PDA

View Full Version : sharp edge on upper grip area

brushrat
11-01-2009, 10:09 AM
I've had 2 bengal bows that have the same problem. Has anyone else ran accross this? it has a tendency to make your hand sore between the thumb and forefinger. I was wondering if the radious edge of the grip in that area extends higher on some bows than on others? Has anyone had this problem? would it hurt anything if one were to use a dremel to smooth up that area? anyone experienced this? I'm not complaining ,just looking for creative ways of smoothing out that top edge of the grip area. thanks:)

Montalaar
11-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Left hand or right hand bow?

The bengal of an ex-friend of mine has this same edge. I think it would not hurt to remove it with a dremel if you can life with the missing finish on that area.

alex
11-01-2009, 12:47 PM
The same with my MOAB, but i just don't usually shoot so much in one day to hurt my hand.You'd better glue something on it (like foam or rubber) to soften instead of using a dremel.

brushrat
11-01-2009, 07:40 PM
Left hand or right hand bow?

The bengal of an ex-friend of mine has this same edge. I think it would not hurt to remove it with a dremel if you can life with the missing finish on that area.

it is a righty.

i shot my old bow so much it actually wore the camo finish off of that spot anyway. As a matter of fact i actually wore the metal down till it was fairly smooth without doing anything but just shooting it. Don't know if i want to be annoyed by it for that long though with this bow, without doing something.;) They sell those aftermarket plastic contoured grips for that "other" brand bow. Does anyone know if they are available for martin bows? If i could come up with something like that i wouldn't have to do any grinding. :confused:

Montalaar
11-02-2009, 02:40 AM
Yeah, there are Martin aftermarket grips but i do not know if they will fit around this sharp edge.

elkslayer4x5
11-02-2009, 08:02 AM
I've had the same trouble on my 06 Slayers, right where the base of my thumb wraped around the grip area, most likely because I have large hands, but my solution was to as you said, get the dremel out, and grind down the sharp egde. My bows are like your's, sorta shiney around the grip, and since I'm holding it when that shine could be trouble ( hunting ) I did'nt think that it would spook any game, and it has'nt, but if worried, Krylon makes camo flavered paint to touch it up with. I was'nt concerned about damaging resale value as mine are older bows, that I don't plan on selling off. It did'nt take much grinding to remove that annoying ridge.

madlaz
11-02-2009, 08:22 AM
Limbsaver makes a rubber strip that glues on will fix that problem

brushrat
11-02-2009, 08:30 AM
I've had the same trouble on my 06 Slayers, right where the base of my thumb wraped around the grip area, most likely because I have large hands, but my solution was to as you said, get the dremel out, and grind down the sharp egde. My bows are like your's, sorta shiney around the grip, and since I'm holding it when that shine could be trouble ( hunting ) I did'nt think that it would spook any game, and it has'nt, but if worried, Krylon makes camo flavered paint to touch it up with. I was'nt concerned about damaging resale value as mine are older bows, that I don't plan on selling off. It did'nt take much grinding to remove that annoying ridge.

yea,thats the spot... sounds like some of the slayers had this same issue then it's not just a bengal thing.

Montallaar says that Martin makes a plastic grip "thingy" that may work. Mayby if i do a bad job of grinding i could buy one of those and that would hide it..............problem solved. Thanks Guys:D

bfisher
11-02-2009, 08:31 AM
Pretty innovative bunch of guys here. May hat's off to you all,

I'd say if you're planning on keeping the bow then dig out a file or the Dremmel tool and have at it. Then paint the area or use one of those rubber strips or a piece of moleskin to over the area.

Montalaar
11-02-2009, 08:46 AM
Limbsaver makes a rubber strip that glues on will fix that problem

Yeah sure, i had one of those.

It is pretty thick and it will lead to possibly more torque!

brushrat
11-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Yeah, there are Martin aftermarket grips but i do not know if they will fit around this sharp edge.

montalaar....do you remember where you seen those? I looked in martins 2010 catalogue and all i could find was their std. rubber/leather wraparounds.

On the internet i found a company that makes a one piece grip ....it is made my "schrewd" or something like that, but only appears to be made for Mathews bows:(

Montalaar
11-02-2009, 09:07 AM
You meant Shrewd grips.

I would have to search for thos grips but i will delay that. I got the flu yesterday. Not Swine flu.

alex
11-02-2009, 09:47 AM
You meant Shrewd grips.

I would have to search for thos grips but i will delay that. I got the flu yesterday. Not Swine flu.

How you know that, do you have a lab at home ;) ...Wish you quick recovery, Simon and don't worry - even if it's swine flu it's not more dangerous for a healthy young person then a ordinary one, just the God damned medias create panic :cool:

Montalaar
11-02-2009, 10:15 AM
Well... I am studying Biology at University...... ;)

alex
11-02-2009, 10:27 AM
So you really have a lab at hand :) Be healthy!

brushrat
11-02-2009, 06:00 PM
You meant Shrewd grips.

yea thats it! Someone said you had a lab....maybe you could start making those in your lab and selling them on E_Bay :D:D