PDA

View Full Version : shoot through system

jpermenter
11-03-2009, 02:48 PM
What is involved in switching a bow to a shoot through system? about what would it cost? What do you have to change?

bfisher
11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Just for starters you have to have dual cams. Presently the only ones Martin is making are the Furious cams. Prior to that, and very popular, were the Nitrous cams and before that the Fury cam.

As you can see on your own bow you need a cam which also has a draw length module. To have a shoot through system you have to have a second (X) module on the opposite side of the cam.

You also need four cables. A cable attaches to one side of the limb tip and extends to the peg on the cam at the other limb, wrapping around the module. So you end up with two cables crisscrossing each other on each side of the string, which attaches to both cams in a normal fashion.

Your arrow nocks on the string as normal, but is launched between the cables. There is about 1 1/4" between them with standard axles.

So you get all that? You need a bow you can convert. You need the cams with both sets of modules. Then you need a string and four cables.

Cost? You're better off to shop for used parts or just buy a used bow with the X system on it. This is from Martin's parts catalog and prices are MSRP:

Furious cams.................$200.85
Std Modules..................$77.25
Furious X mods..............$103.00
String and cable set.......$147.38

scepterman30x
11-03-2009, 07:28 PM
Kudos in your explanation. It was very articulate and well said. I could not have explained it better.

RogerSr
11-03-2009, 07:35 PM
About two years ago I converted a Cheetah to a shoot through for one of my Granddaughters, I used Nitrous A cams and had the strings and cables made after a lot of trial and errors, I also had to change the limbs to a lighter weight, but she is very happy with it, but I had most of the parts, and love a project,

brushrat
11-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Just for starters you have to have dual cams. Presently the only ones Martin is making are the Furious cams. Prior to that, and very popular, were the Nitrous cams and before that the Fury cam.

As you can see on your own bow you need a cam which also has a draw length module. To have a shoot through system you have to have a second (X) module on the opposite side of the cam.

You also need four cables. A cable attaches to one side of the limb tip and extends to the peg on the cam at the other limb, wrapping around the module. So you end up with two cables crisscrossing each other on each side of the string, which attaches to both cams in a normal fashion.

Your arrow nocks on the string as normal, but is launched between the cables. There is about 1 1/4" between them with standard axles.

So you get all that? You need a bow you can convert. You need the cams with both sets of modules. Then you need a string and four cables.

Cost? You're better off to shop for used parts or just buy a used bow with the X system on it. This is from Martin's parts catalog and prices are MSRP:

Furious cams.................$200.85
Std Modules..................$77.25
Furious X mods..............$103.00
String and cable set.......$147.38

right on! i always wondered what that system worked. So thats what gives it that special edge is that the arrow goes through the cables instead of going around the cable that is being held back by the cable guard. So no cam lean. :) Is there enough room for shooting blazer vanes on aluminum shafts with a system like this? (if one wanted to rig up a hunting bow). It seems too
easy to expect this setup to work on any bow, I'm guessing it can be only used on certain models, huh? thanks

jpermenter
11-03-2009, 07:55 PM
Thanks Bfisher, I was not planning to rig the cheetah out, Im trying to keep it simple. I want to get into indoor and am looking at bows, some have shoot through and some dont. Would you guys pay more for a bow with shoot through? obviously looks like it would cost more, I guess the question becomes, is it worth it? I have never shot one before. Thanks for the input.

wisecane
11-05-2009, 06:45 AM
I have both types of systems. I was out of archery for about 15 years and just got back into it last year. I have a Warthog with Cat2 Cams, A SlayR with M-Pro, a SlayR with NOS-X system, and a Razor-X with the NOS-X system. The X system is very smooth, and those bows hold very well for me. I love my new Warthog for hunting, but I am more accurate with the SlayR and Razor. I know there is a substantial number of Martin shooters that are clamoring for a return of the NOS system. The only reason my Razor-X is on the market is because I have two SlayRs and love them. If I could swap the NOS system from the Razor to the the other SlayR and still have a functional bow to sell in the Razor with the M-Pro I would do it in a heartbeat. Hope this helps.

bfisher
11-05-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks Bfisher, I was not planning to rig the cheetah out, Im trying to keep it simple. I want to get into indoor and am looking at bows, some have shoot through and some dont. Would you guys pay more for a bow with shoot through? obviously looks like it would cost more, I guess the question becomes, is it worth it? I have never shot one before. Thanks for the input.

For a target bow? You bet it's a better system. All cam lean can be adjusted out, it's smoother and easier to tune. Because there are four cables they tend to stay tuned better (less cable stretch). And because there is no side torque induced by a cable rod/slide there is less tendency to torque or twist during the shot.

Scepterman30 knows these things well as he has a house full of them.

From a personal standpoint if I were looking for an indoor bow I would go with an X cam system. You can try it and if you don't like it or have other issues it's easy to convert it to a cable guard system. All you need is the rod/slide and a set of yoke cables and swap them out. Some guys say you remove the "X" modules, too, but you don't have to.

Another reason I say to get the "X" bow is that if you don't and want to try it later it's hard to just get modules unless it's for Furious cams (current model).

Now answering brushrat's question. Martin makes a long axle kit you can buy that has 3 1/4" axles, extra spacers, and e-clips that spread the cables for more vane clearance.

I haven't tried Blazers yet, but have shot feathers (1/2" tall) using Gold Tip 22 series arrows. Sorry, but although they are popular I have no use for Blazers. I have seen too many times where they are so tall that they bring other clearance issues to the forefront. When I shoot vanes I use a Duravane LP-400, but most times it's feathers.

brushrat
11-05-2009, 09:46 AM
For a target bow? You bet it's a better system. All cam lean can be adjusted out, it's smoother and easier to tune. Because there are four cables they tend to stay tuned better (less cable stretch). And because there is no side torque induced by a cable rod/slide there is less tendency to torque or twist during the shot.

Scepterman30 knows these things well as he has a house full of them.

From a personal standpoint if I were looking for an indoor bow I would go with an X cam system. You can try it and if you don't like it or have other issues it's easy to convert it to a cable guard system. All you need is the rod/slide and a set of yoke cables and swap them out. Some guys say you remove the "X" modules, too, but you don't have to.

Another reason I say to get the "X" bow is that if you don't and want to try it later it's hard to just get modules unless it's for Furious cams (current model).

Now answering brushrat's question. Martin makes a long axle kit you can buy that has 3 1/4" axles, extra spacers, and e-clips that spread the cables for more vane clearance.

I haven't tried Blazers yet, but have shot feathers (1/2" tall) using Gold Tip 22 series arrows. Sorry, but although they are popular I have no use for Blazers. I have seen too many times where they are so tall that they bring other clearance issues to the forefront. When I shoot vanes I use a Duravane LP-400, but most times it's feathers.

ahhhh....thanks bfisher, i can see how that would work.:)