PDA

View Full Version : Dented top cam

AdamA
09-17-2009, 06:20 PM
I had my bow out looking at it this evening and noticed that the top cam has a dent in it. It's about 1 1/2" long and NOT from an impact, the bow has never been dropped. I bought the bow new a few months ago but never got around to shooting it until last weekend. On the inside of the came where the string is it looks like someone took a file to it....very weird. If I could figure out how to post some pics I will. It just doesn't make any sense. With less than 10 days until bow season I'm not really keen on sending it back to Martin. Which brings me to my next question....do you send the bow directly to Martin or to the store you bought it?
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/AAndrews08/Picture1242.jpg
http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo234/AAndrews08/Picture1240.jpg

buckshot20
09-17-2009, 06:51 PM
Call customer service tomorrow and ask them what to do. If you have a dealer close by they will probably tell you to go there. Good luck I'm going through a similar problem. Hopefully I will get mine back before the season. Cross your fingers

AdamA
09-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I just sent them an email but will call them tomorrow so I can talk to someone and hopefully get an email address so I can send these pictures to. The dealer I purchased from is almost 2 hours away from me and I doubt he's set up to do the repair but I'll call him also to find out. Like I said, I rather have the cam and do it myself. I think after shooting it the yellow wore off the string and made it more noticeable because I sure didn't notice it before. Last weekend was really the first time I've shot the bow.

On the other hand, I may take some sand paper and sand it down a little and use it this season.....we'll see.

Dave308
09-17-2009, 07:20 PM
It would only take 10 minutes to put a new one on. Maybe they can just ship it to you.

Coop
09-17-2009, 09:01 PM
I would check to see if the whole cam is bent and/or axle... Good luck

alex
09-18-2009, 04:28 AM
From these pictures i can say that this is a dead cam :( Don't shoot it and don't try to repair it - it's useless.If Martin send you a new one you can change it. There's a good "how to" video in YouTube from LeArl or something like that -when you search for Martin bows you'll find it.(If you can't i'll give you a link) Good luck!

Montalaar
09-18-2009, 05:24 AM
LeArl

LeEarl. ;)

oktx
09-18-2009, 06:29 AM
The idler on my 08 Moab was bent during shipping. I called them and they shipped a new one directly to me. I had it on in about 10 minutes.

AdamA
09-18-2009, 03:49 PM
i called the dealer I purchased it from and he's suppose to get back with me, he's going to have them ship me a new idler wheel.

any advice when changing it out?

AdamA
09-18-2009, 04:29 PM
I just watched the LeEarl video and do any of you have any tips for cam timing? Is there a way to mark things so all is well when the bow is reassembled?

Any help would be much appreciated:D

Dave308
09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
This should help ya.

http://www.martinarchery.com/mtechforum/showthread.php?t=4995

bfisher
09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Adam,

There really isn't much you need to mark for a direct swap such as this. If you think you can tackle the job yourself then have at it. You can use a bow press to get slack in the rigging or just turn the limb bolts out till the string goes slack. Slip the string off, use a small screwdiver to pop one of the E-clips off the axle, then either push or tap the axle out far enough to get the idler out. Put the new idler in and push the axle through it, replace the washer, and push or tap the axle the whole way back through the limb forks. Put the E-Clip back on, slip the string back on the wheel. Make sure the string and cable are in the grooves as you put pressure back on them and you should be set to go.

If you use the "turn the limb bolts out" method the only thing that's really important is to count the turns and turn each one out the same amount. If the bolts are bottomed out you can get about 11-12 turns and the rigging should be slack. Watch the threads through the barrel nut.

As the guys said, it takes about 10 minutes if you know what you're doing. 15 minutes if you don't.

Mess it up and we'll be here for you.