PDA

View Full Version : New to Archery

Whytrip
05-30-2006, 04:51 PM
This is all new to me.

For years i've been interested in Archery and now i finally have some $ to invest and some time on my hands.

No hunting for me, i'll be sticking to targets.

Most of my day will be spent researching local archery ranges/shop/classes in the Seattle area.

I found a good deal on this bow, look slike a good starter bow....What do you guys think?

Martin Cougar Magnum Compound Bow from the Big Sky Avenger series.

Draw weight is set at 65-70 Lbs.
Draw length is 28 inches.
String length is 34 in. Bow has brand new cable with less then 10 shots.
Axel to axel is 39 in. Bow has black leather wrist strap, stabilizer, silencers, Cobra sight with 3 fiber optic pins, arrow rest, and an 8 arrow Martin Archery quiver.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/5046/7c19jz.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/9939/bb13zg.jpg
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/1443/c017iv.jpg

Anyone have more info? The bow doesnt come with the manual.

ANY advice and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

PLASTIC PAUL
05-31-2006, 10:41 AM
This is a tough one !!! In my opinion there is no such thing as a starter bow. If you have been tinking about this for a while and doing some homework then get the bow you want and save the $$$ you would have spent on the "starter"bow. If you are going to target shoot with no hunting you would probably be happier with a different bow.
The cougars are great bows but there are better configuarions for your purposes.

I will explain more about all of this in a bit, I need to run the kids to school.

I'm back-

I am not sure what you are looking to spend but you can often find very nice target bows in the classifieds of AT or you might be able to find an 03 or 04 still hanging around ina shop. Take a look on the Martin web page and look at the C-4 with elite limbs or a P-3 with elite limbs. It would help to know how tall you are or your wing span to really know what bow to recomend. Thos things will give me an idea of you draw length and that also influences what bow you may really like. A target bow is differnt froma hunting bow in one very important way. In hunting you may only shoot one arrow all day. You may practice a lot or not too much. In target shooting you may shoot as litte as 30 arrows in a game or as many as 112. On top of that if you want to be competitive you will be practicing a fair bit. My point, the bow needs to feel so good you don't want to put it down.

I can call you if you want to PM me your # and i can give you an idea of what to look for in a target bow.

Good Luck, Paul

Whytrip
05-31-2006, 08:07 PM
Hmmm, well, great advice...but its to late. I bought that bow. It was only $120. Thats what was in the budget and it looks like its a pretty good deal for what it is. Whether it will be a good fit for me is another question.

I'm 5'7. My draw length about 27. Hopefully adjustments can be made to make this a comfy bow.

cboutin
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
If you know the year you can get a manual either by calling Martin or you can go to the Tech info section of their web site and down load a manual

PLASTIC PAUL
05-31-2006, 10:53 PM
I am sure we can get that bow to work for you. I noticed it has a good sized rubber grip on it. Is that removable? Most target shooters shoot off the riser. We can get you a nice string on it and get you up and running ! At that price you did pretty good !!!!

Whytrip
06-01-2006, 02:57 PM
My lessons begin on the 10th! :D

PLASTIC PAUL
06-01-2006, 04:20 PM
That is awesome !!! That is something too few do !!! I have taken lessons and now i coach and work with coaches when i can.

Whytrip
06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I figure if I'm goin to invest time and money into this...I'ma do it right. Plus, there are some basics I just have to know regarding general Bow matinenece and safety.

I'll be training with Bob Hickey.

www.nextsteparchery.com

I'm excited!

Whytrip
06-01-2006, 06:16 PM
If you know the year you can get a manual either by calling Martin or you can go to the Tech info section of their web site and down load a manual

Sweet! Thanks.

Bubba101st
06-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I also live in the Seattle area, well, about 40 miles north of Seattle. If you live close I would be happy to help you out. The Nock Point is a great group of guy's. PM me if you want to get together.

Whytrip
06-12-2006, 03:07 PM
First class was awesome!

Lots of fun. My instructor was great.

:D

Bubba101st
06-13-2006, 04:06 PM
Glad you had a good time at the lesson. I hope you stick with it. When I first started in archery I thought it was buy a bow and arrows and go hunting. I found that there is a ton more to a "Good setup" than that. Drink in all you can from your teacher and carry that with you thru out your shooting.