PDA

View Full Version : Martin's 1600 SSS rebuild. Will this never end

andrewmoquin
08-11-2009, 02:23 AM
Martin wrote:

It has been almost a year ago that I purchased the 1973 Datsun 1600 SSS. Due to my workload and the fact that I have been far away from home for a good

portion of the time, the vehicle has just been standing in the garage.

But that is all about to change in the next 5 months. Starting this weekend, we (The SO, daughter, son and I) will start by stripping the vehicle and

sending the various bits to whomever can do the relevant work. As I have already decided to keep it 99.999%, this is the list of things that will be

done:

1. The body will be completely stripped and media/sandblasted. Then all the dents and holes need to be patched. I am also not happy with the body panel

gaps, so by some means I need to make the doors bigger, if you know what I mean. Afterwards the body will be professionally spray painted in the original

colour.
2. One of the trickiest things will be to keep the interior original. There is a crack in the dash that needs to be fixed. The carpet will also need to

be replaced. That is the easiest part. The original material for the seats and door panels in vinyl. I would like to keep it that way, as I don’t think

any upholstery company can give me the exact finish in leather. The seats itself is in a very good condition considering. The rear seat is badly damaged

by the sun, but it is one section that can easily be replaced with a new piece of vinyl. Apart from that, the only other damage is a small tear in the

driver’s seat. Even the springs inside the seats have not sagged. The roof lining also needs to be redone.
3. The chrome bits. The bumpers are both dinged. These will need to be repaired and re-chromed. As this car is from the ‘70s, there is a lot of chrome on

it. All these parts will need to be fixed and re-chromed.
4. The engine needs an overhaul. That I will do myself.
5. The suspension needs all ball joints and rubbers replaced. Sourcing the spares might prove the biggest problem here.
6. The electric system is still in working order, but from previous experience with these vehicles, I will replace the complete wiring loom. It might

mean me changing each and every wire myself as I don’t think new looms are available. I also don’t think anyone else would take on the job of making a

new loom. I might be wrong.
7. The 0.001 % that will change. If I can not find nice period mags for the vehicle, I will just widen the steel rims by about 2” to accommodate 185 or

205 tyres. I will then slap on the original hub caps onto these rims.

Taking all of this into consideration, I need you guys to suggest individuals or companies that can do a lot of the work for me. People that you will

trust with your baby.

1. Media basting or sandblasting of a complete car.
2. Panel beater / spray painter that would take his time with the body.
3. Auto trimmers that will take the necessary care and attention to detail with the interior.
4. Dashboard repairs.
5. Chroming of body parts.
6. Suspension part suppliers. Including new coil springs etc.
7. If I’m lucky, an Auto Electrician that would make me a new wiring loom from the old as a template.
8. Widening of the steel rims.
9. AnythingI forgot? I will add to the list as things come up.

I will start posting pics of the rebuild as it progresses. Over the weekend I will also post some “before” pics of the car. Thanks in advance.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/misc/martin_logo.jpghttp://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/misc/martin_logo.jpghttp://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/misc/martin_logo.jpg

brushrat
08-11-2009, 11:34 PM
Martin wrote:

It has been almost a year ago that I purchased the 1973 Datsun 1600 SSS. Due to my workload and the fact that I have been far away from home for a good

portion of the time, the vehicle has just been standing in the garage.

But that is all about to change in the next 5 months. Starting this weekend, we (The SO, daughter, son and I) will start by stripping the vehicle and

sending the various bits to whomever can do the relevant work. As I have already decided to keep it 99.999%, this is the list of things that will be

done:

1. The body will be completely stripped and media/sandblasted. Then all the dents and holes need to be patched. I am also not happy with the body panel

gaps, so by some means I need to make the doors bigger, if you know what I mean. Afterwards the body will be professionally spray painted in the original

colour.
2. One of the trickiest things will be to keep the interior original. There is a crack in the dash that needs to be fixed. The carpet will also need to

be replaced. That is the easiest part. The original material for the seats and door panels in vinyl. I would like to keep it that way, as I donít think

any upholstery company can give me the exact finish in leather. The seats itself is in a very good condition considering. The rear seat is badly damaged

by the sun, but it is one section that can easily be replaced with a new piece of vinyl. Apart from that, the only other damage is a small tear in the

driverís seat. Even the springs inside the seats have not sagged. The roof lining also needs to be redone.
3. The chrome bits. The bumpers are both dinged. These will need to be repaired and re-chromed. As this car is from the Ď70s, there is a lot of chrome on

it. All these parts will need to be fixed and re-chromed.
4. The engine needs an overhaul. That I will do myself.
5. The suspension needs all ball joints and rubbers replaced. Sourcing the spares might prove the biggest problem here.
6. The electric system is still in working order, but from previous experience with these vehicles, I will replace the complete wiring loom. It might

mean me changing each and every wire myself as I donít think new looms are available. I also donít think anyone else would take on the job of making a

new loom. I might be wrong.
7. The 0.001 % that will change. If I can not find nice period mags for the vehicle, I will just widen the steel rims by about 2Ē to accommodate 185 or

205 tyres. I will then slap on the original hub caps onto these rims.

Taking all of this into consideration, I need you guys to suggest individuals or companies that can do a lot of the work for me. People that you will

trust with your baby.

1. Media basting or sandblasting of a complete car.
2. Panel beater / spray painter that would take his time with the body.
3. Auto trimmers that will take the necessary care and attention to detail with the interior.
4. Dashboard repairs.
5. Chroming of body parts.
6. Suspension part suppliers. Including new coil springs etc.
7. If Iím lucky, an Auto Electrician that would make me a new wiring loom from the old as a template.
8. Widening of the steel rims.
9. AnythingI forgot? I will add to the list as things come up.

I will start posting pics of the rebuild as it progresses. Over the weekend I will also post some ďbeforeĒ pics of the car. Thanks in advance.

http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/misc/martin_logo.jpghttp://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/misc/martin_logo.jpghttp://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/images/misc/martin_logo.jpg

I know a little bit about archery (although,some might argue that).....very little about cars. Are you sure that this is the right "site" for you??

Are you interested in archery???;)

RogerSr
08-11-2009, 11:42 PM
I wanted to know what kind of sight you have on that Datsun?

Desmond
08-12-2009, 05:26 AM
What's the draw weight of it's engine? :rolleyes:What's the speed?,.... Under 300fps or over? :D

bfisher
08-12-2009, 08:23 AM
Definitely under 300fps. It would have to be doing 340+ miles per hour to hit 300fps. 60mph equals 88fps.

Desmond
08-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Unless he put some NOS,....... Cams! :D