PDA

View Full Version : Morning 8 point.

timtim146
11-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Alright so ive been hunting public land for about 5 years now and have never harvested a decent buck on it. Well i only hunt thee weekends because of work but today i didn't have work till later so i figured id hunt the morning hunt. so i get out in the woods about 40 minutes before sun up. i put out my doe in heat and tie my bow to my toe rope. when i get up in my tree to get situated my seat falls to the ground! upset i said ill go without a cushion. So i started pulling my bow up when i notice my bow is stuck and have to climb back down my tree (its a oak and i climb the branches) get my seat and pull my bow out of the weeds. Now im up in my stand 20 minutes to dark waiting. an hour later im scanning when a tail catches my eye about 100 yards ahead of me and i take out my binoculars to look there are 5 does walking my way. So im getting ready because im sure there may be a buck following a way behind. Well there about 60 yards from me now when they all run right underneath me and i start to hear grunting in the distance. Here comes a big bodied spike running these does. Well im ready because ive seen more than one buck run a pack of does so about 10 minutes later after the spike has chased the does all over around me i hear more grunting a little more manley if you would say lol coming from where they came from. Well i see through my binoculars it had for sure 6 points so i was going to take him if i got the chance. Well a doe he was chasing ran right in front of my stand and i knew the buck would follow so i drew back and sure enough the buck came running through my lane. I shot the deer at full sprint about 25yrds in front of me and i gut shot him. He ran about 25 yards to the hill to my left so he was about 50 yards and he had his stomach tucked up. I wasnt sure how long it would take for him to die so i took another shot and dropped him in his tracks. Waited about 20 mins got down and seen that it was a decent sized 8 point! I must say that made my day haha :D

bronko22000
04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Tim - all I can say is that you were very lucky. Shoot a deer on the run with a bow isn't a very ethical thing to do. You were lucky he didn't run into the next county after being gut shot. And usually a gut shot deer doesn't leave a good blood trail and will take about 4 hours or longer to expire.
Now don't get me wrong. I don't always wait for the standing broadside or quartering away shot and I have shot slowly walking deer. But running, no way. The risk isn't worth the reward.

basinarcheryshop.com
05-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Nice. Congratulations

timtim146
08-30-2010, 09:13 PM
lol yeah i know i was lucky but on michigans state land you really dont see much if anything. And besides whats the point in practicing with moving targets if your not going to test your skills in the field?