PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah - Major string noise

jbennett
09-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I am new to the Tech Forum but a long time Martin owner, I have had a Jaguar for years. I loved the bow but it was time to upgrade. I really like the Cheetah but I am having terrible string vibration. I have installed all the anti vibration (sims) that I am willing to put on (and it's just about everything they sell). Any help would be greatly appreciated I have 11 days till the season opens.

alex
09-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Try an STS - i think that the Cheetah accepts it.

davydtune
09-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Make sure the cam orientation is right. Where the string comes off the cam there should only be 3/8" to 1/2" of the string track showing.

Also I used the Sims string leeches for awhile and while they did quiet the bow, they don't last very long. I've went back to good old cat whiskers in conjunction with an STS and all my rigs are super quiet.

jbennett
09-15-2009, 10:14 AM
do you have a picture of this so I know exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks

davydtune
09-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Try this. I posted this to another thread. The cam in the pic is out of orientation. The red arrow denotes about where the string should come off them cam. This is the M-Pro2 cam but the the original will be the same way. Where the string groove stops to where the string comes off the cam, that is where the 3/8" to 1/2" comes in.

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=4995

jbennett
09-15-2009, 11:53 AM
It appears that I have too little, so I should untwist the string maybe twice and see where I am at?

davydtune
09-15-2009, 11:56 AM
No you need to adjust twist or untwist the cable not the string. When you say too little do you me not enough groove showing? If that's the case you'll need to untwist the cable. Just go a little at a time. I stick with on half turn. It usually don't take too much.

jpermenter
09-15-2009, 01:11 PM
I also have a cheetah that I am trying to make more quiet, I have an STS, octane stabalizer, and sims limbsavers which have all helped but it stll seems to be pretty loud, I checked the cam on mine like you guys have been discussing here and it seems to be fine, One more question, my cheetah came with string silencers that appear to be twisted into the string, is there a good way of getting those out or am I going to mess up the string trying to do that? any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

jbennett
09-15-2009, 07:28 PM
do you plan on replacing them with something else? In my experience the ones that came with the bow are fine I switched mine out with sims and it made zero difference.

davydtune
09-16-2009, 05:35 AM
I also have a cheetah that I am trying to make more quiet, I have an STS, octane stabalizer, and sims limbsavers which have all helped but it stll seems to be pretty loud, I checked the cam on mine like you guys have been discussing here and it seems to be fine, One more question, my cheetah came with string silencers that appear to be twisted into the string, is there a good way of getting those out or am I going to mess up the string trying to do that? any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Just back the limb bolts out until the bow relaxes a bit, around 10 to 12 full turns then slide them out. I've tried just about every silencer on the market over the last 20+ years and I can say nothing beats good old cat whiskers. ;)

bfisher
09-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Just back the limb bolts out until the bow relaxes a bit, around 10 to 12 full turns then slide them out. I've tried just about every silencer on the market over the last 20+ years and I can say nothing beats good old cat whiskers. ;)

Ditto that. Cat Whiskers cost about 1/4th of some of the other, work just as well, and pretty much last the life of the string. They might slow the bow down a little more, but if it's for a hunting setup a speed difference of even 20 fps doesn't mean squat at 25 yards.

jbennett
09-16-2009, 09:16 AM
no matter what I do to the cable I can not get the string to get that extra distance on the cam?

davydtune
09-17-2009, 06:56 AM
Can you possibly post some pics?

jbennett
09-17-2009, 12:16 PM
here is one I have one more

jbennett
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
here is another view

jbennett
09-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I am also getting a clicking noise when I draw my bow back just before I get to full draw. It sounds like it is coming from the lower cam/limb area. I took it to a bow shop and they inspected the limbs but did not see anything, and the guy was more interested in bashing Martin than helping. Any ideas on this. I have added a supressor and it is still very noise. Could I have a cracked limb?

davydtune
09-17-2009, 12:29 PM
Try taking about 4 twists out of the cable on the cam end. That should put you close. Your really not to far off right now. 4 twists may be too much but if it is you could just put a couple back. Does the clicking only do it when you first draw the bow after it has sat for awhile? My would do that at first but after a few pulls it went away. Once I replaced the factory string and cable plus shot some silicone spray around the cam, axles, and spacers it stopped. I think it is the plastic spacers that are doing it but I'm could never tell for sure. Maybe some else has an idea?

jbennett
09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
I had a small crack in the lower limb. Martin is sending me a new one with a new cam I should have it by monday. Then start over for opening day saturday.