PDA

View Full Version : Martin Jaguar Take down questions

Newbwithabow
10-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to archery and this is my first bow, the Martin Jaguar Take Down Recurve 45#. I just got it this evening from a local bow shop near where I live.

When I bought the bow it was already out of the box and assembled and that's the way I purchase it, also it didn't come with a manual. They put one of there own strings on it and nocked it for me. Being new to archery I was wondering if there's anything I should know about caring for my new bow, also in the future I'll be doing most of my purchases online and the only thing I could think that would need replacing regularly would be the string. What length/size string would I need to get to replace the string I have now after it wears out?

Thank you.

Spiker
10-09-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi all,

I'm new to archery and this is my first bow, the Martin Jaguar Take Down Recurve 45#. I just got it this evening from a local bow shop near where I live.

When I bought the bow it was already out of the box and assembled and that's the way I purchase it, also it didn't come with a manual. They put one of there own strings on it and nocked it for me. Being new to archery I was wondering if there's anything I should know about caring for my new bow, also in the future I'll be doing most of my purchases online and the only thing I could think that would need replacing regularly would be the string. What length/size string would I need to get to replace the string I have now after it wears out?

Thank you.

Here is a link to the manual you can download.
http://www.martinarchery.com/manuals/TraditionalManual2008.pdf
It uses a 60"amo string and your brace height needs to be 7"-7 1/2".

Newbwithabow
10-10-2009, 12:40 AM
Thank you Spiker

missedshot
10-13-2009, 09:02 AM
Mine arrived last week, boxed with a general set of directions and all the parts needed to shoot the bow with the exception of a nock, and some would say that is not needed.As I said the directions were very general and not model specific. The only problem I had with assembly was the limb pockets of the riser had some casting flash and extra paint/dip that I sanded away with some emery cloth so the limbs would fit. The limbs could have been forced into place but I didn't want to mar the finish on them. Total assembly to shoot time was about 30 minutes including the sanding.I am very pleased with this purchase and am in the process of purchasing a set of 40# limbs for this bow. My family has been using Martin products for many years(since the late 70's).I would also add that my riser had a tag that clearly states MADE IN THE USA, whether or not the limbs were made here I could not say.The finish on my riser is not as tough as that of my '83 Cougar and the limbs have a low-gloss sheen that is not very thick, but as I said I am very well pleased with Martin again.

Newbwithabow
10-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Thank you Missedshot.

It's good to know that the manual I didn't get was not a big deal. I've only been able to shoot my new Jaguar Recurve a few times, but i'm loving it very much.

Newbwithabow
10-18-2009, 01:56 AM
Any suggestions on what type of arrows I should use on my Jaguar T/D Recruve? For practice and eventually for hunting.

Thank you.

eldermike
10-19-2009, 07:26 AM
I shoot 45-50 port oxford cedar arrows in mine.

jbrad2
10-25-2009, 03:47 PM
The Easton Company has a great chart on which arrows are right for which type of bow you have. And they have great arrows. Their website is www.eastonarchery.com

Newbwithabow
10-26-2009, 01:23 AM
The Easton Company has a great chart on which arrows are right for which type of bow you have. And they have great arrows. Their website is www.eastonarchery.com

Wow this is awesome. Thanks jbrad2. I found a program on the site that lets you just enter you bow specs and it shows you what arrows will work for you. Super easy, I like easy.

eldermike
10-26-2009, 03:54 PM
1916 legacy easton arrows are great for that bow. They are left wing feather fletched and fly great.

The charts perfer a stiffer spine that you really need. If you choose 2016's they will shoot ok but you need to leave them longer, perhaps 30 inches. As you learn more you will encounter a term called dynamic spine. Spine charts are static spine based. But since you are new don't worry about it just get with some people that have been at this a while and they will school you.

But if you draw 27-28 inches with 45 lbs bow, Aluminum 1916's cut to 29 inches with 125-145 gain point will fly like darts from your bow.

Newbwithabow
10-29-2009, 12:02 AM
1916 legacy easton arrows are great for that bow. They are left wing feather fletched and fly great.

The charts perfer a stiffer spine that you really need. If you choose 2016's they will shoot ok but you need to leave them longer, perhaps 30 inches. As you learn more you will encounter a term called dynamic spine. Spine charts are static spine based. But since you are new don't worry about it just get with some people that have been at this a while and they will school you.

But if you draw 27-28 inches with 45 lbs bow, Aluminum 1916's cut to 29 inches with 125-145 gain point will fly like darts from your bow.

Thanks eldermike,

I'll be sure to get some 1916's to try. My draw length is about 27" so the 1916's at 29 is what I'll get. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that shoots so most of my learning will be from all you folks here, and other info I can find on the internet. You'll laugh but i practice shooting from inside my house to a target at the end of my back yard, around 30 yards. I open the sliding back door and instance archery range LOL.

eldermike
10-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Hey, come on over to Archery talk and find the traditional forum. There you will find a ton of help. I am a regular there myself. Archerytalk.com

oldbutnewagain
10-29-2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for kicking it off, newb

Newbwithabow
10-29-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey, come on over to Archery talk and find the traditional forum. There you will find a ton of help. I am a regular there myself. Archerytalk.com

Thanks eldermike. I just registered over at Archerytalk.com, same logon name as here. Wow with all this information I should be able to shoot straight in no time. LOL.

Newbwithabow
10-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks for kicking it off, newb

My pleasure, oldbutnewagain.

I like to learn new things and I've been wanting to learn archery for a long time now. And after seeing the Jaguar Take Down Bow, that pushed me over the edge and now I'm going full blast and I just can't get enough of archery. I thought about trying compound bows but I like being able to work on things on my own as much as I can, but compounds seems very high maintenance where the traditional bows seem more down to earth. I want to learn as much as I can, like making my own strings and even maybe trying to make my own wooden arrows. This is so much fun, learning new things.