PDA

View Full Version : Offering my help

PLASTIC PAUL
04-27-2006, 04:02 PM
I am a factorty staff shooter for Martin. If anyone wants my assistance with getting the most out of their bow or with shooting in general feel free to post here or send me a PM.

I will do what I can to help, there are no stupid questions.

selil
04-28-2006, 02:28 AM
I am a factorty staff shooter for Martin. If anyone wants my assistance with getting the most out of their bow or with shooting in general feel free to post here or send me a PM.

I will do what I can to help, there are no stupid questions.

Coming to northern Indiana anytime soon. I'll buy you dinner... If you help me with my target practice :)

PLASTIC PAUL
04-28-2006, 02:24 PM
I will take you up on that or if you are ever in my neck of the woods we can get together. How is your shooting now, any rough spots ?

selil
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
I will take you up on that or if you are ever in my neck of the woods we can get together. How is your shooting now, any rough spots ?

Actually my shooting is coming along. I'm learning a lot about shooting when it isn't level (3D) and that is making some turbulents in my shot pattern. I'm real square on how I do my shot. Same pattern, every time, or I start over.

PLASTIC PAUL
04-30-2006, 02:13 AM
I commend you because you have made the biggest step already. You have a regular shot routine and you start over when things aren't right. Here is how I look at that "I can't get it back". I found a great book tonight by one of my favorite authors. The title is "Putting out of your mind" any hard core archer would immediately see how this would translate to our sport.
One of the things he mentions is how the best putters do it the same way every time. There was a time when I even had little bullets (notes) typed up really small and taped on the back of my limb to help me stay focussed under pressure.
The other point I picked up already is pretty neat but so hard for so many. The great putters expect every putt to go in the hole. Do we as archers expect every arrow to go into the X or 12 ring ?? If we don't why did we bother to even let the shot go, or draw the bow for that matter. Tonight I was working on my form and loosening my shoulder after last weeks disaster.
I was shooting at the top of a golf tee, I fully expected to hit the top of the tee on every shot. Not just hit it but split it clean in two right down the middle. I obviously didn't do that with every arrow or i wouldn't have any left but i still need to expect perfect results every time or i should let down.
If i can help in any way give me a shout.
With regards to uphill and down hill.......There is more effect on you than there is on the arrow. Keep your form solid and you will score well without making any major sight adjustments.

jhoek
05-03-2006, 05:11 PM
I have a "stock" razor X dyna cam purchased this year. This is my first Martin and I love it. Any ideas on improving performance? Also, I have read about the shoot through system in a lot of threads. What are the advantages? Can a bow like mine be adapted to the shoot through? What are the disadvantages. As you can tell, I'm ignorant.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-03-2006, 10:53 PM
There is no such thing as ignorance just inexperience... Yes your bow can be adapted to the shoot thru system. You would need a set of Nitrous X cams and modules for your draw length and a new set of string/cables.
First you need to know there are no performance disadvantages at all !!
There is a short learning curve of 15-20 minutes when you first start with the X system. I takes a few minutes to get accustomed to loading an arrow from the front and to having the cables near your arm.
Advanatges...Oh where to begin... First you will see tighter groups over-all. Because this cam system is pure in terms of the power stroke it is more forgiving. By pure I mean the nock travel is straight forward from all angles. There is NO cam lean or limb twist of any kind. The way is very firm without being bone jarring, this is due to the draw stopsw coming into all four cables.
This brings up another point, the ciming can be adjusted without a bow press, as can the draw length. This can be really handy if you don't have a press or just for fine tuning purposes.
Another little thing that the nitrous X system does is give you more speed. This basically comes in three forms. First the cams can now turn more smoothly on the bearings because there is no side load on them. Another little speed thief that few think about is the cable guard and slide, oh bye the way thses little guys can also effect accuracy. The last one is pretty cool. The Nitrous X cam system performs best with softer arrows. As we all know softer generally means lighter. I was shooting Light Speed 500's at 58lbs last year, man was that rig fast !!!
I hope this has answered some of your questions.

hunter
05-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Sir, did you get a pm from me ? just wondering if it is working ..If you have no anwsers ..that's cool ..thanks ..

PLASTIC PAUL
05-04-2006, 11:05 AM
Hunter_ Sorry about that !! I will look at the numbers today and see what we can put together. Life has been pretty crazy lately and i forgot to go back and look at the numbers for you. I will see what we can do to get you all the speed we can without killing you. I am really into lower poundage bows and maing them work to their optimum.

OH, Call me Paul, or Plastic.....no sir needed

hunter
05-04-2006, 11:41 AM
Paul, That sounds good ..I know it is not an easy deal.. But, I hope I can get things worked out .. Thank you ,for any help you can give me .. Btw..the .sir, thing,is just how we are taught to address people in Oklahoma ..Country thing I guess ..Thanks.. Cody

jhoek
05-04-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for answering. Can you tell me approximately what the new cams would cost and if they would work properly with the current limbs or if they would they make the bow extremely difficult to draw back? I am trying to get my bow to Crackers for tuning and was wondering if this might be a worthwhile upgrade that he could do.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-04-2006, 02:16 PM
They should work just fine and there is no better person to do the upgrade than Crackers. He will get you quared away. It is worth every dime !!!

PLASTIC PAUL
05-04-2006, 02:19 PM
Cody, I am raising my kids the same way. It was very much appriciated but not needed I'm just a country boy.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-09-2006, 12:38 AM
I have gotten some PM's from folks and hopefully I have been helpful to some degree. if anyone else needs any assistance get in touch with me.

newarcher
05-16-2006, 03:19 AM
I'm new to archery and have been trying to sight in my bow at 30 yards. I'm deadon at 20 but when I shoot 30 its over to the left about 6 inches. I was told to move my rest (Trophy Taker) only to find out I can't move it any more than it already is. Any suggestions on a rest? Also I want to try bear hunting. Any suggestion on a size and type of arrow? I've got my bow set at 50lbs and have currently been shooting a Carbon Express hunter arrow with field tips for practice.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-16-2006, 03:31 AM
I have some questions for you before I answer in any great detail. What bow are you shooting? What cam system?, and what is your draw length? I believe the 50lb will work but your shot placement will need to be excellent. I would look at a small diameter arrow that will carry plenty of speed. I would give Easton Axis, or ACC's a serious look. They will penetrate well behind a broad head and are very durable. They will also help you keep your speed up which translates into KE. For the rest question I need the other info before i can go too far. I need to know though, are you keeping an eye on your level when you shoot?

newarcher
05-16-2006, 09:27 PM
My draw length is 26" and I'm shooting a Sabre with a Dyna cam and its set for 50 lbs - I find the arrows I was recommend to use really heavy and I am finding it difficult to shoot at 40 yards.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-17-2006, 12:53 AM
What arrows are you shooting? I know what i would recomend but first let's see what you have set up now. Just don't get frustrated, we all had to start somewhere. I will stick with you and get you shooting well. What Carbon express are you shooting ?

oneshot7
05-17-2006, 01:48 AM
Is there anything else that i can do to get my phantom magnum for 2002 shooting better----besides your strings which i will get from you later i cant afford any right now bud being 14 i am on a limited budget any way do you know anything else Paul:D :cool:

PLASTIC PAUL
05-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Accuracy and Speed are in the details !!! Make sure everything is well oiled that needs to be. Make sure your center shot is right. Arrows have a great deal to do with all of this. Make sure they are the same length, straight, and your vanes aren't loose or torn.

Most of this falls on you in terms of working with the bow and practice. Don't just fling arrows develop a regular practice routine.

newarcher
05-17-2006, 03:48 PM
the arrows I'm shooting are Carbon Express Select Terminator Hunter. When I first bought my bow I got 6 Easton Axis arrows but were told by "someone" that they were too light and wouldn't have enough kinetic energy to kill game.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Check out Easton's web page they have a KE calculator. Speed is a bigger factor in figuring KE than arrow weight because the formula has speed weighted more heavily.

newarcher
05-18-2006, 03:28 AM
ok say that again, I just need to know what kind of arrows I should be using.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-19-2006, 03:07 PM
I would be looking at a an arrow that is around 5-6 grains per # and is corectly spined. I would cetainly give the Axis a serious look. Another factor most hunters over look is diameter. A skinny arrow will penetrate much better behind a broad head than a fat one.

Contrary to what most people think a lighter arrow will give you more KE because it will hold it's speed longer.

cb671
05-25-2006, 04:34 PM
Hey Paul can any other cam besides the Fusion Cam be used on my Cougar Magnum? Like the Nitrous Cam? I purchased the bow in 2002 ... Also when is it appropriate to change the limbs. I don't shot as much but average shots during the year is in the range of about 100 to 200 + times a year.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-25-2006, 04:55 PM
CB671- Measure the width of the slot in the limb ends. If the slot is wide enough I am sure we can copme up with something. It may take some figuring to get the strings right but we can get it done if the cams will fit.
As for limbs, I shoot close to 30hrs a week and have never changed out a set of limbs due to loss of performance. Limbs should last a very long time. The materials used for the limbs on modern bows don't take a set very easily.

Measure that slot and get back to me.

cb671
05-25-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks Paul once I get home I'll take the Measurements I am posting at work:p . I was just wondering about the limbs...I have Friends that shoot 2 other brands and their limbs are showing signs of cracking while mine is not ... Thats one reason I am sticking to Martins!:D

cb671
05-27-2006, 03:44 AM
ok Paul the gap Width is about less than an Inch and it's almost 4.5" long. Also do they still make the risers for the Cougar Magnum? I'm looking for a Black one.

fhideg
06-01-2006, 10:05 PM
I have a 05 shadowcat nitrous x, a cams. My dealer tells me that with the x system I can't use a drop away rest. Is he right? I was looking into three different rest. Trophy ridge drop zone, shakey hunter, copper john scarddy cat. Do you know if any of these rest will work. Right now I am using a quicktune 360, shooting carbon express maxima 250's. I fletched the arrows stiaght with quickspins so their aren't any problems with fletching contact with the 360. But now am wanting to be able to switch between shooting the carbon express 250's and gold tip 30x's. I shoot 3d and target. I was leaning to the trophy ridge drop zone with micro adjust so I could switch between the two easily. Any suggestions?

PLASTIC PAUL
06-02-2006, 11:53 PM
CB Yah you can still get Cougar Risers. They are still making the Mag as well, it simply has differnt limb pockets and limbs than say an elite limb Cougar. My P-3 lkimbs have a 13/16 gapo for the cams and i am shooting the Nitrous X so you may be able to put those cams on your bow.

Fhideg- You most certainly can use a drop away on an X system. The best way is to run a short cord between the two down moving cables and then attach your drop away cord to that cord with loose loop. That way the drop cord will pull evenly on both cables. It sound slike your dealer isn't ral knowledgable about the X system. Go enlighten him. However if you are going to shoot target i would suggest a lizard tongue like a Pro-Tuner with the Martin Mount. They have no moving parts and are therefore very reliable.

MissouriMule
08-14-2006, 02:41 PM
Plastic Paul:
I read in another section you shoot the Phantom for Martin. I purchased a Phantom II elite w/ Nitrous x-system last year. I'm shooting 70# w/ 28 1/2 arrow, (31" draw). 400-410 gr Carbon Express Maxima & Maxima Hunter w/ 3 fletch blazer vanes shooting 100 gr tips. I put an Ultra-drop away rest and a Matrix v-drive single pin sight, last chrono was around 290, I shoot w/ a release from a string loop.
OK, with that all said, my delima is that I can't see all of the pin ring when I shoot. The top of the riser that curves back out from the cut-out covers the top of my sight ring, I can't see the top of a deer target. Any suggestions? I had the rest & string loop put on at a pro shop.
Also have you had any experience w/ the Ultra drop away rest? I don't think it is gettting completly out of the way of the arrow. The felt that is place on the top side of the fork was getting snag off by? has to be the fletching working it off.

PAhunter
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Do you have any suggestions for my drop away rest. I am not getting clearance of my fletchings. I took it back to the Archery shop and he stated it was my fault because to bow is to short for me. (6'3"). I feel that he is just trying to get me to purchese a new bow from him. Is a short bow too short for someone my size? and does a Tracer accept a drop away rest well? Has anyone else had any problems with the drop away rest on their Magnum?

I am just learning the sport for the second time, so please bear with me

Any help would be appreciated.

PAhunter

bcriner
08-25-2006, 07:23 PM
If you are comfortable with the bow, then you are right, he may be just trying to sell you a new bow. However, taller people sometimes do prefer the more comfortable string angle generated by a longer ATA bow.

As for the drop away rest, make sure that you do not have the rope that attaches to the cable, too tight. It should not pick up the rest until about the very last 1" of you draw. The later it pics up the better. Sometimes what happens, people set them up tight and they hold the arrow rest longer than normal. Then upon release as the string pushes the arrow forward, the cable may not have come up quick enough to release tension on the rope and allow the rest to drop.

Hope this helps.

Clay

AtomicCactus
08-27-2006, 03:42 AM
I was wondering if I could get some enlightenment, either from Plastic Paul or the other great people here.

Now, I don't want this to be a "which is better" question, but which bow would you prefer for target shooting, the RazorX w/ Elite limbs and Nitrous cams, or the C4 Cougar w/ Elite limbs and Nitrous cams?

Thanks a bunch for the guidance!

- aC

bcriner
08-29-2006, 08:06 PM
Are you referring to strickly spot shooting or all around target use (spots, 3D, etc). Either the C4 or the Razor will be fine for spots. I prefer the Razor just because of the deflex riser compared to the C4. However, for all around use, you should check out the Rytera Triad Elite w/Nitrous X cams. This will be around 39 1/2" ATA w/ 8" BH and IBO speeds around 305fps. This bow is awesome. The grip built into the riser, is better than anything Martin has ever produced.

Clay

lincoln
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
hey, i was wondering if you could tell me what kind of sight is this, it came with a bow i bought from ebay and i dont what it is or how to put it on my bow. 394

dbd870
08-22-2008, 03:47 AM
Looks like you only have part of a sight.

scepterman30x
08-22-2008, 07:08 AM
There is no such thing as ignorance just inexperience... Yes your bow can be adapted to the shoot thru system. You would need a set of Nitrous X cams and modules for your draw length and a new set of string/cables.
First you need to know there are no performance disadvantages at all !!
There is a short learning curve of 15-20 minutes when you first start with the X system. I takes a few minutes to get accustomed to loading an arrow from the front and to having the cables near your arm.
Advanatges...Oh where to begin... First you will see tighter groups over-all. Because this cam system is pure in terms of the power stroke it is more forgiving. By pure I mean the nock travel is straight forward from all angles. There is NO cam lean or limb twist of any kind. The way is very firm without being bone jarring, this is due to the draw stopsw coming into all four cables.
This brings up another point, the ciming can be adjusted without a bow press, as can the draw length. This can be really handy if you don't have a press or just for fine tuning purposes.
Another little thing that the nitrous X system does is give you more speed. This basically comes in three forms. First the cams can now turn more smoothly on the bearings because there is no side load on them. Another little speed thief that few think about is the cable guard and slide, oh bye the way thses little guys can also effect accuracy. The last one is pretty cool. The Nitrous X cam system performs best with softer arrows. As we all know softer generally means lighter. I was shooting Light Speed 500's at 58lbs last year, man was that rig fast !!!
I hope this has answered some of your questions.

I know the thread is what looks like a couple of yrs. old but just my 2 cts.

Igorance?...Inexperience?...is one in the same.

ignorance (plural ignorances)

The condition of being uninformed or uneducated. Lacking knowledge or information

Montalaar
08-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I think you can be inexperienced without being ignorant. When i joined the forum i was absolutely inexperienced with compound bows but i do not think that i was ignorant. :P

scepterman30x
08-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I think you can be inexperienced without being ignorant. When i joined the forum i was absolutely inexperienced with compound bows but i do not think that i was ignorant. :P

I concur. I can see where you could for instance be very knowledgble about one thing but not have enough experience to actually follow through with the physical act of doing something.