PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Cheetah Grips???

comstox
09-06-2009, 01:58 PM
I just got a new 2007 Cheetah and I can't get used to the grip. It's so.... flat and narrow. My last bow was a Martin Prowler and it had a molded riser with a rounded grip. Twas PERFECT for my hand.
Does anybody know where I can get other grips for my 2007 Cheetah???

Thanks in advance!
Glen

comstox
09-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Does anybody even know where I might look???

Thansk again,
Glen

Montalaar
09-06-2009, 11:34 PM
The grips are thin and small to prevent torque. This happens when you use a grip like the grip on a mathews or a recurve.

I think there are three possibilities.

(1) Ask one of the well known grip makers like Shrewd or anyone else if he can make you a Recurve-like grip for your compound.

(2) Get tape and make your own grip (most people use the tape that is used in tennis).

(3) W&W or some other manufacturers produce a two components product than can be applied to the grip and will cure very fast. Then you can work with it to make it fit your hands.

alex
09-07-2009, 08:40 AM
Or get a file, a sandpaper, a glue and two pieces of wood and make a grip that you like the most-i'm sure you'll be more happy and proud with it then if you buy one ;)

Montalaar
09-07-2009, 10:31 AM
I cannot recommend this tip as it would mean to build your own grip out of two pieces. Although it is a nice idea both sideplates could move against each other so that they could be uncomfortable.

alex
09-07-2009, 11:57 AM
:p OK, then make it from a single piece! :D Although i'm not sure exactly what do you mean by "moving against each other".Nevermind, the important thing is comstox to feel comfortable with the grip. :)

bfisher
09-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I've always advocated using the smallest grip one can get. As mentioned, it allows for less torque. Frankly, I'd prefer something about as thin a a razor blade, but that might get pretty ugly. The reason I like a small grip is because I learned many years ago that I shouldn't grip the bow at all. That leads me to wonder why that area of a riser is called a grip in the first place.

But that is not the gist of Glan's post. I have looked through Martin's catalog and I don't think there is much that will help his situation. Already mentioned was the idea of using a wrap like those used on tennis rackets. Another is the wrap marketed by Simms (Limb Saver). Either might work, although I have no love of rubber for grips.

If Glen wants a wooden or plastic grip then a search on Archery Talk for aftermarket grips might show something. Of course, they don't come cheap.
I only know a couple names. Shrewd being one and Torqueless being another.

comstox
09-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Guys thanks for your replies! If I just loosely hold the bow and let an arrow fly, my bow torques to the left like CRAZY! I get NO accuracy. With my old Prowler I used an 8" steel stab extention with an additional 6" or 7" heavy weighted stabs. I think I may try that on the new bow. I just can't seem to get a feel for the new grip. That may stem from a wrist accident I had many years ago.

Do you guys know of any other reason my bow may torque so far to one side when held loosely? I mean it really SNAPS over and I get NO accuracy. I suppose this is what I deserve for switching to a new bow 2 weeks before Deer season!:rolleyes:

ANY additional help will be gladly accepted!

Thansk again!
Glen :)

bfisher
09-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Glen,

I found a couple of others. Over on www.hunting.net.

www.jagerarchery.com. They show one for the Bengal, which has the same grip configuration as the Cheetah. Tronjo grips is the other one, and I know nothing about them.

As for your torquing issue I can't say anything for certain without seeing you shoot. Only thing that always comes to my mind is "The bow is short." Not conducive to stability. That and a highly reflexed riser. That's why I prefer something around 38", even with my small 5'8" stature and 26.5" draw. Treestand hunting? I hunted years ago with bows 48" long and was able to shoot them out of treestands. With today's shorter bows it's harder to get stability and accuracy. Not that it can't be done. It's just harder to do so.

For me it's getting harder and harder to find bows with less reflex, the A2A I like and at my draw length.

comstox
09-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I need some help finding anything about Martin Grips on huntingnet.com What phrase/words should I search for?

Thanks again,
Glen

bfisher
09-07-2009, 07:43 PM
A2A ? - Axel to Axel???
I'll check those grip out in the morning!
Thanks again,
Glen

Not quite. Being a picky old fart I have to say it's Axle to Axle. Sorry Glen. I had to do it.

Let us know what grips you find.

RogerSr
09-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Fisher, I know what you mean about reflex bows, the only bows I have that have deflex risers are not Martins, their center trac Bowtechs, a Commander and a Guardian, but they are not cheap.