PDA

View Full Version : Martin Saber - How Fast To Expect ?

JohnnyThunder
10-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I've been shooting my Martin Saber every day at an indoor archery range either at lunchtime or after work. They have this thing that you shoot the arrow through and it measures how fast (fps) your arrow is going.

My arrow is going 218-219 fps.

Now on Martin's website it says something like 315-320 fps for the Martin Saber. I realize thats for a 70# bow though.

My bow is 60#s, currently let down to about #53 so I can shoot a lot.

I was just wondering how fast is it reasonable to expect my bow to go ?

I hope to work my way up to shooting it at the full 60# by the start of the next deer season. I'm strength challenged and of slim build so its difficult for me to pull too much, I can pull one of my other bows thats set at 64# but I can only shoot it a few times before my arm and shoulder hurt too much.

Spiker
10-21-2009, 01:17 PM
Plug your numbers into this = http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html#

It will be pretty close.

alex
10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Let me ask you which is more important for you -your health or your bow's speed? ;)

JohnnyThunder
10-21-2009, 01:34 PM
well my health obviously, but I don't see why I can work my way up to the whole 60#s if I go at it slowly and consistently over a long period of time like the next year

JohnnyThunder
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
Plug your numbers into this = http://utopiaprogramming.com/ke/KineticEnergy.html#

It will be pretty close.

Thank you, but that website doesn't work for me. Perhaps because I'm at work right now or something -- I will try it later when I get home.

Thanks!

alex
10-21-2009, 01:51 PM
well my health obviously, but I don't see why I can work my way up to the whole 60#s if I go at it slowly and consistently over a long period of time like the next year

Of course you can, but the higher poundage the higher trauma risk. I'm not a hunter and my targets can't make the difference between 230 and 320fps. As far as i know speed is important for 3-D shooting, but i believe form and skills are more important.With this i don't mean you mustn't go to 60#, just mean be careful. Bowshooting is fun for 99% of the archers not chasing world records so we must not risk our health ... at least that's my opinion :)

JohnnyThunder
10-21-2009, 02:20 PM
oh I will be careful, thats why I intend to work my way up slowly over a long period

I'm thinking I will be back up to the full 60 soon and then I will shoot at 60 for practice for a year and if I can manage to kill a deer this season or maybe a pig in the spring then I will get a 70 to reward myself and use it for hunting and just keep shooting the 60 for practice and fun.

Because I can pull a 70 and hold it and shoot it, its just that I can't go and shoot 40-50 shots for practice at lunch time and then again after work without a bottle of ibuprofen and a tube of ben-gay.

Spiker
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
Thank you, but that website doesn't work for me. Perhaps because I'm at work right now or something -- I will try it later when I get home.

Thanks!

If you post your info I will run it for you.
Need arrow weight and draw length.

Spiker
10-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Sorry - and what you have on your string.

JohnnyThunder
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm at home now, so I'm trying to work it.

How do I know how many grains my arrow is ? I don't know how many grains the vanes, knock, etc.. are either.

overdraw
10-21-2009, 09:38 PM
For hunting @53# you can take a deer. Find a comfortable weight you can pull. I have drawn back and let down on deer a few times waiting for a good shot. Try shooting in your hunting clothes and i always try to pull straight back. some guys i hunted with had their bows cranked up to where they had to struggle to get it back. they moved so much they would get busted. hope this helps

Ray from Auburn
10-23-2009, 02:05 AM
I'm new to the bowhunting thing, but I'll toss in my two cents. I have a 09 Bengal with a peak of 50#. I shoot two weights of arrows. 1 is carbon express maxima 250s (30 inches) and the other is the carbon express terminator 4560 (30 inches) that Wal-Mart sells. My draw length is 28.5 on the Bengal. The cx max 250s weigh around 360gr and I shoot them at 226fps and the term 4560 at 222 fps (don't know weight but it's a heavier arrow). I also have some camo terminator 4560 and they go at 218 fps. My mission eliminator will do 243 (maxima 250) and 239 for the 4560s. It also is at 28.5 but at 55#s. I'm very happy with the speed I get, but my top concern will always be placement for a quick kill. Keep the weight at what you're comfortable with, it's a lot more fun. Remember 200fps was considered very fast not long ago. PS, the guy who sold me my bow, shoots at 40#. Hope this helps