PDA

View Full Version : Speed loss after string replacement

330capone
07-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Just put a new string on my 09' firecat everything seems to match up to the old spects,but when I shoot it there is a very noticable loss of speed and alot more noise and vibration than before. Do I need to twist the string and cables more or did I completly screw something up? Thanks for any help.:confused:

flytier17
07-07-2009, 06:32 PM
First of all check the specs. A2A, BH, etc... If the strings have been broken in, they will have stretched to some degree dependiong on the quality. What strings did you get? A poorer string will have a lot more creep to it.

When you mentioned hand vibes and noise, it suggests a cam rotation issue. Most likely being the cable is too long. Do you have a picture? How does the DL and letoff feel? Normal?

Alec

330capone
07-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I put a vapor trail string on. As for the DL is right on but the DW does seem a little less but the limb bolts are in thier origional position. What is the best way to check the cam rotation?

flytier17
07-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm not personally familiar with CAT cams as I don't own any. Post a photo, and maybe we can tell from that.

Vapor Trail is an OK string. Not a great string, certainly nothing exceptional, but decent. I've seen 2 VT sets with excessive creep though. Whats the A2A and BH? That'll be the biggest determining factor here.

The other factor may be string materiel. BCY 452X is standard for Binary cammed bows. However, if your new srings are 452X and your old ones are 8125 or similar, the 452 might be slawer unless it was light stranded. I don't the difference in speed would be noticible without a chrony though. 1-2 fps maybe.

Alec

330capone
07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
Sorry my camera dosent want to work either,but the a2a is 32-3/4 and the BH is 7". I think I may need to add some twists to the cables to get the A2A right and that should fix the light draw weight to which should bring the speed back up. Does this sound right? Also if I twist the cables say 10 turns should I also twist the string to?

bfisher
07-08-2009, 07:35 PM
If I use my FireCat as a model then the A2A should be closer to 32 1/2". Mine is 32 3/8", but with twists added to the string to tweak the draw length.

Twisting the cables should give you a desired effect, but I don't know that I'd add 10 twists. Maybe 5 and check it. Don't you have a bow scale to check the draw weight?

As for the cam timing issue. Refer to:

www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601