PDA

View Full Version : 09 Bengal Speed

drevilmike77
11-07-2009, 09:23 AM
I have a 09 Bengal with the CSS and STS installed at the factory. I have a 29" draw and I'm shooting 70 LBS.... well 68 (won't go to 70) I have a G5 peep, D loop, and a Kisser. My arrows are 365 grains. I shot it threw the Chronograph last night and only got 266FPS. does this seem a little slow to you, or is it just me?

jpermenter
11-07-2009, 07:38 PM
That does seem kind of slow to me, you sure the chrono was working right? I have a cheetah and shot mine at 73# at 28in, with d-loop, peep, and string silencers, with 374 grain arrow at around 270-278 fps. other than that, I am useless and you will have to wait for the smart people to help you out.

Jake-the-snake
11-07-2009, 08:26 PM
seems about right actually

drevilmike77
11-09-2009, 06:14 AM
It kinda bummed me out. I got this bow to shoot faster than my old PSE. it only went 5 FPS faster. 5FPS isnt worth all the money i spent on the bow.

RLW
11-09-2009, 06:54 AM
266 is slower than I would expect from a '09 Bengal at those specs........about 20-25fps slower.

As mentioned in another post, I get 259fps at 64lbs, 28.5"DL, 465gr arrow, and 275fps from a 400gr.

For some reason during my recent speed checks, I did have one arrow that always read 15-20fps lower than the others. (although grouped/weighed the same)
Only difference on that arrow, the nock was green instead of yellow.......:confused:

drevilmike77
11-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Im shooting Beman ISC Energy 360s at 27" with 100grn tips(including inserts).I am wondering if it the Crappy Martin strings?

RLW
11-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Assume has the same (poor served) factory strings I have (my bow is only 2mths old)

I weigh my arrows on a RCBS power scale, and know my chronograph matches what I've been able to calc before on ballistic programs for my rifles/pistols, and matches what an archery program I played with said I should get out of my Bengal and my old firecat.......so I'm pretty confident numbers I'm getting are good.
(I use a ProChrono. It is sensitive to low or indoor light, so all my testing is done outside in good daylight)

Basing my "guess" on that info, w/my '09 Bengal bumped up to 68lbs and using that arrow, I would have expected to see closer to the 285-290fps range.

Jake-the-snake
11-09-2009, 06:09 PM
what do u all have on your strings? the littlest stuff makes a big difference, and what kind of rest are you using? if its a drop away make sure it picks up in the last inch or 1/2 inch of the arrow for the best speed.

drevilmike77
11-09-2009, 06:20 PM
I have D loop, Kisser, and a G5 Peep. I have a Trophy Ridge Drop Zone Rest. I was thinking on getting a rest good for 3D shooting, any ideas?

brushrat
11-09-2009, 06:49 PM
what do u all have on your strings? the littlest stuff makes a big difference, and what kind of rest are you using? if its a drop away make sure it picks up in the last inch or 1/2 inch of the arrow for the best speed.

interesting....mine picks up way before that, probably about 2/3 way through the draw. Is there a way to adjust it to pick up slower ? and also does it affect arrow flight by not supporting the arrow longer? thanks

drevilmike77
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
all i know is that I'm not happy with my arrow speeds

bfisher
11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
interesting....mine picks up way before that, probably about 2/3 way through the draw. Is there a way to adjust it to pick up slower ? and also does it affect arrow flight by not supporting the arrow longer? thanks

You can certainly change the timing of the rest. Where it attaches to the down cable you have to slide the string up the cable more than it is now. If there is serving holding it in place you'll naturally have to replace this after you get the rest set. Just don't go too high up the cable. Too high and the rest won't raise up all the way. You want the rest to hit it's top most position about 1 1/2" to 2" before you hit the stop.

After you get this you might have to retune the bow---or at least check it out. You'll be able to tell pretty quick. Take a shot or two at 20 yards. If the arrows don't impact at the same point then you'll have to do some tweaking.

drevilmike77
11-10-2009, 07:57 PM
I figured out what is wrong with my bow. the Idler Pulley wont spin freely. Im going to call Martin in the morning and see what they will do.

brushrat
11-10-2009, 08:08 PM

hi...i assume you mean the last inch before you get to the fletching. If shooting 4" vanes then you would want it to pick up at what would be aprox. 6" from the end of the arrow. Is that correct??? thanks

drevilmike77
11-10-2009, 09:19 PM
hi...i assume you mean the last inch before you get to the fletching. If shooting 4" vanes then you would want it to pick up at what would be aprox. 6" from the end of the arrow. Is that correct??? thanks

my rest was fine. my bearings aren't spinning freely at all.

bfisher
11-11-2009, 05:01 AM
my rest was fine. my bearings aren't spinning freely at all.

Mike,

You can fix this yourself pretty easily. You have to relax the weight from the limbs and remove the string from the idler. Use a small screwdriver to pop the E-clip from one end of the axle. Push the axle out till you can remove one of the black spacers on each side of the idler. Now spin the idler to see if it spins freely. If it does then it's easy to fix. Just lay the spacer on a pice of fine sandpaper and rub it back and forth for a little bit os it isn't so thick.

Now install it back in place and see the results. Don't worry about whether the wheel will be off center. You aren't sanding that much off.

I might be wrong, but this isn't going to pick you up that much speed, IMO

Strings can be pretty iffy when it comes to speed gains. I had a 2005 ShadowCat that gained 11 fps when I changed to BCY 8125. On the other hand I had a 2006 P3 that gained absolutely nothing after doing the same thing. Some things just leave us guessing. Even so, a set of good strings are never a bad choice for overall performance and stability.

drevilmike77
11-11-2009, 05:59 AM
Mike,

You can fix this yourself pretty easily. You have to relax the weight from the limbs and remove the string from the idler. Use a small screwdriver to pop the E-clip from one end of the axle. Push the axle out till you can remove one of the black spacers on each side of the idler. Now spin the idler to see if it spins freely. If it does then it's easy to fix. Just lay the spacer on a pice of fine sandpaper and rub it back and forth for a little bit os it isn't so thick.

Now install it back in place and see the results. Don't worry about whether the wheel will be off center. You aren't sanding that much off.

I might be wrong, but this isn't going to pick you up that much speed, IMO

Strings can be pretty iffy when it comes to speed gains. I had a 2005 ShadowCat that gained 11 fps when I changed to BCY 8125. On the other hand I had a 2006 P3 that gained absolutely nothing after doing the same thing. Some things just leave us guessing. Even so, a set of good strings are never a bad choice for overall performance and stability.

Thank you. I will give it a try today. My cable string (the Short one) has broken strands in it all ready (not Happy) with only 200 shots threw it. I just saw it when I took my bow apart. : o (

bfisher
11-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Thank you. I will give it a try today. My cable string (the Short one) has broken strands in it all ready (not Happy) with only 200 shots threw it. I just saw it when I took my bow apart. : o (

Where did the strands break?

drevilmike77
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Where did the strands break?

where it bends and connects to the cam. split the serving and had frayed strands.

bfisher
11-11-2009, 01:24 PM
Sounds like a fairly common problem with some of the 09's. I'm not sure whether they have a modified cam or modules. Call customer service and see what they say. 1-800-541-8902

Tell them they should give you a new cable, too.

FYI, this is another one of the reasons I don't like these ultrshort bows. The angle of the cable is more sever coming off the module to the cable guard. Mabe something to consider in your next bow purchase.

drevilmike77
11-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Sounds like a fairly common problem with some of the 09's. I'm not sure whether they have a modified cam or modules. Call customer service and see what they say. 1-800-541-8902

Tell them they should give you a new cable, too.

FYI, this is another one of the reasons I don't like these ultrshort bows. The angle of the cable is more sever coming off the module to the cable guard. Mabe something to consider in your next bow purchase.

I called and talked to Joel and he told me to take it to a Dealer and have them look at it for warranty work. That beans I get to go to The Bass Pro Shops!!!! YAY!!!

bfisher
11-11-2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds to me like you already had this planned.

drevilmike77
11-12-2009, 06:22 AM
No, I just spend to much time there cause its only 1 mile from my house.

Jake-the-snake
11-12-2009, 02:18 PM
wow i wish i lived a mile away from a bass pro shop:rolleyes:

RLW
11-12-2009, 02:48 PM
this made me look.........my closest Bass Pro Shop is 650 miles away in Vegas.
But I am only 5 miles away from our Cabela's, and 2 miles from a Sportsman Warehouse (our local Martin Pro-Shop w/only one Firecat & one Moab last time I checked)