PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Harness in competition

jbrad2
10-30-2009, 08:10 PM
I watch competition shooting and I see everyone wearing some sort of shoulder harness. It doesn't seem to do anything so I can't seem to figure out what it's for. Can anyone tell me about it and why I can't seem to find it from any archery vendor?
Nevermind. I found out what they are and what they do. It figures I would find out right after I post this.

oldbutnewagain
10-30-2009, 09:02 PM
Now I want to know what they are.

eldermike
11-17-2009, 10:14 AM
They keep your clothes from touching the string. Lose clothing hitting your string on release will cause a drop in velocity on the shot.

SandSquid
11-17-2009, 10:49 AM
They keep your clothes from touching the string.

http://www.texasarchery.org/eletters/chestguardhybrid.gif

More importantly, if you have exceptionally ripped upper body, or are a bit overweight, they offer a bit of protection for your "ManB00b" if you happen to incorrectly draw and get your string on the wrong side of it....

For any female it's just a darned good idea.

Trust me it HURTS like Hades!!! And it can cause very serious permanent damage regardless of your gender.

I would not play lacross or hockey without a cup, I'm not shooting a bow without a chest protector!

eldermike
11-17-2009, 12:26 PM
Sandsquid, good points!

I tend to face the target about 3/4 position and use canting so I forget you guys that shoot that 90 degree stuff. Ouch!

SandSquid
11-17-2009, 02:52 PM
I tend to face the target about 3/4 position and use canting so I forget you guys that shoot that 90 degree stuff.

I'm not quite back to 90 yet, but I'm working on it. A little bit better every day... 3 months ago I could not even draw a 20# Genesis, yesterday I shot a full 300 round w/ my 45# P3

Ouch

One of the boys in my youth group got himself stuck in his string. The howl of pain he let out would have made you think he had swallowed molten lava. He was black&blue for over a week. He's since started shooting much more carefully and even lost about 10# of his "X-Box Pudge".

We keep bags of frozen peas in the freezer just for these injuries and for the kids that "forget" to wear an armguard and get slapped.

D.haurn
11-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Does anyone out there have any experience or suggestions on a shoulder harness STC for a C170?

Compounded
09-28-2010, 05:56 AM
These chest guards, like others have already said, serve to protect. However, they also can play a role in maintaining the archer's shoulder posture. They give the archer tactile feed-back if their shoulder is too elevated, or depressed. One of the major issues in archery is having good shoulder symmetry to help provide a stable frame so to speak from which to launch your arrow. Having good posture is fairly crucial to excelling in this sport (LIFE), and does help to decrease the occurrence of overuse injuries such as impingements and muscle tightness.