PDA

View Full Version : 0.19 pins or 0.29 pins???

Snohunt
10-24-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey, does anyone know what size pins I need? I ordered a saber package set and it came with 3 pin apex sight. I would like to add a few more pins.. but I do not know the size?

Can someone tell me how to measure the pins or what size to order?

elkslayer4x5
10-25-2009, 07:13 AM
Well, if I was a multi-pin guy, I'd go the the 0.19s pins as they will cover less of your target on the longer shots. Just my opinion, for whatever its worth.

bfisher
10-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Those of us who have been around a while can tell at a glance which is which.

You could measure the ones you have with a micrometer or dial calipers. Just a guess, but I'd think the sight came with .029" pins. As mentioned, if you're thinking of adding pins I'd get .019 pins and set them for longer distances like 50 and 60 yards. Frankly you could sight in the third pin for forty yards. In this case I'd replace it with a .019" pin, too.

The smaller pins would be harder to see in dim light, but when it gets this dark you probably won't, or shouldn't be shooting that far anyway. For 20 and 30 yards a .029" pin works pretty well unless you're aiming really at a small target and/or need more precise aiming.

I would set the first pin for 20 yards. There isn't that much difference between 10 and 20 yards for sighting purposes. Set the second one for 30. The third for 40 yards.

Don't go in 5 yard increments. It just clutters up the sight picture and gives you more of a chance to pick the wrong pin when aiming.

Snohunt
10-25-2009, 07:05 PM
Thanks bfisher...I think I will stick with the 3 pin set for now and just change it to 20 30 and 40 yards..

However what is the danger of making the 1st pin a 20 yard increment?.. any chance shooting over the target? Also.. how many real 50-60 yard shots have people made and how really necessary is it to be sighted out to that distance as oppossed to 40 as you suggested?

Thanks!

alex
10-26-2009, 01:16 AM
Well, people like me make 50-60 yards shots :D I'm not very interested in sniper accurate shots from short ranges (am not a hunter and can't participate in 3-D's), but really like long range shots :) .I also have the 3 pin factory sight and added 3 more Tru-glo pins and set them from 20 to 70 metres. But if you'll use your bow for hunting the 20,30 and 40 yards are enough.
P.S. If you shoot from less then 20 yards just aim a little lower-can't say how lower, because it depends from your bow. :)

bfisher
10-26-2009, 08:52 AM
Thanks bfisher...I think I will stick with the 3 pin set for now and just change it to 20 30 and 40 yards..

However what is the danger of making the 1st pin a 20 yard increment?.. any chance shooting over the target? Also.. how many real 50-60 yard shots have people made and how really necessary is it to be sighted out to that distance as oppossed to 40 as you suggested?

Thanks!

A lot of us practice and shoot some form of target archery where longer shots are fairly normal. For hunting most game the longest you would ever encounter might be 40 yards--maybe out west where shots tend to be longer. For most eastern hardwoods deer hunting you're rarely ever going to see more than 35 yards and 99% of your shots are going to be under 25 yards. I might even say 20 yards.

This being said, if I were setting up a bow for hunting only I would, and have, set a single pin for 25 yards. Sighted in for 25 you'll shoot about 2" high at 18 (the high point) and about 3" low at 30 yards. With a midbody hold you should be well within the vitals of any deer anywhere out to 30 yards. This is with a speed of around 260 fps. A faster bow would flatten this out a little, but not that much. This has an added advantage of helping with yardage estimation. The only thing you have to concern yourself with is "Is the animal within 30 yards?" If so then make your best shot. Only one pin to look at so you can't pick the wrong one.

Of course this is only one option. You could concievably set two pins for something like 15 yards and 25 yards. It all boils down to your personal choice and knowing your abilities.

In either case the best thing to do is set your bow up both ways and shoot it to see how it performs.

The problem with too many pins on a hunting setup is that with faster bows, the pins are close together making gap shooting harder. Too many pins in the sight picture. Pick the srong pin and you miss---or worse----wound an animal. This all come under the heading of KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid).

Don't know what kind of shooting you'll be doing but you could buy an identical sight and set one up with one or two pins for hunting and the other with 3 to 5 pins for practicing and 3D shooting. Just swap one for the other when hunting season arrives.

Snohunt
10-26-2009, 02:59 PM
Thanks b-fisher.. I am going to keep the 3 pin set and do some practice and adjustment from 10-40 yards.. conceivably though.. with a 60# saber bow and a 300 grain arrow with a 100 grain broad head... with the 1st pin at 20 yards, wouldn't I be about 3-4 inches high when shooting at 10 yard target using the 20 yard pin?

This bow will only be used for hunting..

Jake-the-snake
10-26-2009, 05:34 PM
i would say you would be more like 1-2" high at ten yards with a 20 yard pin, and if its for hunting whats the difference?

JohnnyThunder
10-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Thanks!

If it helps anything, I have my sights set at 20, 25, 30, and 35 yards. If I shoot from say 10-15 yards its practically the same as the 20 yard shot, perhaps a touch higher but not so high that someone who can't shoot any better than me would notice anyway. I only have 4 pins, and a 35 yard shot is about the maximum distance I can make consistent good shots anyway. I figure if I'm lucky enough to get a 10-15 yard shot at that distance an inch high is going to be good enough, I'm going to be off by an inch at 20-25 yards anyway.

Of course I should warn you I'm just a beginner myself, so I really have no idea if that is the best advice or not.

JohnnyThunder
10-26-2009, 06:46 PM
oh yeah... and to address the original question about .19 vs .29 pins, I notice that some of the more top end sights from various manufacturers use both sizes and use the bigger pins on top and smaller ones on the bottom.

If you have the bigger pins, might think about getting some of the smaller pins and adding them on the bottom for the longer shots.

As long as the pins are nice and bright, I would just get the smaller pins.

bfisher
10-27-2009, 08:50 AM
Jake and Johnny covered it very nicely.

I've done all this testing for my own education. I would suggest you just set a pin for 25 yards and begin shooting from 5 yards out to 30 with it and find out for yourself. If you're like me you'll find everything within the realm of hunting distances can be handled with that setting.

Of course you should also set up your pins for maybe 20, 30, and 40 and see how this works. Then pick your poison.

This is just one of those things you have to find out for yourself. Then you'll remember and be able to answer some newbie's question about it someday.

Snohunt
10-27-2009, 09:48 AM
Thanks everyone.. I appreciate it.