PDA

View Full Version : Lowering Poundage Razor X

jhoek
08-18-2009, 11:46 AM
I have a Razor X set up as a shoot through with B cams and 70lb limbs. I would like to loosen the limb bolts to set the poundage to 60lb. I have heard that the bow will not perform as well if you do this. I'm told If you want a 60lb. bow you should have 60 lb. limbs. My question is how will the performance be affected? Drawing the bow is not the hard part the hard part is holding it back as it wants to creep forward. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Montalaar
08-18-2009, 11:58 AM
I shoot my Razor-X also backed off a bit. This does not affect the performance as much as you might fear. The only difference is that the bow is a bit more noisy. But also that in a very small amount.

jhoek
08-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can see where it could raise the noise level.

bfisher
08-18-2009, 12:38 PM
I might add that many tims the rpblem is not the holding weight, but that the draw length is too long. As you come to full draw and start aiming most people wrongfully creep forward just a bit, maybe 1/4" or so. When this happens the bow is no longer in the valley. The result is that, especially with something like Nitrous cams, the bow wants to take off on you. Shortening the draw just a bit helps tremendously.

That being said, dropping the weight can also help.

jhoek
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I had wondered about that also. I thought I might have a better muscular advantage if my anchor point were a little bit forward of where it normally is. This may be a stupid question but I will ask anyway. Could shortening my mechanical release (mine is adjustable) help to shorten the draw length? Or is there a better way?

Montalaar
08-19-2009, 01:15 AM
Try shortening your release first. Maybe you can post a picture?

bfisher
08-20-2009, 07:53 AM
Shortening the release does not shorten the draw length. It just shortens your anchor, which in turn accomplishes the same thing. It allows you to get your back muscles into holding and aiming, and aligns your arms and shoulders better in line with the arrow. The back muscles are larger and stronger than the arms and shoulders.

Not having pictures of you I'm going to advise you to get on Archery Talk and use the search function. There is a user there named Nut&Bolts that is a real guru on helping people get their form down to a Tee. His advice is solid and pictures are in detail.

I knowI had the same problem as you when I got my first Pearson single cam bow back in 2000. I found that shortening the bow's draw length less than 1/4" made all the difference in the world. Since then I've gotten shorter and shorter, from nearly 28" down to about 26 5/8" now.

So yes, I would try tinkering with the release first. It's the easiest change right now and may just get you where you need to be.