PDA

View Full Version : is this normal?????

brushrat
11-07-2009, 04:44 PM
After tuning my bow i noticed one thing that bugs me...don't no if this can be eliminated or not. When i close my eyes and align my shot up with my anchor points (tip of nose, "kisser" on corner of the mouth) my peep is always left of my sight ring. (aprox. 1/4" or slightly more) causing me to consciously move the string away from my face to get it centerd on the sight ring. I would really like to have everything align instantly when i draw back, without having to make any additional corrections. Do i need to re-tune all over again? If i do any further adjustments to my rest and or sight i'm afraid of screwing up my perfect arrow flight.:( Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks

alex
11-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Do your arrows go straight to the bullseye from different ranges? If so, don't play with the bow anymore. :)

brushrat
11-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Do your arrows go straight to the bullseye from different ranges? If so, don't play with the bow anymore. :)

i am getting good arrow flight.....not sure what you mean about from all angles though? :confused:

i thought a solution might be to try to find a large "kisser" but it would have to be about 3/4 of an inch (75mm , i think that is the metric equivelant) ,but don't know how practicle that would be?:eek:

alex
11-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Well, i didn't mean angles but distance, like 20,30,40, etc. yards. Nevermind...About the kisser - i've never used one - if you're used to it, keep it, if not - i think you can get rid of it. A larger one will add more weight on the string.When i shoot with fingers i put the tip of my index finger on the corner of my mouth, when using a release my thumb is beneath my jaw, in both cases the tip of my nose slightly touching the string. But my point is - if you're happy with your arrow flight and your accuracy don't change anything.
By the way 75mm is about 3 inches, such a kisser will be quite impressing ;)

brushrat
11-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Well, i didn't mean angles but distance, like 20,30,40, etc. yards. Nevermind...About the kisser - i've never used one - if you're used to it, keep it, if not - i think you can get rid of it. A larger one will add more weight on the string.When i shoot with fingers i put the tip of my index finger on the corner of my mouth, when using a release my thumb is beneath my jaw, in both cases the tip of my nose slightly touching the string. But my point is - if you're happy with your arrow flight and your accuracy don't change anything.
By the way 75mm is about 3 inches, such a kisser will be quite impressing ;)

sorry numbers were never my strongpoint! I really don't have much use for a 3" kisser (unless it kisses back!!):D

bfisher
11-08-2009, 06:29 PM
I hate to state the obvious, but something about the bow's setup just doesn't fit you. Can't say what it is, though. The thing I always stress is to make the bow fit the shooter, not shooter to bow.

Once you set your feet and look at the target you should never move your head while drawing the bow. You turn your head and stare at the target and draw to you. If you have to move your head then something is wrong with your form or the bow doesn't fit you or both.

I've never likied a kisser button for several reasons, but recent years even more. Most people setthem so they draw back to the corner of the mouth. Frankly this almost always suggests that the bow's draw length is too long for the shooter.

The string, with or without a kisser button, should cross the lips more to the front instead of the side. If using a kisser, then why do you think it's called a "kisser" button? Ever kiss the wife or girlfriend with the corner of your mouth? Try seeing some pictures of Randy Ulmer at full draw. This is more like I do it.

Maybe you're tilting your head toward the string when you draw and have to adjust your head after anchoring. If so then "wrong chicken".

brushrat
11-08-2009, 07:37 PM
I hate to state the obvious, but something about the bow's setup just doesn't fit you. Can't say what it is, though. The thing I always stress is to make the bow fit the shooter, not shooter to bow.

Once you set your feet and look at the target you should never move your head while drawing the bow. You turn your head and stare at the target and draw to you. If you have to move your head then something is wrong with your form or the bow doesn't fit you or both.

I've never likied a kisser button for several reasons, but recent years even more. Most people setthem so they draw back to the corner of the mouth. Frankly this almost always suggests that the bow's draw length is too long for the shooter.

The string, with or without a kisser button, should cross the lips more to the front instead of the side. If using a kisser, then why do you think it's called a "kisser" button? Ever kiss the wife or girlfriend with the corner of your mouth? Try seeing some pictures of Randy Ulmer at full draw. This is more like I do it.

Maybe you're tilting your head toward the string when you draw and have to adjust your head after anchoring. If so then "wrong chicken".

yes, my kisser is set to touch the corner of my mouth to provide another anchor point that is repeatable. How would you get a repeatable anchor point at some position in front of that? Maybe those guys you see with piercings on their lips are really professional archers and those piercings are really referance points for their anchor. ;) seriously though...i respect your knowledge and opinions bfisher and will try a shorter draw. I'm exactly 6.0" and have a draw length of 28.5", i might try dropping to 28" even.

To re-state my orig. post.....when i close my eyes and draw my bow back using all my anchor points, then open my eyes.... my peep (still at full draw) is positioned aprox. 1/4" left of my sight ring. I have to physically move the string away from my face (that 1/4") to get my sight picture lined up.