PDA

View Full Version : Something not lining up?

flytier17
10-26-2009, 07:50 AM
Should my limb pockets and mt limb tips all be centered? I laid my Slayer on the kitchen counter the other day. Both limb tips rested evenly on the counter. I have Sims Limb Pocket Savers on my limb bolts, and only 1 touched the counter. The other was 3/8" in the air. No other part of the bow or accessory was touching the counter, and the bow was resting entirely on the 2 tips and one Limb pocket saver. I have no cam lean at all. Assuming my Sims Limb Pocket Savers are perfectly round, this means something is out of line. If the limb pockets are centered on the riser, and are symmetrical, and the limbs are centered in the pockets and the axle tips are symmetrical, all 4 points should touch evenly, no?

I am going to remove the Sims Limb Pocket Savers today, and check with them off.

Has anyone else seen this before, or know if this is in fact an intentional design?

Alec

bfisher
10-26-2009, 08:59 AM
I used to check limb pocket alignment as follows:

Lay the bow down on one side. Use two arrows (straight ones) and lay them along the side of the limb pockets with the points pointed toward the center of the bow, converging out front. Now see if the points come together. This will tell you if the pockets are in line with the riser. 1/4" or so difference is no big deal.

flytier17
10-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Did that. The bottom pocket didn't line up.

I put it in a bow vise, and stood back to line the string up with the riser. I spent a long while carefully measuring and levelling the bow. The only conclusion i have reached is a twisted riser. The bottom half below the grip is twisted. The limb is on a slight angle as a result, and the cam is too.

I am really dissapointed now. This is hands down the best bow i have ever shot. I have never had a bow that felt so good to shoot for me or fit me as well as this one does. Even if Martin will do something about this with warrenty, they can't replace it with another as they are no longer made. I am really discouraged right now. The Slayer setup is the only one I have put the time and money into getting completely setup with the best equipment and tuned. All my other sutups are only halfway there, with a lot more to buy for each that i cannot afford right now. Now, my only good setup and my best bow may be Kaput too.

Alec

bfisher
10-30-2009, 09:30 AM
Use a dial caliper and measure both ends of the limb pocket to the riser. Maybe it's just the pocket that is drilled out of kilter. If so then they should have limb pockets,

I had this prolem with a Pearson Anaconda back in 2000. Called and talked to the head of the repair dept. Sent the bow back with a detailed letter explaining the misstep. They sent me a new bow within a week.

alex
10-30-2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your problem, Flytier. But have you shot the bow after you've seen it? Is there any differnce in its performance? If it shoots like before you can continue using it, i guess.I don't think it can break in your hands, or i'm wrong? May be you can find a cheaper used bow and take its riser? Good luck!

flytier17
10-30-2009, 01:15 PM
Use a dial caliper and measure both ends of the limb pocket to the riser. Maybe it's just the pocket that is drilled out of kilter. If so then they should have limb pockets,

I had this prolem with a Pearson Anaconda back in 2000. Called and talked to the head of the repair dept. Sent the bow back with a detailed letter explaining the misstep. They sent me a new bow within a week.

Its definetly the riser. If I put it in a bow vise, and line the string up with the riser, it is centered on the top limb pocket, the top riser, and the grip. however, the lower part of the riser curves left gradually, so it is 1/8" - 1/4" out of alignment by the string pocket. I can see a distinct curve in the riser when compared to the string.

I have no doubt martin will either fix or replace the bow for me. Already spoke to them on that. However, if it comes to replacement, which it most probably will, I'll never get another Slayer. I'd have to settle for something else.

I've shot it, and it groups OK, but the centershot was off. I tried to do a centershot tune, but it is not in a compromise position. Instead of being perfectly centered like it should be, it is now shifted to compensate for the lower cam being out of line. I'm also getting a small amount of fishtailing that won't tune out no matter what, so the shifted lower limb is definetly causing side-to-side nock travel.

Alec