PDA

View Full Version : junk martin strings?

Unregistered
09-13-2009, 08:33 AM
just bought an 09 firecat was shooting yeasterday and noticed my serving is coming major loose on cam(bs my opinion) and my buddy bought an 09 bengal having the same problem except not on cam its on cam end took it to gander mntn had new string put on with in a wk its back there for another and now i gotta take mine i know there more people having this problem any hint or help? wish i would have gone with another bow company now i dnt even have 100 arrows thru the pile pisses me off with hunting season so close

twisted archer
09-14-2009, 07:34 PM
Those martin strings are more than likely Stone Mt. Strings.

Dave308
09-14-2009, 08:01 PM
Are these bows properly tuned (cams timed, cam and or wheel lean taken out)? If not they will eat through any string you put on them.

rharris0624
09-23-2009, 01:53 PM
I have an '09 Bengal and the string is fraying just above the serving under the nock point. There is a great bit of vibration in the string (I have it set at 70#, with a CCS). I noticed the label at the bottom of the bow says the string is 92 inches. The string length listed on the chart for this bow says the string should be 90 inches. I bought this bow mail order through the factory.

jpermenter
09-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I have an 09 Cheetah and the serving is crap on it, the string is ok but whoever did the serving at the factory sucked at it. I have been meaning to call and see if they would do anything about it but bow season starts next weekend so there is no way I am sending it in even if they would do something about it. Anyone have any suggestions besides paying to have it reserved?

Montalaar
09-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Maybe you should get an aftermarket string as there is no warranty on string and cables. :)

bfisher
09-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Strings are one tiem not covered by warranty, but if the bow is as new as you guys are saying then a call to customer service might get you a new one
The Pros series bows such as the FireCat have Stone Mt. strings on them and should be better than those on the Gold Series. At least that's been my experience. I've been shooting mine for over 1 1/2 years and finally have some serving separation coming off the top cam, but maybe 10,000 or so shots it's about time.

As for the original unregistered poster, you got a new string at a local shop and the new one is a bad as the old one. Now I would ask what kind of junk strings does your shop carry? Most shops carry some generic string such as Tailor Maid and these I wouldn't even use just to hold the bow together. The things creep forever and the serving is always loose. You could have just as easily had the original reserved and had something decent.

in most cases and with most bows it pays to just put GOOD aftermarket strings on them from the first day you get it. It's not a problem endemic to Martin. There are other manufacturers making very good bows with junk strings. It shouldn't be this way, but it is.

jpermenter
09-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Yeah Bfisher i didnt really think they would do much since there is no warranty on them but I honestly have shot less than 200 arrows with it and it looks like crap already, I will try and take some pics and post, maybe I dont have something set up right and it is causing problems but the bow shoots great. I will probably just buy a new string after this season and be done with it, what would you guys suggest for a good aftermarket string? Thanks for any advice. And unlike the unregistered user, Im not now or never would think about switching brands, I love my cheetah I just dont want to bust a string at full draw, I hear that doesnt feel good!

bfisher
09-24-2009, 06:26 PM
Yeah Bfisher i didnt really think they would do much since there is no warranty on them but I honestly have shot less than 200 arrows with it and it looks like crap already, I will try and take some pics and post, maybe I dont have something set up right and it is causing problems but the bow shoots great. I will probably just buy a new string after this season and be done with it, what would you guys suggest for a good aftermarket string? Thanks for any advice. And unlike the unregistered user, Im not now or never would think about switching brands, I love my cheetah I just dont want to bust a string at full draw, I hear that doesnt feel good!

Man, there are so many people making strings these days. The workmanship just keeps getting better, along with the materials. I've only ever used three brands. Winner's Choice, Prostrings, and Bucknasty.

Winner's Choice is always mentioned at the top. They are good, but high priced. My choice of the three I mentioned is Bucknasty. Every bit as good as WC, but about 2/3 the price.

Also to be considered is Vapor Trail, America's Best, H&M, and tons of others. You can find a lot of them listed on Archery Talk. I'm going to try H&M next time just to determine for myself how good they are. Maybe you could contact MeanV on Hunting.net. He supposedly has very good prices on Vapor Trail. It's worth a shot.

I would say this, though. If you are experiencing some sort of chafing or the cam or module is cutting the serving then you should address this issue first. In cases of cam misalignment or such people think getting a new string cures the problem. Look at it this way. Maybe you have a factory string on that the module tears up the serving. It's going to do the same thing to a nice new $75 custom job.

Here's another option in some cases. Just go to a good bow shop and have the string you have reserved. Usually the string/cable is good. Just the serving is loose or worn. If they're more than about 1 1/2 years old with a lot of shooting on them then just replace them.

In your case for now? Give Martin a call. 200 shots is nothing more than a good week of shooting and strings should not go bad that quick.

drevilmike77
09-26-2009, 10:42 AM
I have a 09 Bengal and only got 40 arrows threw it before the serving came loose. I am just going to get a new set of strings from Vaper Trail. I have a set on my ols PSE and have zero problems with is.