PDA

View Full Version : Firecat W/ C.A.T. Cams

fridge24
08-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Is there a specific way to tune the Firecat Pro-X with CAT cams? I just purchased an 09 Firecat PRO-X with CAT cams and I'm only shooting 249fps. I shoot 450g Vapors (including a 100g field tip). I am assuming that if I went to a lighter arrow I would increase my speed. Any suggestions??

Also, I am having a tuff time getting my bow paper tuned. Any suggestions there?? Thanks.

hotrod26
08-13-2009, 09:12 AM
Go to Archerytalk and read this thread www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601 It will answer alot of your questions.

fridge24
08-13-2009, 11:03 AM
Go to Archerytalk and read this thread www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601 It will answer alot of your questions.

Thanks for the info.

bfisher
08-13-2009, 07:45 PM
What draw eight and draw length is the bow set for? 450 grains is a pretty heavy arrow by today's standards.

Just for a starter my FireCat likes the arrow about 1/16" above square and the rest set for centershot just about 15/16" from the rubber shelf pad. Even tiller.

fridge24
08-14-2009, 07:47 AM
What draw eight and draw length is the bow set for? 450 grains is a pretty heavy arrow by today's standards.

Just for a starter my FireCat likes the arrow about 1/16" above square and the rest set for centershot just about 15/16" from the rubber shelf pad. Even tiller.

The bow is set at 66# draw weight and the draw lenght is 30". I do plan on getting lighter arrows soon. I have just started reading the thread that was suggested to me earlier in the this thread. There seems to be a lot of tinkering I'll have to do.

Jake-the-snake
08-14-2009, 08:26 AM
you should be shooting faster than 249 fps, even with 66lbs, and a 30 inch draw length...although im sure shooting a lighter arrow will a help a lot...once you get it all tuned post how fast your shooting then:)

fridge24
08-24-2009, 09:05 AM
you should be shooting faster than 249 fps, even with 66lbs, and a 30 inch draw length...although im sure shooting a lighter arrow will a help a lot...once you get it all tuned post how fast your shooting then:)

I just got 75/95 GT arrows with a total of 400grns. I chronoed out with a speed of 271fps. Still a lot slower than I want.

Spiker
08-24-2009, 10:32 AM
'09 Martin FireCat
60# dw
29" dl
50.5gn. on string (including speed nocks)
396 gn. arrow (GT XT)
280 fps.

I think I could get a little more speed outta this (lots of weight on string)
but as it is it shoots really accurate and quiet.
I set it up per the suggestions on the AT thread which brought it up from
the way it was outta the box (250fps) to 280.
I shows a very slight high/right tear thru paper at point blank range but broadhead and field point poi is identical out to 55 yards.
It is my hunting rig so I'm not concerned about distances any farther.

bfisher
08-24-2009, 12:07 PM
'09 Martin FireCat
60# dw
29" dl
50.5gn. on string (including speed nocks)
396 gn. arrow (GT XT)
280 fps.

I think I could get a little more speed outta this (lots of weight on string)
but as it is it shoots really accurate and quiet.
I set it up per the suggestions on the AT thread which brought it up from
the way it was outta the box (250fps) to 280.
I shows a very slight high/right tear thru paper at point blank range but broadhead and field point poi is identical out to 55 yards.
It is my hunting rig so I'm not concerned about distances any farther.

That sounds like a right nice combination of speed and quietness. Almost a perfect hunting rig, IMO.

Spiker
08-24-2009, 12:47 PM
That sounds like a right nice combination of speed and quietness. Almost a perfect hunting rig, IMO.

Thank you!
It would be about perfect if the ATA was 38";)

p.s. I read in one of your old posts that you only have a tied-on nock set and meta-peep on your string. Do you shoot with a release right off the string?

bfisher
08-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Thank you!
It would be about perfect if the ATA was 38";)

p.s. I read in one of your old posts that you only have a tied-on nock set and meta-peep on your string. Do you shoot with a release right off the string?

I shoot a Cascade model 8 marketed by Spot Hogg. It's a rope release. I wrap the loop around the string and hook it up, slide the rope right up against the bottom of the nock. I've been using this style of release (rope) for field, target, hunting, and 3D for about 30 years. Been shooting this model 8 for nearly 10 years. One thing I can say. The rope does not wear out the center serving nor does the rope wear out. I've never changed the rope on the release.

I quit using wrist strap releases many years ago. I tried several and found that they stretch me out too far. The Cascade is fairly small so fits my small hands very well. Most T handle releases are too big for me.

I had to edit this. I'm in complete agreement about a 38" bow. I'll be picking next year's bow very carefully, probably a custom build. Maybe an S4 mag with mini-Cat cams. Just a thought.

If I ever change to a string loop I'll most likely give the Saturday Night Special a real workover., but being in the twilight of my shooting career I don't see that happening. I've got three Cascades and three back tension releases. Can't see spending $110 on something I might not like.

Jake-the-snake
08-24-2009, 01:50 PM
they make mini cat cams????

Spiker
08-24-2009, 04:13 PM
they make mini cat cams????

Sshhh... Quite please.

bfisher
08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
According to Laura, whom I met this weekend the answer is YES. She is shooting a Warthog with mini-Cats at a 24" draw. If you check the catalog specs the advertised draw on the Warthog is 27" to 31".

That's the reason I didn't get one. Had I only known.......... I sure would have preferred to have that extra 3" of A2A.

bfisher
08-24-2009, 09:39 PM
Now I have to eat crow. Just talked with PUG and he informs me that mini_cat cams were built specifically for Laura and are not, at this time, available. Bummer. I would have liked to build a new toy.

RogerSr
08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
Hey Fisher,
Whats your draw length? I thought you have a firecat, how much shorter is the draw length on it then the warthog?

bfisher
08-25-2009, 07:25 AM
I shoot bows with about 26 1/2" draw, give or take a touch. 4 years ago it was 27 1'2" but I've learned more and more as the years go by. Anyway, I got my FireCat last year and found that it draws a measured draw length of 26 5/8" on the #1 setting and ten extra twists in the string, so probably 3/4" longer than advertised.

The advertised difference between the Warthog and FireCat is 1". Warthog is 27" vs 26" for the FireCat (on the short setting). Therfore I opted for the Moab this year to see what all the hoopla was about the MPro cam being so easy to draw. IMO it isn't much different than the FireCat and the FireCat is 15-20 fps faster at the same poundage. I just shoot the Cat better, that's all.

What the heck. I might as well ramble on. Do you ever see some posts asking about nobody using overdraws anymore? Well, it's not an add-on anymore, but compared to the days it was today's bows are so severely reflexed that the overdraw effect is built right into the riser design. And as we know, the more the reflex, the more torque-y a bow becomes. Essentially sacrificing accuracy for the lust for speed.

I'm throwing around some ideas for next year's bow being as I'm not the speed freak I once was. I'm thinking of maybe a Scepter riser with May (14") limbs and Cat cams, or mini-Cat cams if they become available for us common folk. This might be a good balance between speed and accuracy and still fit my draw length with a longer A2A bow, somewhere in the 38" length.

It's just a thought at this point. Who the heck knows what Martin will come out with next year.