PDA

View Full Version : Limb Identification H5?

Bohunter
04-09-2006, 12:10 PM
I recently purchased my first Martin, a 2005 Cougar III and I noticed each limb is marked H5. Can anyone tell me what this indicates?
Thanks,
Bohunter

Mr Mnemonic
04-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Is it H5 or 5H? not that its important.
The marking indicates the style and weight of the limb. The number refer's to relative stiffness of the limb and the letter refers to the style. eg H6 would have heavier draw weight than H5.
There is no direct correlation between the number "5" and the poundage. As this will change from one cam to another, ie a h5 may be a fifty lb limb with a Uni-cam, but because of different mechanical advantage, it may be higher or lower with a Nitrous or Tru-arc.
I am not sure what each letter code specifically means, but I assume it refers to length (14'',16", elite) and or the colour of the limb. It may refer to Heavy medium or light, but I'd need a tech to confirm it.

Lifer
04-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Another good response, Mr. Mnemonic. The letter, though, actually refers to a sub-size classification. While the difference between an L, M or H is small in measured draw weight, they help to evenly match each pair of limbs. While a pair of #5 limbs, for instance, will achieve X amount of pounds, regardless of letter classification, a set of 5M's will assure both limbs provide evenly matched stifffnes and proper tiller.

Just one more step to assure better quality.