PDA

View Full Version : help with setting up pin sights

Bart Thring
09-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Can anyone please help me. I have a set of pin sights on a Martin Slayer bow 60 lb. The question I have if any one who offer some advice
Should the first pin be on the target crosshair from 5 m to 10-15 m at the moment at 8 or so metres it hits the crosshairs on the target (which I am over the moon with) but if I move a metre or two back it hits 5cms above the crosshairs and if I move forward a metre it hits 5 cm below the crosshairs.
(Martin Slayer cat cams 60lb Draw Lenght 28 inches Release Aid shooter)

bfisher
09-22-2009, 07:45 AM
I'm not quite up on converting meters to yards, but I'll give it a go.

The Slayer is fast enough that you should probably set your first (top) pin at 18 meters. Second pin for 27 meters. Third pin for 36 meters and so on.

Converting this I'm talking about 20, 30, and 40 yards respectively. It might vary depending on just what intervals your targets are usually shot, but these are good places to start.

Does this help?

Montalaar
09-22-2009, 10:22 AM
As Barry said do not worry about the short distances yet. Make sure to set your sight up for ~20m, 30m and so on. I guess that your are located in a country were targets are set at metre-distances so that is easier for you.

Once you did that you will find out that the 18m pin is almost good for anything nearer than that until you reach a 'critical distance'. You will have to aim with the 30 or 40m pin the distance will be shorter (e.g. at 5m you might will have to use the 40m pin and so on).

Oh and just bty the way... What corsshairs are you talking about<

alex
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
I think Bart means "bullseye" with "crosshairs". :) At such short distances - 5-8 metres, it's almost impossible to adjust the pins and there's no need :D Looking through the peep you can move less then a mm and it will affect the shot, so don't worry about it. As bfisher and Montalaar said adjust your pins at 20,30,40,etc. metres and you'll be ok. Slayer is a fast bow and with a good sight you can shoot at 100m which is much more fun then staying at the 5-10's.

Bart Thring
09-25-2009, 06:29 AM
thankyou all for the helpfull hints