PDA

View Full Version : My girl is getting into archery

bubbacrabb
09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Hey fella's, well my girlfriend has decided to start up on archery. I think I have pretty much looked at this every way possible. I havent ruled out any brand, even though I am very partial to Martin. She is pretty much clueless on the entire thing. Infact when we went to look at bows she held it with the string and tried to pull back the riser. Wow!... I got a lot of work to do with this city gal. Anyone have any experience with teaching anyone with not even the slightest clue to what they are doing? My draw length is way to long, and I shoot at 70# so we have to buy her a bow. I thought about the used route. Thought about clearence racks. Im thinking a pretty forgiving bow around 40-50 lbs with atleast 7+ bh. Just dnot want to blow a ton of money yet until I find out if she's going to stick with it. Well any insight is appreciated!

SandSquid
09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
HAnyone have any experience with teaching anyone with not even the slightest clue to what they are doing?

My wife and I are both NFAA Level-II Coaches and run a Youth Archery Group at our church that has about 40 active "regular" kids in it and plenty more that show up one week and we don't see them for 7 or 8 more weeks.

We get kids off the street that never held a bow before in their life and but the end of the first two hour session can usually at least hit the 36"x36" bale that is 10 feet away with 2 out of 5 arrows :)

My strongest advice is to find her a qualified coach, someone besides yourself.

I'm not implying you are not a good teacher or don't know what you are doing!

What I'm saying is it is not wise to coach "family" or anybody you have a strong emotional attachment to.

But be forewarned, if she's at all like any of the ladies I shoot with and coach, it won't be long before she's spanking your scores. My wife won the NFAA State Women Freestyle Championship 6 months after picking up a bow for the first time in her life. After Nationals she said "this is so boring, it's like all you do is point, aim, squeeze a trigger and shoot, it's like shooting a rifle... I want to shoot recurve next year" she's now putting up 250's shooting recurves.

And I take ZERO "credit" for any of her shooting. I build and tune and repair her bows and strings. But do NOT coach her or my daughter (NFAA Cub Female Freestyle State Champ ;-)

bubbacrabb
09-14-2009, 06:16 PM
That is some good advice. However I learned everything I know about hunting and shooting from trial and error. I dont think any system is right or wrong. I was hoping I could just get her to learn the principals of it and then she would pick it up. I know growing up I bought a Bear blackbear and learned how to shoot that from watching TNN outdoors, then i got a Bear Whitetail 2 and killed my first deer with it, worked my way to a Martin Fury which I used for the past 10 years taking a lot of white tail, now im with a Moab shooting anything I can get a tag for in the west. I shoot pretty good groups out to 70 yards and have never been coached. So I hope I can get her into it like I am without a coach. If need be I can do that. I just would like it to be something between her and I. Besides 3d shoots with buddies when a case of PBR is at stake I dont think either one of us are going to be at a level you or your family is. If she can consistantly hit a pie plate at 30 yards she can kill deer. I shoot almost every day, so im sure having her tag along that much she'll be robin hooding arrows also before she knows it.

SandSquid
11-30-2009, 07:56 AM
I was hoping I could just get her to learn the principals of it and then she would pick it up.

Really, two 1-hour lessons with a qualified coach will give her good foundation in the basic building blocks of any type of archery. Get her started knowing what perfect form really is and feels like and she will know no different and be able to take archery wherever she wants to, whether it's plinking milk jugs in the back yard, taking big game, shooting 5 spot, or a full FITA round.

I'm not just saying this to try and drum up business for my fellow coaches, If they are like me and my wife, they will probably even do it for free. We NEVER charge anybody for coaching even "private" lessons, although there is always two adults present due to liability issues.

Nor am I trying to say that the BEST method is the only way to go. But it does teach you, from the very beginning, a solid foundation that applies to all archery. And give you the ability to easily take it to the next level is they want to. I'm sure you can train her to a point where she is proficient and having fun shooting with you, that is not the question. Issues arise when the shooter wants' to take it to "the next level" and start competing, that is when you will be seeking the coach. Now if the coach is teaching the BEST method there are going t be some pretty radical changes, and they are going to have to unlearn lots of ingrained "bad" habits. I've had countless kids come to us for coaching that my wife and I had to completely "rebuild". Their dad or uncle or grandfather showed them how they learned to shoot and it works. They are able to harvest game and have fun shooting 3D and even not embarrass themselves shooting indoor spots. It's when that same kid sees the other kids putting up 300's with big x counts, or see's the 3 foot trophy on the table at the post 3D shoot BBQ that they start to want those things for themselves. I know it works, my 9 year old girl is shooting high 290's and the occasional 300 when she doesn’t phych herself out. If she tells me today that she wants to quit archery , OK by me. I am not one of those over-bearing parents, you know... the kind you see screaming at their kids from the sidelines of the T-ball game like it's the World Series. But I do want to give her the ability and opportunity if she wants to persue it.

Thackeray61
08-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Why would you prefer in Bulacan?

GrahameD
08-28-2010, 05:02 AM
Ya man, about the same thing happened with my boy friend :D
It seems you had recalled my past memory, I am just enjoying the threads over here, :)