PDA

View Full Version : OUCH, my cable slide disintegrated at full draw

otiswinkerbean
10-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Is this something to be expected, I saw no sign of wear, heard no noise, felt no drag, NO DAMAGE to my cables. ROUGH BLOWN UP JAGGED EDGE PLASTIC is whats left, lost my upper string leach, dropped off of the top idler pulley, arrow was at my feet when I finally went looking for it. SOUNDED LIKE A GUNSHOT in my hands, nasty right arm BITE.

Am I screwed or should I end up OK?

I've ordered up a SIMS cable slide, loosened up my limb bolts to put cable back on pulley, thats when I noticed the missing string leach.

Tomorrow I will replace the leach and wait for a new slide AND PRAY that the limbs have not been damaged. ???

Less than 1000 shots on a 2007 Cheetah at 70lbs. maxed tight.

alex
10-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Sounds to me like a dryshot. You'd better check your arrow- may be the nock is not good.I doubt it that a broken cable slide can cause such damage even if you've shot after it was broken.

Montalaar
10-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Again i have to agree with Alex.

You can shoot a bow with or without a cable slide. There is no difference. I wonder how that could have happened. The cable slide could have been damaged as the loads of energy had to go anywhere of your arrow was nocked onto the string.

That could explain the nasty sound and string bite and all the other damage to your bow and the arrow lying beside you.

You can check everything yourself, e.g. if the axles are bend or not. I would recommend you to go to the shop where you bought the bow and have it checked. If everything looks right you can go on and shoot it.

Skbengal
10-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Otis.How heavy are your arrows?They need to be a minimum of 5gr per lb of draw weight.I was sold some that were too light and the first thing that went wrong was the cable slide blew apart at full draw.Hope it helps.

otiswinkerbean
10-07-2009, 07:11 PM
XX78 2315 @ 30.5" w/ 5" Easton Original DuraVanes (3), bushing nock, nock, 125 grain field tip, screw tip insert.

Disentegration actually occurred as I pulled the trigger, FROM full draw as I was just begining to sight in my new Toxonics sight at thirty yards.

At the moment, all of my arrows are longer than needed and I plan on cutting them down to say 28.5" when it's time for a significant re-fletch operation.

I plan on installing 2" QuickSpin ST Hunter Vanes this next go round.

My current practice quiver holds 12, XX78 2315 as described above, 6, XX78 2514 (30.5") and 10 XX75 2419 (31.5") all with 125 grain field tips and screw in inserts.

I checked them this evening and no nock damege was observed. The limbs also appeared undamaged and the top pulley tracks smoothly when rotated without the string. ALTHOUGH it does not spin super freely it does not appear bent or damaged.

I figure the first / NEXT shot will tell the tale.

Montalaar
10-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Sounds like the arrow had the wrong spine. It bended too much so that it resulted in a dryfire... Just another possibility.

alex
10-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I would suggest to put some eye protection when shooting the bow next time and may be lower the DW.Just the first 5-6 shots.

elkslayer4x5
10-08-2009, 09:07 AM
Otis, heres the easton arrow selector
http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection
I don't really know what your cam (s) is rated as, hard or soft, but when I run your numbers under a hard cam, your 2514's and 2419 are spined for 70-75 lbs at their current length, your 2315 will be after you cut them down to 28". You could cut your 2419's down to match the 2514's but the 2419 are heavier at 14.6 grains per inch as compared to the 2514's 11.3 gr per in. I'd go with your 2419's for now, until you're ready to cut dowm the 2315's.As to why your cable slide blew up, I have no clue other than which arrow was laying at your feet, if it was a 2315, it was too light, either of the other two would be ok.