PDA

View Full Version : spline alignment

Sagittarius
10-20-2009, 03:34 PM
All of you out there that fletch your own arrows I was wondering if you set the stiffest spline of your arrows to your fletchings ???? If so do you put it up, down, away, or towards your riser ???? Or am I the only person who does this ??? Maybe I'm wasting my time ????

bfisher
10-20-2009, 06:41 PM
I've never done it, but sometimes think I should. Now that I've gone back to my ACC's it's a moot point.

I might add that arrows don't have a spline. It's spine. Just so somebody on another forum doesn't rip you up about it.

Sagittarius
10-21-2009, 04:51 PM
why is it a moot point with the ACC do they have a consistent SPINE over the entire arrow ??

A spline on a fishing rod is the stiffest part of the rod so the try to put it up... Sorry for the mistake !!! I'm old and get confused... ALZHIEMERS !!!!

bigbob
10-22-2009, 01:40 AM
Here's my few cents worth. Carbons all have spine as do fishing rods, and for release shooters spine should be up, and for dinosaurs like me who are finger shooters then one should put spine opposite side to berger or plunger button. This can be a cause for loose grouping .

bfisher
10-22-2009, 09:22 AM
why is it a moot point with the ACC do they have a consistent SPINE over the entire arrow ??

A spline on a fishing rod is the stiffest part of the rod so the try to put it up... Sorry for the mistake !!! I'm old and get confused... ALZHIEMERS !!!!

It's more a matter of having a consistent spine around the shaft. Many carbons, being wrapped around a mandrel, have slightly varying spines as the shaft is rotated on a spine tester. Such is not the case with ACC's as they have at least one layer that runs parallel the length of the shaft.

Do some real checking and see which arrow manufacturers state what their spine deviation is---very few if any. I have an Easton tech manual on ACC's that states that the spine deviation is .005" max. Most will tell you the least important features such as straightness and weight. Spine consistency is the most important.

brushrat
10-22-2009, 10:40 AM
All of you out there that fletch your own arrows I was wondering if you set the stiffest spline of your arrows to your fletchings ???? If so do you put it up, down, away, or towards your riser ???? Or am I the only person who does this ??? Maybe I'm wasting my time ????

I don't think you are wasting your time at all, assuming we are talking carbon arrows. I've always tryed to do it. Sometimes it's hard to find on some of these newer arrows. When i do find the spine i mark it on the shaft and thats where the cock feather goes. Since i shoot release the stiff side would be up.

We could rev up the conversation a bit by asking should the stiffest part of the spine be at the top of the arrow or the bottom if you shoot with a release?:D

bfisher
10-22-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't think you are wasting your time at all, assuming we are talking carbon arrows. I've always tryed to do it. Sometimes it's hard to find on some of these newer arrows. When i do find the spine i mark it on the shaft and thats where the cock feather goes. Since i shoot release the stiff side would be up.

We could rev up the conversation a bit by asking should the stiffest part of the spine be at the top of the arrow or the bottom if you shoot with a release?:D

Well, being as you ask here's my theory. I don't think it matters where the stiff side is located. Just so all the stiff side is pointed the same way. Afterall, consistency is the key and the bow is tuned accordingly.

brushrat
10-22-2009, 02:27 PM
Well, being as you ask here's my theory. I don't think it matters where the stiff side is located. Just so all the stiff side is pointed the same way. Afterall, consistency is the key and the bow is tuned accordingly.

i also agree absolutely that consistency is key. My reasoning for the stiff side is that using a release your launching forces are generally considered to be up and down, but yea , either way your tuned bow should average all that out.

Sagittarius
10-22-2009, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the help !!! I assumed that up was probably the best but just needed to confirm it. I figure on my NAP 360 rest the top is the best place for it to flex cause that is were its open.. I mark my arows the same way but now that i've checked and marked them wonder if I do it right ??? I put about a 1lb. wieght on the arm and spin it till it gets the stiffest. I think the stiffest side would then be down??? Because tensil strength is the strongest. So the bottom would actually be the strongest side ??? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

brushrat
10-22-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the help !!! I assumed that up was probably the best but just needed to confirm it. I figure on my NAP 360 rest the top is the best place for it to flex cause that is were its open.. I mark my arows the same way but now that i've checked and marked them wonder if I do it right ??? I put about a 1lb. wieght on the arm and spin it till it gets the stiffest. I think the stiffest side would then be down??? Because tensil strength is the strongest. So the bottom would actually be the strongest side ??? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

i agree with your logic since your arrow is supported through the whole shot cycle with your style rest . I use a drop away rest that supports the arrow part way so i just arbitrarily chose the stiff side up. I don't think the average archer is even aware that there is a stiffer side on carbon arrows.

I believe bare shaft tuning would be more effective if the bare shaft spine was identified and all your other arrows were indexed to it. Especially your broadhead arrows where every little bit helps..............:)

Sagittarius
10-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Thanx for your help gentlemen......