PDA

View Full Version : how many ppl shoot an STS and have a lot of noise

tommyhydro
11-17-2009, 01:41 PM
ok, so i have a STS on my cheetah and have noticed a lot of noise, i guess i am just indecisive as whether or not to keep it on my bow, so i figured i would take a poll of the site. my main problem with deciding is that my rest makes some noise, but i cant afford a new one at the time, and my string has had some damage, like 3 strands broken by my "pro-shop" at my peep sight, figure that would cause some noise too. so how many people on this site shoot an STS and have a lot of noise?

JimmyIkeLee
11-17-2009, 01:54 PM
If your sts is to close to the string it can make noise... Try moving it away from your string farther

alex
11-17-2009, 02:23 PM
I use a STS, but not a factory one, but homemade and i think my bow is more quiet. I made a video of shooting with and without the STS to hear if there's a difference, also upload it in Youtube to receive other people's opinion. May be you can do so?

tommyhydro
11-17-2009, 03:51 PM
just took a closer look at it and found that eventho the set screw was tight, the STS rod wobbled a lil, had to fab a new set screw since i stripped the original one out, hopefully should help, also now have the stopper set about 1/8"

Hutch~n~Son Archery
11-17-2009, 06:08 PM
My Dad has an 07 Bengal, like I said in another thread, and I shoot a 07 Jaguar.
We both have home built STS systems and I believe my bow is actually quieter with it. My Dad's Bengal has to have an STS or it is NOISY even with string leeches.

bowgramp59
11-17-2009, 08:33 PM
i have 2 martin moabs a 2008 and a 2009 both have sts on them, the 09 came with one installed, i made a home made one for the 08 it worked great, but i broke down and got a factory sts for it to , looks better. i also have cat whiskers on both bows strings, I don't like the leeches.t. i thought the 08 was noisier than it should have been , so i let a friend that i trust shoot the bow while i listened , it wasn't as bad as i thought it was. i hope you get another string for your bow, it's not safe imo to shoot with 3 strands broke. good luck

JohnnyThunder
11-17-2009, 09:31 PM
I have an STS and honestly I never noticed it being noisy before I put it on there in the first place, but once I got the STS on there I was surprised how it was suddenly so quiet.

Stevet
11-21-2009, 03:15 PM
Noise issues aside, I like the STS because it helps balance the bow. Unfortunately, my Rytera Bullet X is not drilled and tapped to accept one.

brushrat
11-21-2009, 05:12 PM
ok, so i have a STS on my cheetah and have noticed a lot of noise, i guess i am just indecisive as whether or not to keep it on my bow, so i figured i would take a poll of the site. my main problem with deciding is that my rest makes some noise, but i cant afford a new one at the time, and my string has had some damage, like 3 strands broken by my "pro-shop" at my peep sight, figure that would cause some noise too. so how many people on this site shoot an STS and have a lot of noise?

it made a differance on my bengal:)

just curious...what is it on your rest that is so noisy you can hear it over the shot? Is there not a way to quite it with a rubber pad or moleskin?:confused:

724wd
11-21-2009, 05:31 PM
Noise issues aside, I like the STS because it helps balance the bow. Unfortunately, my Rytera Bullet X is not drilled and tapped to accept one.

and you don't want to add a front mounted STS? i put a limbsaver front mount on my 04 Phantom II, and though i hear the slap while shooting, my buddies say it's quieter from a difference. and i also use cat whiskers.

tommyhydro
11-21-2009, 06:13 PM
well, shot a doe today, and after all the work i did, i think i fixed my noise problem :D

rjd
11-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Well what did you finally do????

bfisher
11-28-2009, 08:02 AM
Yes, please educate us so others may learn from your experiences.

And congrats on the doe.

tommyhydro
12-01-2009, 08:01 AM
i changed out the set screw for my STS and tightened the crap out of it, also rotated it towards my cam and moved it off the string about 1/8". changed quivers too, went to an alpine soft-loc since i like to keep my quiver on when i shoot.

bfisher
12-01-2009, 10:06 AM
OK, you did good. Are you sure the problem wasn't the quiver? They are notorious for making noise.

jpermenter
12-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I have a cheetah and also have a lot of noise, If I flip my STS I need to serve where it hits on the string right? If i flip mine upside down it goes below the factory serving. I havent tried much else but I have shot with the quiver completly off the bow and it made no difference for my bow.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-01-2009, 01:20 PM
I have a cheetah and also have a lot of noise, If I flip my STS I need to serve where it hits on the string right? If i flip mine upside down it goes below the factory serving. I havent tried much else but I have shot with the quiver completly off the bow and it made no difference for my bow.

Sims recommends that you serve where the tip contacts the string. If you don't, you should wax that area FREQUENTLY!

tommyhydro
12-01-2009, 02:21 PM
yeah hutch is right, if you can get some serving material you should be able to find out how to do it online.

no bfisher, it wasnt my quiver, it was veeery loud without the quiver on. but she's quiet now:D

JohnnyThunder
12-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Sims recommends that you serve where the tip contacts the string. If you don't, you should wax that area FREQUENTLY!

Can you clarify what that means for a beginner please ? Does "serve" it mean that the string should be wrapped with that other string - similar to how the string looks along the area where the arrow nock should be ?

bfisher
12-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Can you clarify what that means for a beginner please ? Does "serve" it mean that the string should be wrapped with that other string - similar to how the string looks along the area where the arrow nock should be ?

In a word? YES.

jpermenter, you can flip the STS and try a few shots to see if it gets more quiet. A few shots is not going to hurt the string. If it quiets things down then you can serve it later.

tommyhydro
12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
In a word? YES.

jpermenter, you can flip the STS and try a few shots to see if it gets more quiet. A few shots is not going to hurt the string. If it quiets things down then you can serve it later.
very true, my STS is not the one that martin offers, i had one on my old PSE and just chopped it down a little, i believe the bend in my STS rod is a little more than the martin STS i have seen

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Even though it's recommended to serve the string where the STS touches it, I have yet to serve mine, and as long as I wax that spot frequently, after 100 shots I have had no problem.

bfisher
12-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Even though it's recommended to serve the string where the STS touches it, I have yet to serve mine, and as long as I wax that spot frequently, after 100 shots I have had no problem.

100 shots? You got to be kidding. Iused to shoot competitvely and still shoot my share of indoor target and 3D indoors and out and I wax my strings about once every 1500 shots. Never have a problem with them either. No fraying, no fuzzing. Just normal wear going through the cable slide.

Hutch~n~Son Archery
12-02-2009, 08:48 AM
100 shots? You got to be kidding. Iused to shoot competitvely and still shoot my share of indoor target and 3D indoors and out and I wax my strings about once every 1500 shots. Never have a problem with them either. No fraying, no fuzzing. Just normal wear going through the cable slide.

I don't wax until after a few hundred shots. I said I had no problems after 100 shots because that was the last time I waxed the string and cables. I just have to wax that area a little more often because it will start to fuzz.