PDA

View Full Version : 2009 cheetah idler wheel serving

Hanksv
07-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Do I need to serve the string over the idler wheel on my 2009 Cheetah. I'm getting mixed responses to this question. I hear that the 2008's needed it, but that they changed the wheel for 2009 so that it is unneeded. Is there anyone shooting their 2009 cheetah without the serving? How is the string holding up?

Dave308
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
It wouldn't hurt to serve it. Rather be safe then sorry.

Hoosieroutdoorsman
07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I have shot several bows with ball bearing idlers without the idler serving with zero problems. The biggest keys are to make sure your idler has zero lean and that it spins freely. I had to file the contact edge of my spacers down so that my idler will spin freely, if the idler doesn`t spin freely your string will untwist on the outser string and twist up tighter on the inner side of the idler.

Hanksv
07-15-2009, 05:33 PM
It wouldn't hurt to serve it. Rather be safe then sorry.

Does it steal any speed? I have heard that serving that section of string will cost 5-7 fps. My bow is slow. They guys at bass pro served it, now I'm wondering if I can remove the serving and pick up some speed.

Hoosieroutdoorsman
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Does it steal any speed? I have heard that serving that section of string will cost 5-7 fps. My bow is slow. They guys at bass pro served it, now I'm wondering if I can remove the serving and pick up some speed.

Yes you can actually gain between 7-10 fps by removing the serving. Play with the draw stop also,,you can pick up some extra fps by how you set that as well.

Hanksv
07-15-2009, 05:45 PM
What's the trick on setting the draw stop?

Hoosieroutdoorsman
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I set mine up a little forward of normal, it basically will lower your let off a little and keep your release point deeper in the power stroke, I set mine to where at full draw I can feel it barely wanting to pull my hand forward, after it was all tuned and set up I gained over 2 inches of penetration on my target, that was shooting into an unshot section. Once I get everything on my bow,draw and rest set I fire a few shots to see how it does,, then I do my fine tuning and shoot a fresh area on the target and see what I gained.

Hanksv
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the info. I just checked my wheel lean and it is leaning pretty hard to the left. I think I'll try to straighten that out and ditch the serving on over the wheel. When my sts gets here I'm going to get rid of the string jax and give it a try with only an sts and limbsavers. I figure that I should try to keep the string as naked as possible.

Hoosieroutdoorsman
07-18-2009, 05:08 AM
Thats all I have on mine is the STS and limb savers, I bought a offset cable guide rod and a rubber stopper off ebay and made my own STS, saved about $15 doing it myself. The bow is as quiet as you can ask for, the only gripe I have is the straight cable guide, I am going to call CS and see if they will send me an offset rod to take some of the tension off the cable and string.