PDA

View Full Version : 09 firecat serving wear

jduckman99
07-30-2009, 08:45 PM
Hi all. I'm a first time owner of a Martin Firecat upgraded from a 1980 PSE Nova. I've had the bow for 3 weeks now and have had problems that I've stated below. Anyone have the same problem with their '09 Firecat? or have any input? :confused: The following is the conversation that I had with a local Martin dealer:

Servings do come undone but not that quickly. I would be glad to look at the bow for you but I think we should forward your email onto Martin. When the dealer you bought it from dry fired the bow it could have caused some damage to the wheel. I think it would be appropriate to get an RA number from Martin and send the bow back to them for inspection.
I would be happy to package the bow and send it back to them.
You would have freight charges and a very small inspection fee from me.

Thank you.

Pat (bowpro)

Pat Norris Archery

I recently purchased a Martin Firecat. I have had it for about 3 weeks or so. Maybe shot 300 to 400 times. In the first week that I had it, the serving on the bottom cam some how wore out and started to unwind. So I had it reserved and checked out at Wilderness Archery in Rocklin. Now there is another spot on one of the cables that goes around the bottom cam that the serving is cut and coming unwound. Help! It gets expensive getting strings and cables reserved every two weeks. I live in Live Oak, California. So its no big deal if you want to see the bow. I can bring it up to you if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

Just as an FYI, the dealer that I bout the bow from dry fired it when he was setting it up. I really don't want to take it back there because it's a 4 hour drive from Live Oak to Susanville. I also don't think he knows what he is doing. Any information you can give me as to why the serving on my bow keeps unwinding would be great. You can contact me by email at jduckman99@aol.com or by cell at 530-870-7149. Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

Montalaar
07-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Before sending the bow out you could remove the string (if you know how to do that) and look for spots in the cam that have sharp edges.

SandSquid
07-31-2009, 07:41 AM
I think we are missing the bigger issue here:

the dealer that I bout the bow from dry fired it when he was setting it up.

I'm sorry to say this but I would NEVER ever accept a "new" bow that was dry-fired. Your delaer really screwed to pooch, and then bent you over the rail on this one. I would have demanded a 100% refund it I had already paid or just walked out if I had not paid yet.

Please share with us who this "Dealer" was so we can all avoid them like the plague.

eldermike
07-31-2009, 07:59 AM
I think alot of us know how to solve this problem on the firecat. However, since you know it's been dry fired, why not call Martin, get an RA and send it back to them. When you get it back watch the serving wear, if it's wearing at the cams do a search for that issue on this forum and you will find the solutions. But first, send it back.

recondoc
07-31-2009, 12:07 PM
Did it look like this?
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/recondocb/DSCN0143.jpg

This is my 2 week old Alien X (It has not been dry fired)

bfisher
07-31-2009, 12:12 PM
I agree that the dealer should have replaced the bow with a new one if he dry fired it. However, I've been reading a lot of threads on AT referring just to the problem you are having with the serving wear. I'm not sure but I think that Martin is aware of the situation and have made some minor changes to the module.

My advice would be to call Joel at customer service and see what he advises. If it were my bow I'd call, get an RA number and send the bow back to Martin for a full inspection and repair as necessary.

It's fortunate that I haven't had this problem with my "08 Cat or I'd have more first hand knowledge of the situation. The only thing I've seen is a little bit of fraying right where the string comes off the cam, but with maybe 8000 shots and 1 1/2 years on these strings I consider mine fairly acceptable.

jduckman99
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
I left Martin an email last week. I'll give them a call and see what they say. Thanks for everyone's response.

recondoc
08-03-2009, 07:35 PM
I talked with Josh at Martin Tech Assistance today about this issue.
He told me: "It will unwind. There is nothing that can be done about it. It will not affect wear or shootability."
Not sure if I will go along with that but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. I think they designed the turn for the cam connection too tight for the motion but it was the only way to get the performance out of the cams. I'm not sure I really like it and will be watching my cables for signs of wear very closely.
Doc