PDA

View Full Version : shrinking brace height

ezbite
11-17-2009, 11:28 PM
got my 2010 firecat last week and the brace height was 7" on the money, now it 6 3/4" :confused: can somebody tell me how to adjust back to 7" my ATA is about 3/8" too long, how do i shorten it. im assuming ATA is measured from the cam axle center. one other question, what are the nocks on the string down by the cams for?

Hoosieroutdoorsman
11-18-2009, 12:47 AM
Your strings and cables have stretched out thats why the ATA and the brace height has shrunk, your draw length should be noticeably longer as well. If you still have stock strings on the bow I would get a quality set of strings put on it, I would suggest getting strings and cables made out of BCY 452X and you won`t have those issues again. The nocks are speed nocks, they add about 4-6 fps to the bow.

flytier17
11-18-2009, 07:09 AM
Yes, that is what happened. Shooting it stretched the string. You could twist it back into specs, and see how long it keeps stretching, or you could order a new set of strings. I'd reccommend ProStrings for the new set. they have fantastic strings, and very good customer service too.

Alec

ezbite
11-18-2009, 07:41 AM
thanks for the replys, however im a little concerned here, i paid $600 for this bow and now i need to get a new string after shooting it ONLY 1 WEEK!!! this cant be true.

Spiker
11-18-2009, 08:00 AM
All strings/bows need to be shot at least a couple hundred times when they are new to let everything settle and stretch. Adjustments and setup needs to be done after this break-in. All the measurements need to be taken with the limbs fully bottomed out and the factory specs are not set in stone. Maybe I didnt read your post right but did you take the measurements then change dw then take measurements again? Does the bow shoot good - group good - feel good? Do you have a peep on the string - has it rotated any? If it hasnt then the string hasnt stretched much.
Do the strings/cables show any signs of wear or failure? If everything looks good - I would just twist things up to get your specs close and tune it. There is a lot of good info at AT about getting the most out of the C.A.T. camed bows. Here is one link ''''''-------> http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601

ezbite
11-18-2009, 08:40 AM
no issues at all with the bow, in fact im pretty damn impressed with it, at 20 yards i can get my hand around a group of 6 arrows, id say its grouping pretty good:) i have been cranking down the limbs too, got it from the shop set at #60 and ive been doing 1/4-3/4 turns everyday and last night i checked it and it was at #66

scepterman30x
11-18-2009, 10:33 AM
You mentioned "cranking it down". You do know that depending on how far your limbs were backed out when you checked the BH to begin with; as you crank them down further and further you will lessen the BH. Sometimes as much as 3/8" or more.

ezbite
11-18-2009, 11:25 AM
since last week when we set it up and i took my first measurements, ive put at lease 2 full turns on both limbs (equal turns always) and have been using a feeler gage to make sure the gaps are the same between the riser and back of the limbs. its shooting great because i just shot my first robinhood with it today:D

bfisher
11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Much as I hate to disagree with some of these guys (they're my Martin friends) I wouldn't be jumping too quick to get new strings. The strings on your bow are made by Stone Mountain, and aftermarket string maker that's been around a long time.

Scepterman brought up a very good point about bow specs changing as you crank the limbs down and add draw weight. Then again it's possible you just got a set of strings that aren't up to snuff. I'm prone to believe the bulk of the difference in measurements is from you adding draw weight. Yes, strings will settle ina little when you first start shooting a bow, but my experience has been that a dozen shots should suffice for settling into the cams.

For example I'm still shooting the stock (Stone Mt) strings that came on my 2008 FireCat. The bow is about 20 months old with approximately 10,000 shots through it. They are showing some wear and a little serving separation, but the bow's specs haven't changed appreciably since I got the bow nor has there much peep rotation. So far I've had to add 1/2 twist to the string due to some peep rotation and that isn't squat. For what it's worth my peep does not rotate during the draw. And the wear I mention is where the cable runs through the cable slide---all quite normal.

I'm always averse to making suggestions such as Hoosier did (sorry buddy). What I mean is that I've had strings made from 452 and 8125 and no issues with either. I don't think that one or the other string material is much better than the other these days if made by a good string maker. Strings made from 452 from a lousy string maker are still not the answer. With all due respect to Hoosier I do have to say that 452 is about as stable as you're likely to find if put together right.

Considering how new your bow is, if you really do have problems with the strings I would place a call to customer service to get new ones. You should not be having any issues with them yet.

ezbite
11-18-2009, 11:46 PM
Much as I hate to disagree with some of these guys (they're my Martin friends) I wouldn't be jumping too quick to get new strings. The strings on your bow are made by Stone Mountain, and aftermarket string maker that's been around a long time.

Scepterman brought up a very good point about bow specs changing as you crank the limbs down and add draw weight. Then again it's possible you just got a set of strings that aren't up to snuff. I'm prone to believe the bulk of the difference in measurements is from you adding draw weight. Yes, strings will settle ina little when you first start shooting a bow, but my experience has been that a dozen shots should suffice for settling into the cams.

For example I'm still shooting the stock (Stone Mt) strings that came on my 2008 FireCat. The bow is about 20 months old with approximately 10,000 shots through it. They are showing some wear and a little serving separation, but the bow's specs haven't changed appreciably since I got the bow nor has there much peep rotation. So far I've had to add 1/2 twist to the string due to some peep rotation and that isn't squat. For what it's worth my peep does not rotate during the draw. And the wear I mention is where the cable runs through the cable slide---all quite normal.

I'm always averse to making suggestions such as Hoosier did (sorry buddy). What I mean is that I've had strings made from 452 and 8125 and no issues with either. I don't think that one or the other string material is much better than the other these days if made by a good string maker. Strings made from 452 from a lousy string maker are still not the answer. With all due respect to Hoosier I do have to say that 452 is about as stable as you're likely to find if put together right.

Considering how new your bow is, if you really do have problems with the strings I would place a call to customer service to get new ones. You should not be having any issues with them yet.

thanks, do you think i should give them a call and if so, do you know the number?

bfisher
11-19-2009, 09:37 AM
1-800-541-8902

ezbite
11-19-2009, 10:55 AM
thank you:D