09 Cheetah, will a good quality custom string remedy this, thanks

bfisher
07-07-2009, 08:57 PM
NO, new string isn't going to solve anything at this point. Are you saying that the serving is fraying? Rubbing through? This is a wheel alignment problem. You need to fix this. Then new strings if you want, but I would just replace the worn serving if the string itself is OK.

buckslayr
07-07-2009, 09:02 PM
It IS a wheel alignment problem but how do you solve it?I straightened my idler, no lean at all now,I can't bring the ccs in further, I thought a quality string with good serving that wouldn't seperate might be the ticket.The serving is seperating.I think the idler wheel might be cutting it because of the angle the string comes off it.

alex
07-08-2009, 06:53 AM
Doesn't look good :( From the first picture looks almost like a bent axle.If you can, go to your dealer or a pro shop.You can play twisting the cable also, but i don't think it'll help ..... Thanks God, my 08 MOAB doesn't have a CCS!

bfisher
07-08-2009, 06:47 PM
Looks like the idler is aligned fairly well as you have it. I'm not sure what I'm seeing with the close-up of the serving. Is there a gap in there or is the serving actually broken? I can't tell.

Something you might do is rub your finger along the inner edge of the idler. See if there is any roughness to it.. If there is then this could be abrading the serving. If so there are two remedies. Call and get a new idler or sand it with some 400 grain sandpaper. I've used the sandpaper idea a few times in my career. Take a piece and wrap it around a round pencil. Then lightly sand the inner part of the groove all the way around till it suits you. then try it out with new serving on your present string.

What would NOT do is waste money on good custom strings till you ge things ironed out.

Looking further, is it possible the serving is just separating? You can see it better than I. If so then maybe it as a poor serving job at the factory and the serving is sliding on the string causing the gaps (serving separation). In this case just get it reserved.

buckslayr
07-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Looks like the idler is aligned fairly well as you have it. I'm not sure what I'm seeing with the close-up of the serving. Is there a gap in there or is the serving actually broken? I can't tell.

Something you might do is rub your finger along the inner edge of the idler. See if there is any roughness to it.. If there is then this could be abrading the serving. If so there are two remedies. Call and get a new idler or sand it with some 400 grain sandpaper. I've used the sandpaper idea a few times in my career. Take a piece and wrap it around a round pencil. Then lightly sand the inner part of the groove all the way around till it suits you. then try it out with new serving on your present string.

What would NOT do is waste money on good custom strings till you ge things ironed out.

Looking further, is it possible the serving is just separating? You can see it better than I. If so then maybe it as a poor serving job at the factory and the serving is sliding on the string causing the gaps (serving separation). In this case just get it reserved.

I checked the idler groove and it was inddeed rough,the whole serving is abrased.I took out a couple inches of the broken and thin serving and put new in that spot, sanded the idler groove with 400 and will check it again, I think it will work, thanks for the input/Dan