PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a new FireCat - got a question

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Hey everyone,

I just found and bought a 2008 FireCat that had never left the rack at my local dealer. Yes I got a sweet deal on a GREAT bow. But now I have a question.

I bought the bow as a built package, but worked a deal to swap the whisker biscuit for a hostage pro I already owned and got a small discount for it. It has a Martin factory 3 pin sight and quick release quiver on it. My guess is this is a package for a Cheetah or something in that range because I have a small issue - and therefore a question.

I paper tuned the bow last night and it shoots bullet holes every time - that's good. Next I began the process of sighting and setting my first pin. I chose 10 yards as a start point. I centered my pin in the peep, placed the pin on the center of the target and let it go. The arrow went to the left edge of the target. No problem, I adjusted the sight left to compensate and tried again. This time was a bit better, but still left. Once more I went to adjust the sight - but now I had run out of bar - I cannot move any further left!! I shot two arrows with the bar slid as far left as it will go and I am still 10" left of center at 10 yards. Simply said the bar is too short. My arrows were touching so I know the bow is shooting fine - the sight just needs to move.

Measuring the distance from the riser to the center of the arrow I get 1.25". Measuring the bar for the sight I get 1.5".

Simple issue I know, but is there a longer bar available for these sights? since the string is off center to the left on the bow (by design) is there a sight that would work better/best on this bow?

Love the FireCat, but I would like to aim on the target.

BTW, The dealer has NOT left me out in the cold on this - he will work with me, I just thought I would throw this out to the group and do a little fact finding on my own.

Any advice?
Mike

Spiker
08-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Seems like your center shot may be out a bit far.
Riser to center of arrow on my FireCat is right at 15/16".

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 09:29 AM
please excuse my ignorance, Center Shot ??

Spiker
08-20-2009, 09:46 AM
If you look down the cams / string with an arrow nocked does that all line up with each other or when the string and cams are inline does it look like your arrow is pointing to the left?

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 10:43 AM
If I look from the back of the bow, with an arrow nocked, the string, arrow and cams line up perfectly. When I shot said arrow through paper I get a bullethole with three vane marks sticking out of it.

I also took a look a the cams themselves and the bearing placement. The large (taller) bearing is on the right and the smaller (shorter) bearing is on the left (string side of cam). wanted to make sure that is the correct layout.

thanks for the help - keep it coming
Mike

RogerSr
08-20-2009, 11:48 AM
I would have to agree with spiker, your center shot is off, you need to move your arrow rest a bit, not change the bar on the sight,

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
But that will throw the paper tuning out the window ...

eldermike
08-20-2009, 12:13 PM
Vanes can fool you on paper tuning, they correct the arrow flight very quickly.

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 12:31 PM
so I am a little confused - well maybe a lot.

I paper tuned at about 10 feet from the paper and then another 6-10 feet from the paper to the target. When I started the arrows were kicking pretty bad to the right. This produced a pretty ugly tear and the arrows were tilted to the side in the target. So I moved the rest to the left to correct. As I got the tears smaller the arrows also looked better in the target.

I admit the arrow does sit more to the left of the arrow shelf, but so does the string. The fletching does NOT even reach the left edge of the shelf, it is still inside the boundaries of the shelf.

I don't want to disagree with you guys, I would love to simply move the rest and call it good, but I don't think de-tuning the rest is the best solution.

Oh well, I guess I better go take another look at it
thanks for the pointers
Mike

eldermike
08-20-2009, 01:15 PM
The arrow could be kicking on the rest, this can be due to a low nock set position or weak arrow spine.

Spiker
08-20-2009, 02:59 PM
Set your arrow rest so center of the arrow is 15/16" from the riser.
Set your nock point on the string so your arrow is 1/16" high from square.
Line your sight up so it is inline with the arrow and string.
Shoot at a verticle line on your target from 3 yards.
If you hit left of the line - move your sight left a hair.
Do the opposite if you hit right.
Once your putting the arrows right on the line from 3 yards move back to 10 yards and shoot from there.
You should be really close.
Also be sure that your arrows are the correct spine for the bow and err to the stiff side.
FireCats seem to like it stiff.
(if your arrows were 'kicking to the right' you probably should move your rest right)

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks guys for the advice. I went back over to the bow shop and he swapped the top cam (it was off vertical just a hair). He used a center shot laser and set the rest and sent me home to paper tune and test. We did shoot a couple arrows in the back room, but since his 'range' is about 10' long - we only watched to see if the arrow was really kicking one way or the other. The rest did center up in a little closer to the riser this time.

When I got to tinkering with it in my shop at home I put a couple shots through the paper. It behaved the same as before and some left tears. They looked like this (ooooooX) I messed with the rest a little and made the tears much smaller but noticed I was headed the same direction as before. I got it down to this (oX). I knew the sight wouldn't go that far and just put it back like it was from the shop. (it should be real close to 15/16 Spiker). I know the paper would say I am off - but I went on out to the target anyway. I set a pin for 10 yards and shot a few arrows. Well, note to self, aim at multiple spots on target or be prepared to buy lots of arrows!! I robin-hooded one in the first 10 arrows!!

So, do I think it will look perfect if I am shooting through paper - most likely NOT. Do I think I have a fast accurate bow that is shooting great in spite of that - Most definitely.:D:D

Thanks again for the pointers - I am learning a lot and having fun doing it!

BTW, the arrows were all pretty much straight by the time the reached the target during paper tuning - and were completely straight by the time they reached the target when setting 10 and 20 yard pins. I am on my way now!!

oldschoolcj5
08-20-2009, 06:32 PM
BTW, I probably will upgrade my arrows - good suggestion Spiker. I am shooting some Stalker Extremes from Cabelas with 4" Quickspin vanes. I have the heavy ones (rated for 65-80# bows). So, if I go lighter, shorter, stiffer and cut back to Blazers vanes - I might get more accurate and faster. Well it will at least be different.:)