PDA

View Full Version : Down Cable wedging in between CCS Rollers

recondoc
07-31-2009, 12:21 PM
Howdy folks,
I picked up my new Alien X 45-60 two weeks ago and have been mighty pleased with it.
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/recondocb/DSCN0125.jpg
I started shooting it with a QAD Pro Hunter rest. A few days ago, my arrows (2 in a row) suddenly went about 2 feet high and 20 yards. When I checked out my bow, I found the down cable wedged in between the CCS rollers.
I popped it back out, swapped rests to a Muzzy X-Celerator and went back to shooting. Today it did it again! With a full pass through on my back fence to boot.
Here's what it looked like:
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/recondocb/DSCN0138.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x137/recondocb/DSCN0137.jpg

I was originally going to get the new MOAB in black but my Wife convinced me to spend the extra money and go all the way for the best bow Martin/Rytera makes. (Yes, I do love her a lot. :) ) Now I'm wondering if I made the right choice.
I've been shooting and hunting with Martin bows for several years now and have never had one do anything other than perform flawlessly. Vision Longbow, Dreamcatcher, Jaguar and Cheetah have never failed me. Now I'm really nervous.
Any ideas on a fix? No Techs available at Martin until Monday so the weekend 3D match seems to be canceled for me. I'm really worried about shooting this bow until I have more information.

Specs:
Alien X 45-60 set to #53 Drawing 29"+ 3/4" loop.
29" Beman Blackmax 400s
FOBs
100gr Field tips
Doc

bfisher
07-31-2009, 12:53 PM
Real quick. Looks like there's too much play between the rollers. Break the bow down and remove the string and cable from the roller assembly. See how much slop there is between the rollers and the bracket. There should little to no play. If there is you can use nylon spacer(s) between the bracket and the rollers.

Is this plain enough?

Might also want to reserve the area that is worn on the cable. See how this works and let us know.

recondoc
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
Thanks Bfisher,
I'll give that a go this evening and see if I can salvage my weekend.
I was really getting worried but maybe is a simple tolerance issue that can be shimmed up?
My only real aggravation with it is the fact that this is a Brand New, and not exactly cheap, bow. I really expect something touted as the high end of the high end to perform flawlessly. Especially when it's two weeks, and less than 1000 arrows, old.
This definitely shakes my confidence.
Doc

alex
08-01-2009, 03:11 AM
You're right Doc! When i joined this forum almost a year ago 90% of the threads were of happy Martin owners ;) and since 09 models came everyday we have a list of complains. I have a 08 MOAB and i wouldn't trade it for none 09 bow. Good luck with your bow!

recondoc
08-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Yep Alex,
I had stripped my 07 Cheetah down to sell. After everything that happened in the last two days, I put a bunch of leftover stuff from my "hell" box on it last night and just shot it in the my back yard this morning.
Old arrows + a two year old QAD rest + old Cobra Boomslang sight = 1" groups that eat fletching at 20 yards.
I'm now seriously considering selling off my two week old Alien X to get more arrows and just shoot my old bow.
This 07 Cheetah is still on it's first set of strings and cables, I average about 100-300 arrows a day when I'm home. (I work in Africa and only get to shoot every other month.)
Sometimes Newer might not be better.
I know my confidence level is much higher with my old bow.
Doc

alex
08-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Well, Doc, it's your decision, but i wouldn't sell a brand new bow without giving it a chance. ;) But since you work in Angola (as a doctor, as far as i understand the american nicknames -very noble of you!) and you can't invest time and efforts in repairs may be you're right. The good thing is that you have another good bow to shoot till you decide what to do with the Alien X.Again -Good luck and best wishes! :)

recondoc
08-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks Alex,
Actually not a Doctor. It's a nickname that I acquired when I worked as a Corpsman with the US Marines. It just kind of hung around after that time in my life.

As for the bow, It's not that I'm not willing to do repair work. I build custom pistols and knives as a hobby business. It's a matter of principle. When a customer of mine orders my high end work, they will pay for it. In exchange, I give them my absolute best work possible. I would be embarrassed if one of my customers had to do ANY work on one of my $400 Chef's Knives to get it to work after I just built it for them.
When I pay for the supposed "Top of the Line", I shouldn't be having to shim, look for sharp edges, etc... If I'm spending my hard earned money, in a market filled with good products from a lot of manufacturers, I expect a bow that will set up easy, hold it's settings, and not break within two weeks.
Another part of what is upsetting to me is that the arrow that went high yesterday, punched through my fence and went into my neighbors yard. (Not too gently either). It gave me that very sick feeling in my stomach. They have grandchildren who, thank God, were not outside. I think about the number of times I've shot on my backyard range without ever considering something going so far wrong that I would overshoot my backstop. To think about the possibility of hurting a kid (I have two of my own little ones) just kills me. Needless to say, my backyard range is getting a serious backstop redesign and overhaul.
I've been a vocal advocate for Martin bows for quite a while. When all of my buddies were shooting Mathews, Bowtech and Diamond, I was shooting Martin. Now my buddies are shooting Warthogs, Firecats and Bengals. The durability of my Martin and the reliability factor when in rough conditions was the selling point for many of them. That combined with a price point about 30% less than competitors was a real move. My local shop (Mathews and Diamond Dealer) is even considering adding Martin to it's lineup. I've been busy.
Now I feel like I'm going to risk looking like an *** due to folks going out and buying a bow that is going to break down within weeks.
Not good.
Doc

alex
08-01-2009, 03:39 PM
You're absolutely right, Doc! Unfortunately nowadays the main principle is buy something and when it brokes in two months (or year,or two) buy a new one. Once when something was "made in USA" or "made in Germany" that meant that it is lifelong (my grandfather has an american and a german drills that are about 60 years old and work great) and now everything is almost the same nevermind where it's made.For a craftsman like you the good name is still the most important, but is it so for the big companies? I don't speak of Martin - don't know much of them and everybody here says their customer service is great, but this is the policy of the big companies nowadays.

recondoc
08-01-2009, 03:55 PM
I know what you mean Alex,
I still work with cross cut and rip saws that belonged to my Great Grand Father. He was an old German immigrant Carpenter.
The world of Made in America quality seems to be failing these days. Hopefully Martin is one to hold the line but I won't know until I hear from them Monday.
They didn't have any Tech folks in the office Friday.
Doc

recondoc
08-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Attempted to contact Customer Service again today......Got Voicemail and no call back....
Great Job Rytera...you are getting ready to lose a vocal customer. (Vocal can be a positive or a negative.)
Doc

recondoc
08-03-2009, 04:17 PM
GOT MY CALL BACK.
Talked to Josh from Customer Service today. I have to get with an Archery Shop in my area to get the replacement CCS and cable.
He also told me that the "pull apart" or separation of the serving on the Hybrix Cams is just something that happens on them and that it will not affect durability or shootability.
Hopefully it will all come together.
Confidence is picking up but the end result will be what seals the deal for me.
Thanks Josh,
Doc

twisted archer
09-15-2009, 07:08 PM
If that rest is conected to that cable it is pulling it forward and to the side during the shot.

recondoc
09-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Fixed the problem. After incredibly sllllllloooooowwwww customer service, I sold the bow as quickly as possible and bought an Athens.
Doc

bubbacrabb
09-15-2009, 08:25 PM
Thats to bad you were not happy with the service. That is a sweet bow, and even with the highest quality of product you can have stuff made on early Monday mornings or Friday afternoons that just happen to slip by. That bow will probably last the lucky guy a lifetime. Thats why I always have a back up bow. I know Martin is number 1 in customer service, but even at that, i know Im not the only one they have to take care of. Hope your new bow works out.

tvs
09-16-2009, 07:19 PM
as pissed as i'm at with my warhog you mite look at your muzzy arrow rest it could be pulling the power cable off track at full draw