PDA

View Full Version : i need help bad.

stuntmanstunter
09-21-2009, 02:24 PM
i have a 08 martin bengal. The bow shoots great but i am having some clearence issues with the fletchings hitting the shelf of the bow when arrow is released. i had a bow doodle on it and i took it off and put a QAD on it to see if the drop away would help but it didnt. both rest i can see fletching marks on the shelf. i had 2 bow shops chech it out move the arrow notch up and down , relevel the notch and still im faced with the same issues. i am looking for awnsers

Dave308
09-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Have you checked your center shot? Sound like it may need moved out.

bfisher
09-21-2009, 05:30 PM
Do you have fletching marks on the shelf or on the side of the sight window. These are two different locations. Not seeing the bow if the marks are on the shelf it's possible the rest is mounted too low or the nocking point is too low, or both. It also may be possible your arrows are WAY underspined for the bow and flexing too muchvertically.

If you look at the rest from the side with an arrow nocked the arrow should pretty much bisect the rest mounting holes. The centershot (left to right) position of the rest should measure approximately 3/4" to 15/16" from the sight window to the center of the arrow.

Tell us more about your particular setup. The bow poundage and draw length. Length and spine rating of the arrows, type of fletching and point weight.

stuntmanstunter
09-23-2009, 06:11 PM
i have fletching marks on the shelf but since i took the bow doodle off and put the drop away on it they are just rubing the arrow rest now all the way down it and we tryed moving the notch up and put a longer arm on the arrow rest. the arrows are flying good though and i can shoot under 2 inch groups at 30 yards but just concerned about the fletching leaving marks on the rest.... . it has a QAD ultra rest on it. i am shooting 29 inch draw at 70 pounds. as far as the arrow spline and spine i am new to bow hunting and a archery shop cut the arrows and said they were the right ones, the name of the arrow is Vforce HV by victory archery, on the arrow it says V3 350 = 60/70. the arrow is 27 inches long not including tip or notch. i know the tips are 100 grams. the fletchings had the 2 inch blazers but the man up at the archery shop put lower profile fletchings on them to try and make clearence.

bfisher
09-23-2009, 08:46 PM
Can you post any pictures. You are ware that the main purpose of a drop away rest is to "drop" so your fletching doesn't make contact, right? Usually the problem is rest timing. Could be a low nocking point (loop) Several othe things. A picture might help.

brushrat
09-23-2009, 09:12 PM
i have fletching marks on the shelf but since i took the bow doodle off and put the drop away on it they are just rubing the arrow rest now all the way down it and we tryed moving the notch up and put a longer arm on the arrow rest. the arrows are flying good though and i can shoot under 2 inch groups at 30 yards but just concerned about the fletching leaving marks on the rest.... . it has a QAD ultra rest on it. i am shooting 29 inch draw at 70 pounds. as far as the arrow spline and spine i am new to bow hunting and a archery shop cut the arrows and said they were the right ones, the name of the arrow is Vforce HV by victory archery, on the arrow it says V3 350 = 60/70. the arrow is 27 inches long not including tip or notch. i know the tips are 100 grams. the fletchings had the 2 inch blazers but the man up at the archery shop put lower profile fletchings on them to try and make clearence.

i too have a 08 bengal with a dropaway rest. I have plenty of verticle clearance above the shelf shooting 2" blazers. Archery shops seem to be hell bent on setting rests so the arrow is on c/L of the berger holes. Save yourself a lot of trouble and raise the rest up. I have 7/8" from the shelf to the bottom of my arrow as it is setting on the rest (in the up position ,of course). That is plenty of room for blazer vane clearance and it shoots broadheads out to 50 yards as if they had eyes. ;)

bfisher
09-24-2009, 07:07 AM
i too have a 08 bengal with a dropaway rest. I have plenty of verticle clearance above the shelf shooting 2" blazers. Archery shops seem to be hell bent on setting rests so the arrow is on c/L of the berger holes. Save yourself a lot of trouble and raise the rest up. I have 7/8" from the shelf to the bottom of my arrow as it is setting on the rest (in the up position ,of course). That is plenty of room for blazer vane clearance and it shoots broadheads out to 50 yards as if they had eyes. ;)

I agree. Most people think the Berger hole is some magical height to set a rest. It's not that important. 1/4" higher or lower is not that much of an issue. No matter what height the rest is set at you can always tune the bow accordingly.

Years ago the grip was located in the vertical center of the bow. The rest, therefore, had to be located about 2- 2 1/2" above center. All we did to compensate was change the tiller with the top limb showing 1/8" to 1/4" less than the bottom. Then adjust the nocking point to shoot the arrow.

With today's newer geomeetric configuration the vertical center usually fall right around the shelf area. In other words the rest, although moved down about an inch, is still located above center. Most people don't know this and just think the Berger holes are centered vertically when it isn't so.

Just tune the bow.

Jake-the-snake
09-24-2009, 10:22 AM
is your rest timed correctly? you would want it so that it picks up within the last half inch to inch of your draw cycle

bfisher
09-24-2009, 02:25 PM
is your rest timed correctly? you would want it so that it picks up within the last half inch to inch of your draw cycle

I wanted to ask this myself, but I think the QAD is one that locks in the "up" position and is released when the bow gets near full draw. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

I never played with one cause I have no use for any type of capture rest, dropaway or otherwise.

stuntmanstunter
09-24-2009, 02:54 PM
my arrow rest timing is right i have taken it to 2 bow shops they also moved my notch loop up and down and level again then a little above level still same contact. and they have said the same they are puzzled why i am getting contact. i bought it used on ebay from dale hollow outdoors in tenesse. i called them and told them about the issues and they told me the qad dont drop away fast enough and i needed to get a muzzy accelartor or a trohpy ridge, but the other people i took it to say qad is a good one and there is a issue with the bow. is there timing issues with the cam? is there a way to check timing? from the top of my shelf to the bottom of my rest in up poistion is 3/4 inch. from the side of my shelf is to the center of my rest is 1 inch. from center of my top wheel to notch loop is around 14 5/8 inch. the back of my rest to the center of my loop notch is 5 1/2 inch. im trying to throw everything out there to try and see if something maybe wrong. also paper tuned it and shooting straight as a arrow.

stuntmanstunter
09-24-2009, 02:58 PM
what kind of warranty does martin have on there bows? also is it possible for someone to send a bow in to see if there is something wrong with it?

bfisher
09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
my arrow rest timing is right i have taken it to 2 bow shops they also moved my notch loop up and down and level again then a little above level still same contact. and they have said the same they are puzzled why i am getting contact. i bought it used on ebay from dale hollow outdoors in tenesse. i called them and told them about the issues and they told me the qad dont drop away fast enough and i needed to get a muzzy accelartor or a trohpy ridge, but the other people i took it to say qad is a good one and there is a issue with the bow. is there timing issues with the cam? is there a way to check timing? from the top of my shelf to the bottom of my rest in up poistion is 3/4 inch. from the side of my shelf is to the center of my rest is 1 inch. from center of my top wheel to notch loop is around 14 5/8 inch. the back of my rest to the center of my loop notch is 5 1/2 inch. im trying to throw everything out there to try and see if something maybe wrong. also paper tuned it and shooting straight as a arrow.

Good that you have all these measurements. From a glance it appears that nothing is out of the ordinary with them. Centershot might be a little left, but not bad. No matter, it sounds like your issue is in the vertical plane.

Now the rest. I have heard (read) similar reports about the QAD not dropping quick enough. I also know a lot of people who use them successfully. Maybe place a call to QAD and see if they have an issue. Many times companies will redesign or have replacement parts when they have issues with an original piece of gear. Maybe there is an issue with the the rest.

It's kind of like picking at straws. You have to try and eliminate one thing at a time. Start with the cheapest and most obvious.

buckshot20
09-25-2009, 07:49 AM
This may seem very obvious but if everything else is checking out ok maybe try repositioning your notch feather. If its in th down position put it up. Again this has probably already been addressed but its worth a look

eldermike
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
How are your arrows nocks rotated; cock feather out, up or down? Up gives the most rest clearance. It's only slightly more but it's more.

eldermike
09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
This may seem very obvious but if everything else is checking out ok maybe try repositioning your notch feather. If its in th down position put it up. Again this has probably already been addressed but its worth a look

ahh, you beat me to it.......good advise

davydtune
09-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree. Most people think the Berger hole is some magical height to set a rest. It's not that important. 1/4" higher or lower is not that much of an issue. No matter what height the rest is set at you can always tune the bow accordingly.

Years ago the grip was located in the vertical center of the bow. The rest, therefore, had to be located about 2- 2 1/2" above center. All we did to compensate was change the tiller with the top limb showing 1/8" to 1/4" less than the bottom. Then adjust the nocking point to shoot the arrow.

With today's newer geomeetric configuration the vertical center usually fall right around the shelf area. In other words the rest, although moved down about an inch, is still located above center. Most people don't know this and just think the Berger holes are centered vertically when it isn't so.

Just tune the bow.

Yep. I purposely set mine a tad high just to make sure.