PDA

View Full Version : Help w/noisy Martin.. Please?

jhardwy
10-06-2009, 10:53 AM
I picked up a used 07 Martin Cougar III Mag. The bow was fairly quiet when I first started shooting about a month ago. It has steadily gotten louder and louder as I've shot.
It sounds like a cross between a bass guitar and a banjo when fired. I have removed every accs and either replaced, upgraded, and/or tightened.
I have loc-tited (blue) everything I could find that could possibly back out. Per other discussions, I've banged the bow every way possible and listened for loose or worn parts.
I've shortened, and lengthened draw, I've adjusted my form, I've changed releases (3X), I've tried lighter & heavier arrows, I've used leeches, whiskers, felt, puff bals, etc, to no avail.
I have inspected the limbs and riser with a magnifying glass. I installed a limbsavers SST (attaches on front of riser, no provision in rear) and adjusted, removed, turned, etc, etc.. Changed, added, removed stabilizers.
Inspected and waxed cables & string. Lubed cams and rollers.. installed teflon cable guide.. Loop, servings, etc all in servicable condition..
Added, changed, moved, removed dampning devices everywhere on the limbs, riser, accs..
Checked and re-checked tune, tiller, etc..
Went to my local pro shop and fired for them, no suggestions.
Everything I've read about these bows says they are supposed to be quiet. I've exhausted all of my options. Any help is appreciated
As a side note, the bow shoots great. Holding great groups (literally 3"-4") at20yrd - 45yrd

07 Martin Cougar III Mag
60 lbs
30" draw
6" brace
hha opt lite
true ball stinger release
quik tune rest, 2 prong tension (low end model)
NAP hyd stabilizer
Easton excel carbon, 400 spine, 8.1 gr, 100 gr field & 3 blade thunderheads w/4" feather & 5" feather

Single Cam
Solid Limb
310 fps
A to A = 36.88
Mass = 4.1

Coop
10-06-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm no expert on this... but, have you tried putting whiskers on your cable stings, just a thought?

Good luck,
Coop

jhardwy
10-06-2009, 12:49 PM
:(I've used leeches, whiskers, felt, puff bals, etc, to no avail.

brushrat
10-06-2009, 12:57 PM
I picked up a used 07 Martin Cougar III Mag. The bow was fairly quiet when I first started shooting about a month ago. It has steadily gotten louder and louder as I've shot.
It sounds like a cross between a bass guitar and a banjo when fired. I have removed every accs and either replaced, upgraded, and/or tightened.
I have loc-tited (blue) everything I could find that could possibly back out. Per other discussions, I've banged the bow every way possible and listened for loose or worn parts.
I've shortened, and lengthened draw, I've adjusted my form, I've changed releases (3X), I've tried lighter & heavier arrows, I've used leeches, whiskers, felt, puff bals, etc, to no avail.
I have inspected the limbs and riser with a magnifying glass. I installed a limbsavers SST (attaches on front of riser, no provision in rear) and adjusted, removed, turned, etc, etc.. Changed, added, removed stabilizers.
Inspected and waxed cables & string. Lubed cams and rollers.. installed teflon cable guide.. Loop, servings, etc all in servicable condition..
Added, changed, moved, removed dampning devices everywhere on the limbs, riser, accs..
Checked and re-checked tune, tiller, etc..
Went to my local pro shop and fired for them, no suggestions.
Everything I've read about these bows says they are supposed to be quiet. I've exhausted all of my options. Any help is appreciated
As a side note, the bow shoots great. Holding great groups (literally 3"-4") at20yrd - 45yrd

07 Martin Cougar III Mag
60 lbs
30" draw
6" brace
hha opt lite
true ball stinger release
quik tune rest, 2 prong tension (low end model)
NAP hyd stabilizer
Easton excel carbon, 400 spine, 8.1 gr, 100 gr field & 3 blade thunderheads w/4" feather & 5" feather

Single Cam
Solid Limb
310 fps
A to A = 36.88
Mass = 4.1

sounds like you've done about everything that i would have tryed. Since youv'e covered all the most likely areas ,i'm just going to throw these things out there,just for something else to try. SST's dont help noise that much, but with a 6" brace ht. i would leave it on for sure. It sounds to me like it is still comming from the string. If you ditch the string leeches and or jacks and install Whiskers it WILL make the string quieter. If you shoot heavier arrows the limbs and the string WILL be quieter. Also ,you never really said but sometimes the the quiver can be a source of noise and /or the arrow shafts inside the quiver when the shot is made. Hope you find the noise before the deer does. Maybe someone else has some other ideas. Good luck:)

jhardwy
10-06-2009, 01:56 PM
Good name for a band, huh?

No I haven't been practicing with a quiver mounted. Way too noisy..

Tried about every string silencer on the market. Whiskers did make the most difference. I just ordered a set of Wildman Speed Lizards. Probably won't help, but the only thing I haven't tried so far.

No way I'm going to woods with the "twang" this thing has. But; I sure would like to get it figured out so I can go huntin'

Thanks

Spiker
10-06-2009, 02:17 PM
Have you actually taken the bow apart?
I would look very close at the e-clips on the axles and at the control cable to make sure they arnt close enough to something to be 'buzzing' off it when you shoot. Especially the yoke. Usually if it is the string or cable making the noise you can pluck them and hear it. If you have a way to hold the bow at full draw I would try plucking them then. (You can anchor the bow and use a ratchet strap) Also if the cam/idler spacers have any side play in them they can 'buzz'. Since its a single cam - have you made sure that there isnt any idler lean at full draw. Could be the string or cable snapping back into the track. Have you let someone else shoot it while you stood back a bit and listened to it? And you did put silencers on the cable as well as string-yes?

Also - it would be a good name for a bar or a bow shop...:cool:

brushrat
10-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Have you actually taken the bow apart?
I would look very close at the e-clips on the axles and at the control cable to make sure they arnt close enough to something to be 'buzzing' off it when you shoot. Especially the yoke. Usually if it is the string or cable making the noise you can pluck them and hear it. If you have a way to hold the bow at full draw I would try plucking them then. (You can anchor the bow and use a ratchet strap) Also if the cam/idler spacers have any side play in them they can 'buzz'. Since its a single cam - have you made sure that there isnt any idler lean at full draw. Could be the string or cable snapping back into the track. Have you let someone else shoot it while you stood back a bit and listened to it? And you did put silencers on the cable as well as string-yes?

Also - it would be a good name for a bar or a bow shop...:cool:

yes, quite often whiskers on the cable make a differance, even those leeches or jax's you took off the string placed on the cable would be better than nothing. :)

Montalaar
10-07-2009, 12:23 AM
In fact it is not important if your bow is a tad louder or not. Remember the bows 10 years ago. THere where no silencing devices and they were really loud. But also in this time many deers have been killed.

With a louder bow the speed might be more important but a deer will not react any faster if the bow is a bit louder. The sound will also not reach the deer any faster.
The only thing that legitimates your concerns is that it does feel better if your bow is not as load as it is now.

jhardwy
10-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Did not put silencers on the cables.. I'll try that..

I haven't disassembled the bow, that was the next step.. Idler lean makes sense.

I'm going to take it to a Martin tech as soon as I can. I'll have the spacers, e-clips, etc all checked or replaced.

I'll likely change out the string and cables while I'm at it to eliminate that as a suspect.

Thank you all for the help..

davydtune
10-07-2009, 08:42 AM
Make sure the cam orientation is right.

Spiker
10-07-2009, 08:54 AM
You dont have to take it apart to check/adjust idler lean. Lay an arrow flat on the idler (preferably at full draw) and see if it is parallel to the string. Then twist which ever side of the yoke up to make it straight. Ya need to do this to tune a single cam bow anyway.

bowgramp59
10-07-2009, 05:53 PM
if it is as you said getting worse all the time, you may want to check for a cracked limb.

jhardwy
10-09-2009, 08:22 AM
I really appreciate everyone's input..
Took the bow to Fin, Feather & Fur in Ashland, OH:) last night. Their tech(s) went over the bow with a fine tooth comb..
It was a combination of; rest, stabilizer, and tune.
What a great group of folks..

Thanks again...