PDA

View Full Version : STS tight fit

Hanksv
07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Anybody else have problems installing an STS? I have a 2009 Cheetah and I tried to install a martin STS on it last night. It will barely get started in the hole. I wiggled it in a little way, but then it bound up. I had to grab it with a pliers to get it back out of the bow - scratched it up pretty good in the process. I would have expect that with a Martin bow and a Martin STS, it would slide right in. Yes, I removed the set screw.

bfisher
07-21-2009, 08:43 AM
Mine is pretty tight, too. There might be a burr on the end of the STS rod from cutting it. You might take a small file and some fine-grit sandpaper chamfer the end of the rod and try to slide it in again. There might also be a burr where the setscrew hole penetrates to the inside of the riser hole.

The only thing I can think of is a small wooden dowel with sandpaper wrapped around it and try to remove some of the roughness from the STS hole.

Barring that, maybe just sand about 3/4" around the end of the rod itself.

davydtune
07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Yep mine was tight as well on my 08 Bengal. All I did was took a small pen knife and scraped the film dip off that was inside the hole. Then she slid right in.

bfisher
07-21-2009, 08:53 AM
Yep mine was tight as well on my 08 Bengal. All I did was took a small pen knife and scraped the film dip off that was inside the hole. Then she slid right in.

Good point Davydtune. A coat of paint isn't very thick, but it doesn't take but a couple thousandths of an inch to make things a mess. I think in most cases the factory runs taps and such through all the holes to clean them up during assembly, but they might have missed this one.

07-21-2009, 08:52 PM
I made my own STS I measured the hole in the bow to be .375 with a telescoping gauge about a half inch inside the hole. I turned the aluminum shaft down to .374 but it would not fit.

The problem was the paint that was in the hole closer to the surface. I put a 23/64 drill bit in the hole and spun it by hand. By adding just a little side pressure as I turned the bit by hand, it cut the paint right out of the hole and the STS slid in.