PDA

View Full Version : hunting bow?

martinleopardbuck hunter4
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM
is the martin leopard bow a good hunting bow?

Jake-the-snake
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM
depends, whats your draw length?

07-17-2009, 02:50 PM
about 24 inches

Elk4me
07-17-2009, 04:09 PM
go for it it will be a great bow to hunt with!:D

07-17-2009, 06:00 PM
what poundage would be good for hunting white-tail? my limbs are 35-50 pounds

flytier17
07-17-2009, 06:40 PM
As much as you can comfortably hold and shoot. bear in mind tha hunting is not like range shooting. In the cold, muscles can cramp, and stiffen. Inactivity for several hours allows the muscles to relax. Sometimes you have to hold at full draw for extended time periods till a shot opportunity presents itself. Awkward positions, and unusual stances and shooting positions all add to the diffuculty of a comfortable draw weight.

If you can draw the bow sitting on the ground with your legs flat in front of you, you should be able to hunt comfortably.

Don't forget the highest letoff possible for your bow (80% modules, not 65%) helps too. often, its not getting the string back, but keeping it there till you have a shot opportunity.

With a low draw weight, be careful to use proper spine selection for your arrows. Otherwise, you may expereince diffuculty with them. A properly spined arrow will shoot and group better, and give better results. Use a spine chart that accounts for point weight, length, and fletchings, as well as DL, DW, BH, and draw cycle.

With a low draw weight and draw length that you will be shooting, your KE will be minimal for pursuing deer. Bear this in mind, as an ethical shot is paramount. Don't be discouraged, but be patient. A close relaxed shot on a calm exposed deer will leave much less room for regrets of wounding deer.

Alec

07-17-2009, 06:48 PM
i was thinking about 26 in length and 40 or 45 pounds for white-tail. is that okay and if so what would my leathal range be?

Desmond
07-17-2009, 09:06 PM
In my opinion your lethal range will be within 20 yards.

flytier17
07-18-2009, 05:56 AM
i was thinking about 26 in length and 40 or 45 pounds for white-tail. is that okay and if so what would my leathal range be?

HMMM, that depends. Lethal range is dictated by kinetic energy. You need the weight of the arrow and the speed it travels to determine KE.

However, I'd venture to guess no farther than 30yds. Maybe 20. See what your groups are like at those ranges, and also how far apart your pins have to be set.

Choose a fixed blade broadhead. a mechanical takes KE to open and deploy the blades; KE that would otherwise be employed in penetraton. You need all the penetration you can get with those specs, so I would say use a fixed blade head.

A small diameter arrow will be the best. Less surface area means less to get affected by the wind, and also less tissue suction, which will also give more penetration. Choose a heavy shaft. A heavy shaft takes more resistance to stop it. It'l bust through more in a deer than a light arrow will. My #1 shaft I'd reccomend for your setup is the Easton Axis FMJ in a 500 spine. Its heavy and thin. the 500 spine will be the weakest possible for you, so it should work.

Hope this helps,
Alec

Elk4me
07-18-2009, 08:09 AM
You may also want to check your local hunting reg's for a min DW for hunting . I know here in Montana it is 40#:rolleyes:

07-18-2009, 05:09 PM
In PA it is a reg to have a bow with a least DW of 35 pounds for white-tail.

thanks