PDA

View Full Version : Cam lean on Saber???

spud4
04-17-2006, 06:40 AM
How much is to much? :confused: My new Saber, 70lb, Dyna cam. There apears to be a lot of lean on the dyna cam. It looks like the bottom limb is starting to twist. Also the serving on the cable is starting to get chewed out :mad: all this in about 4 weeks of shooting. What can I do to remedy this?? My dealer is about 2000km from me so I would like to avoid having to send the bow back.

spud4
04-18-2006, 12:01 AM
Thanks for all the feedback I have been really UNDERWHELMED :mad: :mad: :mad:

razorjack
04-18-2006, 12:40 AM
hello,i have a magnum jaguar,it also has the dyna cam system,i also have a little cam lean,but it doesnt seem to affect my shots,also i have noticed my cables are streching,might replace then or have them twisted,in your case though you say your strings are getting chewd up,or is the serving getting frizzled,that might be normal,maybe.......!my 2 cents............:D

spud4
04-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have just checked the serving again and it is not just frizzeled it has worn through:mad: I will have to send the bow back to my dealer and have him replace the cables. You would not belive how pissed I am about this. Less than 400 arrows and back it goes. I am booked on a deer hunt this weekend:mad: :mad: :mad:

montanacur
04-19-2006, 12:57 AM
I too would be interested in the answer to this question.

Jack NZ
04-20-2006, 05:57 AM
I also have a Saber with Dyna cam.
It's also wearing the serving in the same place.
I've put a good amount of string wax on it for now.
If it continues I'll talk with my dealer first but I'm tempted to remove the cam and smooth off the sharp edge with emery paper or a very fine stone.
An sorry Spud4,this is the first time I've visted this thread.
We'll see what happens.
Jack.

Jack NZ
04-21-2006, 09:03 PM
Spud4,
Something I just looked at on my own bow an might apply to yours as well,is the cable guide position.
I put an arrow on the string an checked the fletch clearance.
I have about twice as much as I need with the low profile Dura Fletch I'm useing.I can see that if I bring the cable guide in a bit there's going to be less tourqe on the cam, an therefore less lean.
Something to think about??

spud4
04-22-2006, 03:00 AM
Thanks Jack NZ :D I have set the cable guard in as close as I can. I have been in contact with my dealer and he say that this normal with this type of cam. And for the serving being cut through just wax it up heavily :eek:
Spud:cool:

unimpressed
05-01-2006, 02:57 AM
My new Saber was returned for the first time after shooting 12 arrows, the day after I bought it. The string was replaced twice, the cables have been replaced and reserved, the cams have been changed from tru arc cams to dyna cams and the cam torque still hasn't been resolved. It is still fraying and wearing and all this has happened in only 2 months of owning the bow. I am not happy, it seems to be a limb problem. The bow shoots great, but I can't replace the cable every second week. I have heard of other people have similar problems and am at the point where I am looking to Martin or the dealer for a final resolution.

PUG
05-08-2006, 06:08 PM
Every single cam design has cam lean associated with it to some degree. From the pics posted it does not look like excessive lean, but it is hard to tell from pics...It would be nice to have the bow in our hands, but I knw that is impossible. There is a chance the cam needs replaced, or the limbs need replaced....Have faith that we will take care of this as quickly as possible. Feel free to email me at jake@martinarchery.com, or give us a call at 800-541-8902 to discuss the options...Thanks

PUG

SRF
05-09-2006, 04:27 AM
I had not read this thread before posting another, "jaguar tuning problems". Both my dads Jaguar, and my Orion have these same issues. The serving on the cables wears heavily and very quickly where it contacts the cam! The original strings on both our bows snapped while shooting after 1000 arrows or so, and the bows were only 6-8 months old with light use. On both bows the string broke about 1 1/2" up from the draw adjustment peg. I dont know if this is related, since the serving in the area of breakage showed little wear, but who knows. In any case the bows both have brand new winners choice strings and cables on them now. Ive shot a few hundered arrows out of mine, my dad only a couple dozen since he had his replaced, and already there is signifigant wear on the cable serving on both bows! On both bows the cable guard is rotated just enouph to give the duravanes on our arrows clearance. Our local bow shop tried to turn the cable guards in even further to prevent the problem, but how are you supposed to shoot your bow with the vanes of your arrows bouncing off of your cables? Im sure the short axle-to-axle bows dont help the problem, but it seems there should be something you could do other than just waxing the serving on the cables. One things for sure, my local Martin dealer has been completely unhelpful to me. Maybe Martin should flare the groove on the cam out a little more to reduce wear? I like the idea of removing the cam and softening that edge with emery, seems like it would help to me, although they would probably say its gonna void your warranty so you can't do it. I keep getting told theres nothing wrong with the Dyna cams, but this thread and my own problems really have me wondering. Winners Choice strings arent cheap, I would hate to do it but Ill sell the bow and get something else if its going to just eat them up and I cant do anything about it.

Lifer
05-09-2006, 05:16 PM
SRF....look at the reply I posted on your thread. I also sent a PM.

Elk4me
05-28-2006, 03:55 PM
I too have a cam lean on my 2 week old Saber:eek: . I have taken my bow back to the dealer a week ago and he said that lean is NORMAL, I disagree. I have made posts on other archery foruums and showed the lean to alot of ppl in the archery world. Which all tell me that this lean is way too much. I have emailed jake at Martin with no return email, sent a 2nd email yesterday:rolleyes: . I hope I get a return email, this time. I want to send the bow back to Martin because my dealer I bought it from is mainly a Bowtech dealer and outright told me he dosn't know much about Martin. The bow is a great bow I am shooting well with it but it is shreading up the servings on the cable and string servings. I am very upset now and dont know what too do.My dealer here in NW Montana is 150 mi round trip ride down the mountain and there is 90 days left till opening day Elk season. Here are some pick Pug n Paul.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/Elk4me/Cablecamwear6daysold.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/Elk4me/CablewearoncamBow6daysold.jpg

Cabba
05-29-2006, 04:51 AM
We have had our Sabers since Xmas, & touch wood, we have been lucky that we don't seem to have any of these problems. Robbie did have the same cam problem with the wearing of strings on his jaguar though. We bought a leather deburring wheel to put on his grinder & polished the ridge out. This fixed the problem. You could also try taking it to a machine shop if you have one near by & get them to polish the cam for you. Hope this can help.:)

Elk4me
05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
Thanks Cabba for the advise:D . But since I just bought the bow 2 weeks ago I dont feel that I should have to go thru anything like that myself. I feel Martin should address the problem and fix it for me. I have NP sending the bow back to Martin for a Certified Tech checkup.:confused:

Cabba
05-30-2006, 01:35 AM
I do agree with you, that Martin should come to the party & fix the problem. We didn't have much of a choise as we live 3000kms away from our dealer & even a lot further from the Martin factory itself. We actually asked our dealer on the other side of Australia how to fix it & he was the one that told us to use the leather deburring wheel on the grinder. If we made a mess of the wheel he would then send us a new wheel at no cost. We have a great dealer here, very helpful. He rings Martin Archey personally for us. I suggest you be very persistant with your dealer, if no luck go the next level & go to the Martin manufacturers themselves.
We did have one problem with our 2 sabers & that was the poor finish in the colour. One phone call to Martin Archery, & 6 weeks later 2 new risers arrived in the mail. Because of the poor finish & thin paint on the first 2 risers we found that fly spray (aeroguard) added to the problem & melted the paint on them. The 2 new risers we have now have extra thick paint on them & a very glossy finish. Very hard wearing. Martin will help. RING THEM & THEY WILL HELP. We were the first to get Martin Sabers & 2 Slayr SE in Western Australia. No regrets.

Elk4me
05-30-2006, 11:38 PM
We'll I talked to Joel today and got a RA # and the bow is off back to Martin :D . Should get it back early next week sometime. I was very pleased with the prompt , curitious, and pleasent customer service from Martin unlike my local dealer:D WTG Martin and Martin Techs for a pleasent ,Painless, and over all great fix to the problem:cool:

Elk4me
06-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Well I am going crazy now:eek: no bow an georgious weather.:rolleyes: but I know Martin will have it fixed soon:D

MRHAPPY
05-27-2007, 10:30 AM
did you get it resolved? where do you get the arrow stand you have? how much? thanks

deer dude
05-27-2007, 07:48 PM
you think you got it bad ,you should see how bad the cam lean is on the pantera of mine,brand new bucknasty cable is already showing the cut after not 20 shots. id really like to get my cash back out of this bow.

Elk4me
05-27-2007, 09:37 PM
you think you got it bad ,you should see how bad the cam lean is on the pantera of mine,brand new bucknasty cable is already showing the cut after not 20 shots. id really like to get my cash back out of this bow.

Please post some pics Deer Dude I find it hard to belive cam lean on a Pantera I have owned one since December and havent had a problem. On AT we discussed maybe you have a string tracking problem , take some pics and show us the problem. Also call Martin 1-800-541-8902 and talk to Joel C or Jake they should be able to sell you an aluminium modual for the Pantera. Like I said post some pics so we can help you instead of bashing the bow!

deer dude
05-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Please post some pics Deer Dude I find it hard to belive cam lean on a Pantera I have owned one since December and havent had a problem. On AT we discussed maybe you have a string tracking problem , take some pics and show us the problem. Also call Martin 1-800-541-8902 and talk to Joel C or Jake they should be able to sell you an aluminium modual for the Pantera. Like I said post some pics so we can help you instead of bashing the bow!
yea, i shouldnt have bashed the bow but its been in the case ,not being able to shoot it ever since i have had it. kind of frustrating.i would hope that after all the problems i have had that martin would send me a an aluminum mod. for free. and really after looking at it ,it looks like its going to need some kind of spacer or shim to fix it. but im not saying anything else about it until i talk with martin.