PDA

View Full Version : 1989 M-44 Firecat - Modernization?

Nodak7mm
11-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi All,

Glad to find this site. I am an longtime Martin fan, however I have been out of the loop/shooting for the past 20 yrs. Holy smokes how things have changed!

My Martin background; I still own my 1989 Firecat M-44 (wheels) and I want to use it. Now there has been the old adage that limbs weaken and breakdown over time and this can be a real concern. Mine has been stored, not backed completely off/relaxed but at about 35 lbs. It has always been inside in a “controlled environment” and after an good visual inspection of components, I think it is in fine shooting shape. It was never abused or beat to begin with… It was a high end bow in its day, especially for a 25 yr old kid and I took care of it.

Now, I’d like to here from experienced Martin folk, of any concerns I should have and if there is any components that I could get if need be, such as cables or other riser fittings (sights & rests) that will fit it.

For example I want to get a new sight, but in order to get a new fangled sight, it appears that I would have to take off my cable guard bracket that contains the dovetail fitting that “old fashioned” sights used to attach in order to attach a new sight. I could be mistaken, but….. So I am thinking I’ll need a new cable guard that would screw into the handle fitting on the aft side of the riser.

In short, I would really like to use this old warrior and modernize it. It was a fantastic bow for me and by far, the best I have ever owned. Sure its slow compared to today’s new bows speeds, but I am a lot slower than I was 20 yrs ago too..

So do I still have a useable bow?

Any and all opinions welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Rod in Nodak

brushrat
11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Hi All,

Glad to find this site. I am an longtime Martin fan, however I have been out of the loop/shooting for the past 20 yrs. Holy smokes how things have changed!

My Martin background; I still own my 1989 Firecat M-44 (wheels) and I want to use it. Now there has been the old adage that limbs weaken and breakdown over time and this can be a real concern. Mine has been stored, not backed completely off/relaxed but at about 35 lbs. It has always been inside in a “controlled environment” and after an good visual inspection of components, I think it is in fine shooting shape. It was never abused or beat to begin with… It was a high end bow in its day, especially for a 25 yr old kid and I took care of it.

Now, I’d like to here from experienced Martin folk, of any concerns I should have and if there is any components that I could get if need be, such as cables or other riser fittings (sights & rests) that will fit it.

For example I want to get a new sight, but in order to get a new fangled sight, it appears that I would have to take off my cable guard bracket that contains the dovetail fitting that “old fashioned” sights used to attach in order to attach a new sight. I could be mistaken, but….. So I am thinking I’ll need a new cable guard that would screw into the handle fitting on the aft side of the riser.

In short, I would really like to use this old warrior and modernize it. It was a fantastic bow for me and by far, the best I have ever owned. Sure its slow compared to today’s new bows speeds, but I am a lot slower than I was 20 yrs ago too..

Rod in Nodak

hi...you have a nice bow and if you like it, i'd say go for it!. All the new rests and sights should work fine. THe whisker bisquit works good and a lot of the containment rests out there. I think even a dropaway would work, just serve it in well as those vinyl coated cables are slippery. Almost all the sights should work. I would get one with a round sight pin and at least 3 pins with fiber optic spools for visibility. Since the bow is getting fairly old, check the steel cables for broken strands (that is a biggy). Check the limbs over good and back the limb bolts out some then increase the draw weight a little at a time as you feel comfortable with. There is a post on page 2 of this forum called "prowler" , it is basically the exact information that you are requesting. Open it up and read all that for a little more insight. That is still a nice bow. With those "wheels" and longer axle length it made a nice acurate bow. Good luck and keep er goin!:):)

brushrat
11-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Hi All,

Rod in Nodak

north dakota ha? i was born and raised in aberdeen, so. dakota. I still miss the huntin back there. :)

Nodak7mm
11-23-2009, 04:52 AM
Thanks BrushRat,

Sounds encouraging and I certainly agree with you thinking, yep new string and very close inspection of the cables & limbs will be done. I am a tish overwhelmed by the new stuff. But hope to find a good hunting sight without breaking the bank, just gotta do my home work. Heck, I aint even used carbon arrows, may even try them. But only after I use up all my xx75's I still have.

Thanks alot for you comments and I hope you get back to see Aberdeen sometime. I know it took me 20 yrs to get back up here to my "homeland", due north about 200 miles....

Rod in Nodak

724wd
11-23-2009, 11:23 AM
tru-glo and toxonics are pretty reasonably priced multi-pin sights. i had a toxonics 3 pin, but switched to a tru-glo tool less 5 pin. under $80.

Nodak7mm
11-24-2009, 08:03 AM
724wd,

Thanks for the suggestions. My problem is that I have a dovetail sight mount that also mounts my cable guard. So I think I need to either by a sight that will mount using the dovetail or relocate the cable guard.

I dunno, do the new sights have enough lateral adjustment that would let me mount the sight to the exsisting bracket? Guess I gotta just go looking.....

Rod

724wd
11-24-2009, 09:36 AM
AH! sorry bout that Rod... i forgot this was an older bow. i have a bow very similar to yours in my basement. i was going to convert it, but ended up buying a newer bow.

as to the amount of lateral travel... i think if you took your bow in to a shop and mocked it up, that would give you the best idea.

good luck on your project!

heath

brushrat
11-24-2009, 09:41 AM
724wd,

Thanks for the suggestions. My problem is that I have a dovetail sight mount that also mounts my cable guard. So I think I need to either by a sight that will mount using the dovetail or relocate the cable guard.

I dunno, do the new sights have enough lateral adjustment that would let me mount the sight to the exsisting bracket? Guess I gotta just go looking.....

Rod

if i remember right,mine had two ribs that centered that dovetail on the cable guide bracket. I just unscrewed the dovetail from the bracket and ground a flat spot on the bracket big enough for the sight. With 2 longer screws you can position the new sight right over top of it, leaving your cable guide in place. The right sight setup will have 2 threaded screw holes on it to mount your quiver. You then should be good to go. :)

piota
12-10-2009, 03:45 AM
I wanted to jailbreak my iPhone, but many people told me not to because it will freeze. Do they mean that during the process of jailbreaking, the phone freezes? Or did they mean that it can freeze any time after it is successfully jailbroken? Thanks for the help!