PDA

View Full Version : The Inevitable has happened

bfisher
11-15-2009, 05:39 PM
Looks like I have to place a call to Joel tomorrow. Was shooting indoors this evening and by happenstance started taking a gander at my limbs and by golly my top limb is split right in the fork. Other than looking I had no indications of a problem except that the bow was not shooting quite as consistently as usual, but I though it was me.

How many times have I said these things never happen to me? For once I was wrong. Now I get a chance to test Martin's customer service.

Dave308
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
What bow was you shooting?

Jake-the-snake
11-15-2009, 05:50 PM
im guessing the firecat? my top limb cracked in the same spot, and im telling you now bfisher, you wont be dissapointed with the customer service. I got my replacement limbs within a week and i live in Wisconsin, and the bow is still shooting amazing:D

bfisher
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Yep, the FireCat it was. I find this quite amazing as the bow has 50# limbs and the highest setting they've ever been on was 51# for a very short time. It's year and nine months old and 90% of the shooting has been done at 45# or less and 306 grain arrows so it's not like the bow has been stressed a lot.

I do have to admit that this is the first limb problem I've had on a bow since 1979.

Jake, I am not the least bit worried about customer service. I've talked with Joel a few times in the past to swap parts and order a grip that was not put on a bow and he's come through with flying colors. And it does usually take about a week for things to get to me so I'm used to that.

alex
11-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Good luck Barry,i'm sure you won't have problems with the repair limbs. I do hope it's not Inevitable (with capital I ;) ), because if this happens to my bow it'll be very very difficult to get new limbs, as far as i know our gun shops :( It's a shame my friend from the only one good archery shop here doesn't deal with Martin.

hunter1964
11-16-2009, 10:27 AM
bfisher same thing happened to my friend in Monroe LA firecat, he also had a problem with his CCS on his MOAB and on both issues they fixed him up I am sure they will do you right. I am also a member on BC as hunter9264 but now I am working in the Middle East in Dubai and when I try to log on to BC I get this message Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here, when I go to the click here nothing happens. I think it is due to I am on my laptop that I use at home and over here at the staff house in Dubai my IP address is different. I not a computer gooroo but anyway I could log on to the Martin Forum. Good luck with your bow friend.

bfisher
11-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Good luck Barry,i'm sure you won't have problems with the repair limbs. I do hope it's not Inevitable (with capital I ;) ), because if this happens to my bow it'll be very very difficult to get new limbs, as far as i know our gun shops :( It's a shame my friend from the only one good archery shop here doesn't deal with Martin.

What I meant by Inevitable is that putting an average of about 10,000 shots year for over 30 years through a bow something was bound to happen sooner or later. Fotunately I caught the thing before the bow blew and somebody got hurt. Worst case is that Ill have to put my 2005 ShadowCat back together and shoot it for a while while I wait for parts.

Hunter1964, welcome to the forums. Hope to see you around.

alex
11-16-2009, 12:57 PM
What I meant by Inevitable is that putting an average of about 10,000 shots year for over 30 years through a bow something was bound to happen sooner or later. Fotunately I caught the thing before the bow blew and somebody got hurt. Worst case is that Ill have to put my 2005 ShadowCat back together and shoot it for a while I wait for parts.

That's a lot of bowshooting! :) When do you expect your new bow (Alien Z as far as i remember)? I guess it'll be after your new limbs arrive, but who knows?

bfisher
11-16-2009, 02:11 PM
That's a lot of bowshooting! :) When do you expect your new bow (Alien Z as far as i remember)? I guess it'll be after your new limbs arrive, but who knows?

Alex, way back in the 70's I used to shoot field archery so I pracriced a lot. Every evening I would shoot about 30 practice arrows and then half a field round totalling about 90 shots a day. The Sunday I would shoot field in two different divisions. Therefore I was pounding about 600 shots a week during the summer months. During the winter I'd shoot indoor spots so the total was more like 20,000 shots a year. Now that's a lot of shooting. I don't do nearly that any more. Too old and worn out.

I placed my order for the "Z" a week ago. If the past is any indication I don't expect to see it till the first of the year or there abouts. Usually just about 2 months. Sometimes I think that they would take better care of their staff shooters, but I'm not upper echelon and I can see where they are more likely to build bows for the paying customers first so I don't get too upset about it.

I just got off the phone with Jeremy and he's taking care of me. Sending me out a pair of 2010 limbs. Being as I need new strings he's tossing them in the box along with the Thermal Elite grip that was supposed to be on the bow originally.

Now this part is just for informational purposes, but I discussed the possiblity of changing my Cat cams for Cat 1.5 to optimize the draw length. According to him that would boost the present limbs up by 15#. I'd also have to build custom string/cables of some unknown length. In other words, experiment.

That's just too much thinking for me at the moment. Maybe later. I've still got it in my mind to try Nitrous B cams on this kitty Cat one of these days.

alex
11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Looks like you'll have some interesting experiments with your old toy before the new one arrives :) Please, keep us informed about the results, especially if you decide to make a shoot-through Nitrous Firecat.

flytier17
11-17-2009, 03:16 PM
My sympathies Barry. I hope it all works out for you OK.

I just talked with jeremy at customer service about my Slayer riser. He was very helpful, and managed to procure an old riser for me. Very good service. I am very happy.

Alec