PDA

View Full Version : 08 firecat and cable issues

chola
07-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I have an 08 Firecat. Decided to order a new string and cables for it. I loosened the limb bolts and swapped the cables and string. Without even firing the bow, I noticed the serving being "cut" or torn up...Is there a problem with these cams/modules or??????
I was told there are sharp egdes on the cam modules that cause this ?
My factory cables and string servings were not like this at all.

Here are some pics,keep in mind this is just after being put on. I had never even drawed the bow at all,just rolled the string and cables...any thoughts and info would be fantastic.
I hadn't even applied any tension,just enought to hold everything together
As you can see the serving is fraying a bit all over....:confused:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/bagsola/IMG_0010.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/bagsola/IMG_0009.jpg

alex
07-21-2009, 05:53 AM
I don't know the exact meaning of the verb "swap", but if you haven't loosen enough the limbs and have used force to put the new string, this explains the torn servings. You must re-serve the string and put it again carefuly.

chola
07-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I don't know the exact meaning of the verb "swap", but if you haven't loosen enough the limbs and have used force to put the new string, this explains the torn servings. You must re-serve the string and put it again carefuly.

The limbs were loosened right off and required no force putting the cables on,once I had them I slowly adjusted each limb bolt...I'll get them reserved and then try again. The dealer who I bought them from said that the cam modules have sharp edges and often cause this.

Desmond
07-21-2009, 07:05 AM
The limbs were loosened right off and required no force putting the cables on,once I had them I slowly adjusted each limb bolt...I'll get them reserved and then try again. The dealer who I bought them from said that the cam modules have sharp edges and often cause this.

It could be a workmanship problem. I doubt that the cams did it 'cause they are made of hard plastic (as far as I know), but who knows,.. would be a first. Hope you get it fixed up! :)

alex
07-21-2009, 07:52 AM

May be this is really the reason...but such bad damage without shooting is quite strange. When you get your repaired string inspect it carefully.Good luck!

bfisher
07-21-2009, 08:35 AM
I've got some observations to address first. Take a look at the two pics and see that the cable is closer to the #2 post in the first picture. The cams are not timed right. First pic shows the string too close to the post.

Second, contrary to what Desmond said the cam and module are not plastic, Plastic modules are standard on the MPr/M2Pro cams, but not the Cat cams. This is of no consequence, though, because you said the bow hadn't even been drawn yet.

Now my next comments are based on the fact that the bow hadn't been shot, as you stated. Also you said you didn't have any problems with the original rigging.

Looking at the first pic (top cam) I would say that the serving was cut or broken by something but not the cam. Looking even closer it appears that because the cable isn't stretched tight around the second post the rigging doesn't even have tension on it yet. Maybe the serving was already damaged or you did something wrong to damage it. Either way, the serving is cut and unraveled a couple wraps by what I'm seeing.

The second pic (bottom cam) shows fraying to the serving in places it doesn't even contact any part of the cam. This leaves a big question mark in my mind.

As you said, the bow hasn't even been drawn yet so how could the cams cause this type of damage?

My suggestion would be to have the ends reserved and try again. You may have just gotten a bad set of strings or you caused the damage during installation. I'm not trying to bust your balls on this. Just making an observation. I have a FireCat so have been looking mine over very carefully for comparison.

chola
07-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the info fellas.....

1..the bow was never drawn after the cable and strings were installed.

2.. I had a new string put on when I first got the bow..I am new into this archery thing and had a local bowtech set up the draw length for me,I never even noticed that the cams were out of time..makes me really wonder about the bowtech,who should have known or spotted this:eek:

3..The string maker is a fantastic guy, he offered to re-serve them for me. He said he had issues on his warthog that were much the same,sharp edges on cam modules.

I appreciate all the advice and the help. Don't worry about bustin' my balls at all,I am trying to learn as much as I can. I only wanted to get more opinions and thoughts on what may have caused or be causing this.
I ain't bashing anyone or any products, was just more than curious was all.

The only reason I replaced the string and cables was to have a matched set. My previous string was green and black with yellow and black cables,did not look good...I am fussy that way:rolleyes: