PDA

View Full Version : Long draws

bfisher
09-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I just want to say that I envy all you long draw people. I wanted to say "hate" but that wouldn't be me. I'm talking about all you 29" to 31" guys. I'm stuck with something around 26.5" so I'm never going to get even close to the speeds you guys get. But then there's an upside to this. I will never ever break a limb or experience the amount of cam lean you guys have.

Hope you can all read this with a touch of humor. No hard feelings toward anybody. I have to play the hand that I was dealt.

Everybody have a nice day.

Coop
09-10-2009, 10:28 AM
might have alittle more speed on the bow...but, try going to the clothing store, and find something that has the right length in the sleeves & pants.. good luck on that!! LOL
Not to mention, going to the proshop and finding a bow to fit... another good luck.

Coop

Spiker
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
So you maybe miss out on 35-40fps but never have any problems with your bow and it still shoots 40-45fps faster than what you were shooting just 10 years ago...
I been bow hunting my whole life and for about 10 years was really into all the 3-D, target, spots, etc and was actually pretty good at it - with my old Martin that zoomed the arrows out there at 214fps.

wisecane
09-10-2009, 12:19 PM
BFisher is just a cranky man with short(er than mine) arms. Pay no attention to him.

just kidding Barry :)

Dave308
09-10-2009, 01:01 PM
might have alittle more speed on the bow...but, try going to the clothing store, and find something that has the right length in the sleeves & pants.. good luck on that!! LOL
Not to mention, going to the proshop and finding a bow to fit... another good luck.

Coop

Especially hunting cloths. I have to get 3x shirts so the sleeves cover my arms and pay the extra 15 or 20 bucks for long pants. Oh well, who said life was fair :cool:

Montalaar
09-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Coop

x2

It gets really challenging to find a bow that will fit the real long draws here (31.5" too and that is with a wrist release.....). Luckily i will never have problems with clothing as the most people here in europe/germany are either small to midsize or huge....
But as most bows are manufactured in the us... :(

alex
09-10-2009, 03:01 PM
It's nice that by "most people" you mean "people under 25 years" ;) The older are normally tall, just the teenager mutants who you must raise your head to talk to :D

RogerSr
09-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Fisher I know, I used to shoot 60-70# bows, but after braking my back in a motorcycle accident, and three back surgery's, not to Mention I'm older now,and shooting 50# at 28"DL, but the bows these days are faster so I have not lost that much, but a 31" DL would be nice.

hunter1964
09-10-2009, 07:52 PM
I have a 31" draw and never broke a limb yet and the bow I am using is old, knock on wood.

bfisher
09-10-2009, 08:07 PM
So you maybe miss out on 35-40fps but never have any problems with your bow and it still shoots 40-45fps faster than what you were shooting just 10 years ago...
I been bow hunting my whole life and for about 10 years was really into all the 3-D, target, spots, etc and was actually pretty good at it - with my old Martin that zoomed the arrows out there at 214fps.

Not really. I actually was getting 284 fps from a 1992 Darton Viper that I bought as a leftover in 2003. I don't remember the specs. In fact I didn't even worry about it back then. I do know I was shooting 27.5" draw and 61# at the time. Overdraw and XX75 2112, target points. Paid $200 for the bow new.

And backing up some more, back in 1973 I was getting 232 fps out of a Jennings Arrowstar, 51#, 27 1/2" draw. The arrows were X7 Blue 1614 with target points. Even that small arrow was more than 5 gr/lb.

So as you can see arrow speeds haven't gone up as much as some people would think. Surely not as much as prices. That Arrowstar was Tops for the day and target color cost me $275.

Hey, it's been nice reading the other posts, too. It helps to see all the monkey armed guys have their own problems. Just kidding guys. I just wanted to break the monotany of all the tech talk and throw a little humor into the fray.

Montalaar
09-10-2009, 11:42 PM
It's nice that by "most people" you mean "people under 25 years" ;) The older are normally tall, just the teenager mutants who you must raise your head to talk to :D

Let's say 'people under 35 years' ... ;)

bigbob
09-11-2009, 04:51 AM
guess I,m one of those long draw types you mentioned as I pull back 32'' on full draw, and my only gripe is some of the carbons dont run that long uncut. Still I suppose I'm a rare breed anyway as I am a "dyed in the wool" finger shooter with absolutely no desire to go to the dark side. Seriously guys buy a rifle.Stir stir.

wisecane
09-11-2009, 11:05 AM
Well you know what they say about opinions and sphincters...