PDA

View Full Version : Stripped allen screw

Jake-the-snake
07-16-2009, 08:57 AM
Quick question, i was just recently changing the draw length on my 08 firecat, and i think i stripped the screw, where you have to put the allen wrench into the screw to twist it out, my question is how do i get that screw out? any info. to the problem would be greatly appreciated:)

alex
07-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Too bad...First of all put some oil and leave it for an hour or two in order to unscrew(if this is the correct word :o ) it easier. Then use a flat screwdriver -if needed tighten it with a second smaller one.If this doesn't work you must use a drill and the job will be pretty nasty- you must drill carefully,then try to stuck the drill and on reverse try to unscrew the bolt. :(
P.S. In the matter of fact i think first you must use carefully the allen wrench - i don't expect the bolt to be so badly damaged.

madlaz
07-17-2009, 05:10 AM
drill small hole in set screw and use small easy out done it many times Laz

Jake-the-snake
07-17-2009, 06:40 AM
i really dont like the idea of using a drill on such a small piece of the bow, but if anyone has any other ideas id love to hear them, the info would be much appreciated...:)

Hanksv
07-17-2009, 07:34 AM
With small allen bolts, I would expect the allen wrench to strip before the bolt head. I have had this problem when using cheap allen wrenches. If you did in fact strip out the bolt head, an easy out is probably the way to go. i have hear of guys trying to JB weld allen wrenches into stripped bolt heads with mixed success.

SandSquid
07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
With restoring antique VW Bugs I have gotten pretty adept at removing screws and bolts with stripped heads.
While it is a bit scary the first time it has proven to be 100% effective and has never ruined anything but the screw or bolt I have been trying to get out.

First you need the absolute right size drill bit. It needs to be slightly smaller than the hole the bolt/screw passes through and slightly larger or the same diameter of the shaft of the screw/bolt.
Simply set the bit inside the Allen socket, and drill away. When you get through the head (the base of the flare in this cae) and to the shaft the head simply falls away. You can now remove the module from the cam and grab the remainder of the shaft left in the cam w/ some needle nose and back it out...

If you donít care about the module, you can use a slightly more aggressive method I outlined here:
http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=4057

The result is the same the flared head falls away from the shaft.

Robert58
07-17-2009, 08:34 AM
I had the same thing happen to me on my Nitrous A cam Mod screw. I went to loosen it and it just popped. I thought the allen wrench broke but the socket in the screw just shattered. I got it out with a Left Hand drill bit.

Robert

Jake-the-snake
07-17-2009, 01:03 PM
another question, what is this "easy out" stuff, and where could i buy some? thanks everyone for your help...also about a week ago i posted a thread about Martin's customer service, well i had to get new limbs and my dealer called up to Martin, and they sent replacement limbs right away, well on tuesday i got the new limbs for free and they work great, thank you Martin, for everything:)

Hanksv
07-17-2009, 01:23 PM
An easy-out is a tool. The concept is the same as the left hand drill bit. The tool is trying to dig into the bolt while the tool is twisting counter clockwise. As the tool is digging in, the bolt is twisting out. Here's an example: http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=10474&group_ID=1261&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Jake-the-snake
07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
now am i going to have to get a new set screw for that module? if i use this tool?

Elk4me
07-17-2009, 04:08 PM
If you have a dremel tool with a sm cutting wheel make a slot ever so carefully in the head of the allen screw ....... then take a flat head screwdriver and remove the screw. I had to do this 2 times sucessfully on a Nitrious cam bow a few yrs ago. Then take the bad screw to HomeDepot or Lowes or any hardware store and get a new one the same sz and legnth!

bfisher
07-17-2009, 04:45 PM
now am i going to have to get a new set screw for that module? if i use this tool?

You have to get a new module screw no matter what. Check the yellow pages for a company called Fastenal. They have everything. Just take a screw with you. I just got some a month ago or so. Oh, on second thought does anybody use the yellow pages any more?

Oh yeah, the way SandSquid says to drill it will work. Just have to go slow and just drill the head off. It does a neater job than an acetylene torch---LOL.

madlaz
07-19-2009, 02:57 PM
most hardware stores have them take good one with and match it

davydtune
07-21-2009, 08:56 AM
If you have a dremel tool with a sm cutting wheel make a slot ever so carefully in the head of the allen screw ....... then take a flat head screwdriver and remove the screw. I had to do this 2 times sucessfully on a Nitrious cam bow a few yrs ago. Then take the bad screw to HomeDepot or Lowes or any hardware store and get a new one the same sz and legnth!

I have done the same on a Slayer.

Spiker
07-21-2009, 09:43 AM
You can also try a Torx bit. Select one that is a hair bigger than the allen and carefully tap it into the screw then back it out. The 'star' pattern of a Torx will usually grab an internal hex and a set of Torx bits are alot cheaper
than extractors and safer than drilling.

07-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Something I have done on small allen screws that rounded out slightly, making so the wrench had no grab, is to take the allen wrench and set it on an anvil or other hard steel surface. lay it down so the flat of the wrench is lying flat on the anvil. Then hit the allen wrench with a hammer. This will slightly elongate one side of the wrench, from being smashed, allowing it to grab beyond where the screw was rounded off.

Regardless of how you get it out, the screw needs to be replaced.

Sometimes I make up for my lack of finesse with brute force, this is one of the times it has actually worked out for me :D

Good Luck!

Jake-the-snake
07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
lol well now i know how to get the screw out, thanks everyone for helping me solve my problem, your help was greatly appreciated and i thank everyone for it, :)